|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Adèle Ratignolle?
(a) Robert's cousin.
(b) Léonce Pontellier's mistress.
(c) Robert's fiance.
(d) Edna's friend.
2. What does Dr. Mandelet tell Edna?
(a) She should stop seeing Robert.
(b) She can trust him.
(c) She should go to her father's home for a while.
(d) She should have another child to console her.
3. What does Edna decide to do about Robert?
(a) Avoid him.
(c) Tell her husband she is leaving him for Robert.
(d) Try harder to convince him to go away with her.
4. What does Léonce Pontellier send Edna after he returns to the city?
(a) A letter with a poem.
(b) A gift.
(d) Divorce papers.
5. What does Edna find when she gets home?
(a) Her husband who is in a rage.
(b) A note from Robert telling her where to meet him.
(c) Her son who is quite ill.
(d) A note from Robert saying he had to go.
6. How does Victor upset Edna at the dinner party?
(a) He sings a song Robert used to sing.
(b) He tells Edna that Mr. Pontellier is not in New York, but rather at his mistress's house in New Orleans.
(c) He tells Edna Robert has married a Spanish woman.
(d) He tells Edna Robert has married an Italian woman.
7. Why does Edna have to leave Robert suddenly?
(a) Léonce sends a servant over to fetch her.
(b) Madame Ratignolle dies giving birth.
(c) She is too distraught to stay with him.
(d) Madame Ratignolle is in labor.
8. What does Mildred decide to do?
(a) Marry the farmhand.
(b) Apply for a nanny's position.
(c) Leave the farm.
(d) Go to a convent.
9. What does Léonce think he has learned by Edna's interaction with her father?
(a) That she has a deep family attachment he had not noticed before.
(b) That she is scared of her father.
(c) That she controls her father.
(d) That Edna is spoiled by her father.
10. Who does Edna visit in Chapter 21?
(a) Madame Lebrun.
(b) Madame Ratignolle.
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz.
11. Where does Edna see Robert?
(a) At Grand Isle.
(b) At mass.
(c) At her home.
(d) At a cafe.
12. What does Madame Ratignolle say about Alcée?
(a) He has gotten a woman pregnant before and abandoned her.
(b) He has a dreadful reputation.
(c) That he is ill.
(d) That he is very poor and looking to live off a naive woman.
13. Why does Léonce scold Edna?
(a) She wants to go back to the summer cottage.
(b) She wants to go with him to New York.
(c) She wants to get out of the house.
(d) He does not scold her.
14. Where does the character crouch?
(a) In a branch of the tree.
(b) In the corner.
(c) In the center of his cage.
(d) In a depression in his cave.
15. What is the first kiss to which Edna has ever responded?
(a) She says she has never really responded to any kiss.
(b) The first one from her husband.
(c) The one Robert gave her during the summer.
(d) One from Alcée.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Edna jealous of Madame Lebrun?
2. What does Mr. Pontellier find that surprises him when he returns to the cottage?
3. What does Adèle Ratignolle do that Edna would not be comfortable doing?
4. On what day does Edna receive visitors at her home?
5. About what does Edna ask Robert concerning letters?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)