|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Pontellier want?
(a) Edna to stay with the children in their room for the night.
(b) Edna to go to bed with him.
(d) Edna to go back to the city with him.
2. What does Edna find when she gets home?
(a) Her husband who is in a rage.
(b) A note from Robert telling her where to meet him.
(c) A note from Robert saying he had to go.
(d) Her son who is quite ill.
3. What story does Edna tell at dinner when Dr. Mandalet visits?
(a) A story about a rabbit and deer.
(b) A story about a rat and snake.
(c) A story about her childhood.
(d) A story about two lovers who paddle off in a boat.
4. What does Madame Ratignolle tell Edna to remember?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her soul.
(c) Her honor.
(d) Her husband.
5. When does Mr. Pontellier arrive at the cottage after the swim?
(a) With Edna.
(b) 3 a.m.
(c) Around 11.
(d) By light the next morning.
6. What is the main character in this story?
(a) A bird.
(b) A dragonfly.
(c) A wizard.
(d) An animal.
7. What does Léonce write to Edna?
(a) He orders her to move back to his home.
(b) That he disapproves of her move.
(c) That he is worried about the children.
(d) He wants a divorce.
8. What is the only thing that makes Edna happy since Robert left?
(b) Her children.
(c) Her husband.
9. What does the character finally do?
(a) Seeks vengeance against its master.
(b) Ventures completely into the outside world.
(c) Leaps off the tree and flies.
(d) Lets itself die.
10. What does Edna promise Madame Ratignolle?
(a) That Edna will attend Madame Ratignolle when the baby comes.
(b) That Edna will reconsider the move.
(c) That Edna will not have an affair until she is sure.
(d) That Edna will not invite men into her home unless someone is present.
11. Where does Léonce think Edna spends too much time?
(a) With the children instead of letting the nanny care for them.
(b) In her art studio.
(c) In bed.
12. Why does Robert take Edna to Madame Antoine's home?
(a) To seduce her.
(b) To introduce her to Madame Antoine.
(c) Edna is feeling ill.
(d) To have Edna's portrait drawn.
13. Who does Edna miss at her party?
(a) Madame Lebrun.
(c) Madame Ratignolle.
(d) Mademoiselle Reisz.
14. What does Léonce think he has learned by Edna's interaction with her father?
(a) That she is scared of her father.
(b) That she controls her father.
(c) That Edna is spoiled by her father.
(d) That she has a deep family attachment he had not noticed before.
15. What is the opening setting for the novelette The Awakening?
(a) Charleston, South Carolina.
(b) Grand Isle, Georgia.
(c) Mobile, Alabama.
(d) Grand Isle, Louisiana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Mandelet?
2. Who pledges devotion to Edna in a letter?
3. What does Adèle Ratignolle do that Edna would not be comfortable doing?
4. What does Robert say forced him to go to Mexico?
5. Why does Edna feel regret about her infidelity?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)