|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Pontellier want?
(b) Edna to stay with the children in their room for the night.
(c) Edna to go back to the city with him.
(d) Edna to go to bed with him.
2. Where does Léonce think Edna spends too much time?
(a) In bed.
(c) With the children instead of letting the nanny care for them.
(d) In her art studio.
3. What does Alcée give to Edna?
(a) A slap.
(b) A threat of blackmail.
(c) An apology.
(d) A ring.
4. Though Edna has fallen from her high position in society, what does she feel has improved?
(a) Her ability to judge people more accurately.
(b) She has more angst which offers more art.
(c) Her confidence.
(d) She has risen in a spiritual sense.
5. How does the character respond to the accident?
(a) It is cold.
(b) It is happy.
(c) At first it is afraid.
(d) It dies.
6. What does Edna think she understands?
(a) Why Robert went to Mexico.
(b) The meaning of life.
(c) How Alcée is able to seduce her.
(d) Why her husband treats her the way he does.
7. For what does Edna not apologize?
(a) Her desire to go away with Robert.
(b) Her desire for a divorce.
(c) Her desire for independence.
(d) Her honesty.
8. What does Edna do that terrifies her?
(a) Swims out too far in the Gulf.
(b) Plays the piano in front of many others.
(c) Drops her baby.
(d) Falls down the stairs.
9. What warms the character?
(a) A sunbeam.
(b) A fire.
(c) A candle.
(d) A lamp.
10. What does Madame Ratignolle tell Edna when Edna returns?
(a) That a fresh catch of fish has just arrived.
(b) That Léonce will be delayed getting back.
(c) That Ã‰tienne was naughty.
(d) That Ã‰tienne is quite ill.
11. Who is Mariequita?
(a) A young woman to whom Robert speaks on the boat.
(b) Mr. Pontellier's secretary.
(c) Madame Ratignolle's nanny.
(d) Edna's maid.
12. Whose picture did Edna keep when she is a child?
(a) A famous playwright.
(b) Her brother's best friend.
(c) One she paints of a boy next door.
(d) A famous actor.
13. What habit does Robert do every summer?
(a) Goes to Canada to purchase new hunting guns.
(b) Swims to the outer islands.
(c) Goes into the Rockies hiking.
(d) Attaches himself to a different female guest.
14. Why does Edna cry after Robert leaves?
(a) She learns her husband is having an affair.
(b) She just then realizes how infatuated she is with him.
(c) She doesn't want to go back to the city.
(d) Her husband wants a divorce.
15. Why does Edna have to leave Robert suddenly?
(a) Léonce sends a servant over to fetch her.
(b) She is too distraught to stay with him.
(c) Madame Ratignolle is in labor.
(d) Madame Ratignolle dies giving birth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the only items Edna takes on her move?
2. What happens by accident one day?
3. What does Madame Ratignolle tell Edna to remember?
4. How does Victor upset Edna at the dinner party?
5. Where do the Pontelliers live in the non-summer months?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)