|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
(a) Léonce's brother's.
(b) Edna's sister's.
(c) Léonce's sister's.
2. What is the opening setting for the novelette The Awakening?
(a) Grand Isle, Louisiana.
(b) Mobile, Alabama.
(c) Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) Grand Isle, Georgia.
3. What are the only items Edna takes on her move?
(a) Those she bought with her own money.
(b) The few presents her husband has given her.
(c) Nothing but a few clothes.
(d) Those she brought with her from her family.
4. Who is Madame Lebrun?
(a) A woman who runs an illicit house.
(b) The woman who rents out the vacation cottages.
(c) Léonce Pontellier's mother.
(d) A famous pianist.
5. What does the character experience?
(c) Hunger, thirst and danger.
6. For what does Edna not apologize?
(a) Her honesty.
(b) Her desire for independence.
(c) Her desire for a divorce.
(d) Her desire to go away with Robert.
7. How does the character respond to the accident?
(a) It dies.
(b) It is cold.
(c) At first it is afraid.
(d) It is happy.
8. Who is Victor with when Edna arrives at Grand Isle?
(a) No one.
(d) His mother.
9. What depresses Edna when she visits Madam Ratignolle?
(a) Seeing Madam Ratignolle happy with her husband.
(b) Getting out and seeing women moving freely on the streets.
(c) Seeing how happy Madam Ratignolle's children are.
(d) Nothing; her visits with Madam Ratignolle always cheer her.
10. What does Edna do that terrifies her?
(a) Swims out too far in the Gulf.
(b) Plays the piano in front of many others.
(c) Drops her baby.
(d) Falls down the stairs.
11. Why does Edna think Robert does not love her?
(a) He refuses to see her when she goes to his house.
(b) He has been in town for two days and has not visited her.
(c) He has married.
(d) He is engaged.
12. What does Edna do in her distress?
(a) Swims out too far into the Gulf and drowns.
(b) Says mean things to Robert.
(c) Slaps Robert.
(d) Says mean things to Victor.
13. How many children does Edna have?
14. Why is Edna's family opposed to marriage to Léonce?
(a) He is Catholic.
(b) He is from Mexico.
(c) He has no family in the United States.
(d) He is poor.
15. What does Mr. Pontellier learn one week about Edna's visitation day?
(a) Edna does not receive visitors.
(b) Edna wants to have Mr. Pontellier join her on the visitation day.
(c) Edna saw only Robert.
(d) Edna changed the day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mildred Orme?
2. Where does Edna grow up?
3. In what faith is Edna raised?
4. What is the first kiss to which Edna has ever responded?
5. Where does Edna take her father when he visits?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)