|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose picture did Edna keep when she is a child?
(a) One she paints of a boy next door.
(b) A famous actor.
(c) A famous playwright.
(d) Her brother's best friend.
2. What is the opening setting for the novelette The Awakening?
(a) Grand Isle, Louisiana.
(b) Grand Isle, Georgia.
(c) Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) Mobile, Alabama.
3. Who pledges devotion to Edna in a letter?
(c) Her husband.
(d) No one.
4. How does Mildred say she can forgive the man who is too forward?
(a) She will not ever forgive him.
(b) If she can forgive herself.
(c) If he marries her.
(d) If he will leave the farm.
5. What warms the character?
(a) A lamp.
(b) A candle.
(c) A sunbeam.
(d) A fire.
6. What does Edna do that terrifies her?
(a) Drops her baby.
(b) Swims out too far in the Gulf.
(c) Falls down the stairs.
(d) Plays the piano in front of many others.
7. What does Edna decide to do about Robert?
(a) Tell her husband she is leaving him for Robert.
(c) Try harder to convince him to go away with her.
(d) Avoid him.
8. How does the character seem?
9. Why does Mildred feel ashamed?
(a) She does not send her mother any money that month.
(b) She lets a man embrace and kiss her.
(c) She tells her father she will not marry the man he wants her to marry.
(d) She doesn't really want to go to church.
10. Of what does Edna remind Robert?
(a) That they spent the entire day together.
(b) That he is going to Mexico the next morning.
(c) That he is going to teach her to float on the waves the next morning.
(d) That he is to talk to Mr. Pontellier the next day.
11. How does Victor upset Edna at the dinner party?
(a) He tells Edna Robert has married a Spanish woman.
(b) He tells Edna that Mr. Pontellier is not in New York, but rather at his mistress's house in New Orleans.
(c) He tells Edna Robert has married an Italian woman.
(d) He sings a song Robert used to sing.
12. How is Edna going to pay for her move?
(a) Money her husband gives her.
(b) Money from Robert.
(c) With money from her mother's estate and selling of her art.
(d) Money from Alcée.
13. Who is Mildred Orme?
(a) A scholarly, twenty-year-old woman, who is staying at a country farm.
(b) A matronly woman with 6 children.
(c) A fairy.
(d) A veterinarian.
14. Who stays behind after the dinner party?
(c) Dr. Mandelet.
15. What explanation does Edna give Robert for having a photo of Alcée in her house?
(a) She is sketching him.
(b) She is having an affair with him.
(c) She likes his face.
(d) She offers no explanation.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Edna receive visitors at her home?
2. What does the character keep doing?
3. Why is Edna's family opposed to marriage to Léonce?
4. What does Edna do in her distress?
5. What does the character not perceive?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)