|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Edna miss at her party?
(b) Madame Ratignolle.
(c) Mademoiselle Reisz.
(d) Madame Lebrun.
2. When does Mr. Pontellier arrive at the cottage after the swim?
(a) By light the next morning.
(b) 3 a.m.
(c) With Edna.
(d) Around 11.
3. By what was Edna taken regarding Léonce before they marry?
(a) His good looks.
(b) His devotion.
(c) His charm.
(d) His constant travels to exotic places.
4. Who pledges devotion to Edna in a letter?
(b) No one.
(c) Her husband.
5. Of what does Edna remind Robert?
(a) That he is to talk to Mr. Pontellier the next day.
(b) That he is going to teach her to float on the waves the next morning.
(c) That he is going to Mexico the next morning.
(d) That they spent the entire day together.
6. What does Madame Ratignolle say about Alcée?
(a) That he is very poor and looking to live off a naive woman.
(b) He has gotten a woman pregnant before and abandoned her.
(c) He has a dreadful reputation.
(d) That he is ill.
7. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
(b) Léonce's brother's.
(c) Léonce's sister's.
(d) Edna's sister's.
8. How does Victor upset Edna at the dinner party?
(a) He tells Edna Robert has married a Spanish woman.
(b) He tells Edna that Mr. Pontellier is not in New York, but rather at his mistress's house in New Orleans.
(c) He tells Edna Robert has married an Italian woman.
(d) He sings a song Robert used to sing.
9. Though Edna has fallen from her high position in society, what does she feel has improved?
(a) She has risen in a spiritual sense.
(b) Her ability to judge people more accurately.
(c) She has more angst which offers more art.
(d) Her confidence.
10. What does Edna do in response to her thwarted need?
(a) Tries to kill herself.
(b) Tries to kill Léonce.
(c) Tries to destroy her wedding ring.
11. What kind of woman does Edna tell Alcée she is?
(a) A little girl inside a grown woman.
(b) She does not bring up the subject with Alcée.
(c) A whore.
(d) She does not know.
12. What does Edna promise Madame Ratignolle?
(a) That Edna will not have an affair until she is sure.
(b) That Edna will attend Madame Ratignolle when the baby comes.
(c) That Edna will not invite men into her home unless someone is present.
(d) That Edna will reconsider the move.
13. For what does Edna not apologize?
(a) Her desire for independence.
(b) Her desire to go away with Robert.
(c) Her honesty.
(d) Her desire for a divorce.
14. What does Mr. Pontellier learn one week about Edna's visitation day?
(a) Edna wants to have Mr. Pontellier join her on the visitation day.
(b) Edna saw only Robert.
(c) Edna changed the day.
(d) Edna does not receive visitors.
15. Where does Mildred want the farm worker who retrieves her papers to take her?
(a) To a dance.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To Eurpoe.
(d) To church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert say forced him to go to Mexico?
2. How does Edna feel when her children go to stay with their grandmother and Léonce is in New York?
3. What does Edna find when she gets home?
4. Why does Mildred feel ashamed?
5. What does the character experience?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)