|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Edna feel she is acting?
(b) On impulse.
2. Why does Edna feel regret about her infidelity?
(a) That she is not unfaithful because of love.
(b) That her husband will be hurt.
(c) That the children will be hurt.
(d) That she will now have a bad reputation.
3. Who comes to the pigeon house while Robert is there?
(a) Dr. Mandelet.
(c) Mr. Pontellier.
(d) Madame Reisz.
4. How does the character seem?
5. What does Edna do that terrifies her?
(a) Swims out too far in the Gulf.
(b) Drops her baby.
(c) Plays the piano in front of many others.
(d) Falls down the stairs.
6. Whose picture did Edna keep when she is a child?
(a) One she paints of a boy next door.
(b) Her brother's best friend.
(c) A famous actor.
(d) A famous playwright.
7. Who is Léonce Pontellier?
(a) A wealthy, successful businessman.
(b) The resort owner.
(c) A friend of Edna's father.
(d) The resort manager.
8. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
(a) Léonce's brother's.
(b) Léonce's sister's.
(c) Edna's sister's.
9. How does Edna speak to her husband?
(a) She refuses to speak to him at all.
10. Who is Victor with when Edna arrives at Grand Isle?
(b) His mother.
(d) No one.
11. What does Dr. Mandelet tell Edna?
(a) She should have another child to console her.
(b) She should stop seeing Robert.
(c) She should go to her father's home for a while.
(d) She can trust him.
12. How many children does Edna have?
13. What does Madame Ratignolle say about Alcée?
(a) That he is ill.
(b) He has a dreadful reputation.
(c) That he is very poor and looking to live off a naive woman.
(d) He has gotten a woman pregnant before and abandoned her.
14. What is the opening setting for the novelette The Awakening?
(a) Charleston, South Carolina.
(b) Grand Isle, Louisiana.
(c) Mobile, Alabama.
(d) Grand Isle, Georgia.
15. Where does Edna plan to move?
(b) Into a smaller house nearby.
(c) New York.
(d) Grand Isle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Léonce Pontellier send Edna after he returns to the city?
2. What does Edna think she understands?
3. What does Mr. Pontellier want?
4. What does Edna decide to do about Robert?
5. What does Robert say forced him to go to Mexico?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)