|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Léonce Pontellier send Edna after he returns to the city?
(a) A letter with a poem.
(b) Divorce papers.
(d) A gift.
2. For what does Edna yearn?
(a) Another child.
(b) A man who loves her for herself.
(c) She does not know.
3. Why does Edna have to leave Robert suddenly?
(a) Léonce sends a servant over to fetch her.
(b) She is too distraught to stay with him.
(c) Madame Ratignolle is in labor.
(d) Madame Ratignolle dies giving birth.
4. How many children does Edna have?
5. Of what does Edna remind Robert?
(a) That he is to talk to Mr. Pontellier the next day.
(b) That they spent the entire day together.
(c) That he is going to Mexico the next morning.
(d) That he is going to teach her to float on the waves the next morning.
6. Where does Edna grow up?
7. Of what does Robert often daydream?
(a) Going to make his fortune in Mexico.
(b) Finding a cure for his mother's illness.
(c) Finding a wife as pretty as Edna.
(d) Going to make a fortune in Australia.
8. What does Mr. Pontellier want?
(a) Edna to go to bed with him.
(b) Edna to stay with the children in their room for the night.
(c) Edna to go back to the city with him.
9. Why does Mildred feel ashamed?
(a) She lets a man embrace and kiss her.
(b) She tells her father she will not marry the man he wants her to marry.
(c) She does not send her mother any money that month.
(d) She doesn't really want to go to church.
10. Who is Adèle Ratignolle?
(a) Edna's friend.
(b) Robert's fiance.
(c) Léonce Pontellier's mistress.
(d) Robert's cousin.
11. Why is Edna's family opposed to marriage to Léonce?
(a) He has no family in the United States.
(b) He is Catholic.
(c) He is from Mexico.
(d) He is poor.
12. Why does Robert take Edna to Madame Antoine's home?
(a) Edna is feeling ill.
(b) To introduce her to Madame Antoine.
(c) To have Edna's portrait drawn.
(d) To seduce her.
13. What is the culture of Edna's husband's circle of friends?
14. Who comes to the pigeon house while Robert is there?
(a) Mr. Pontellier.
(b) Madame Reisz.
(d) Dr. Mandelet.
15. About what does Edna argue with her father?
(a) Traveling to New York at the time of the wedding.
(b) Having an abortion.
(c) Visiting her childhood male friend.
(d) Attending her sister's wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Edna do before she moves?
2. How does the character seem?
3. Where does Edna ask Robert go with her the morning after the swim?
4. What explanation does Edna give Robert for having a photo of Alcée in her house?
5. What is the first kiss to which Edna has ever responded?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)