|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Edna cry after Robert leaves?
(a) Her husband wants a divorce.
(b) She learns her husband is having an affair.
(c) She just then realizes how infatuated she is with him.
(d) She doesn't want to go back to the city.
2. What habit does Robert do every summer?
(a) Swims to the outer islands.
(b) Goes into the Rockies hiking.
(c) Goes to Canada to purchase new hunting guns.
(d) Attaches himself to a different female guest.
3. How does the character seem?
4. What is Edna thinking about as she returns home from the Ratignolle home?
(a) How bad childbirth can be.
(b) What she wants to take with her when she leaves with Robert.
(c) What she is supposed to remember.
(d) Whether her husband will let her see her children if she runs off with Robert.
5. Who is Adèle Ratignolle?
(a) Léonce Pontellier's mistress.
(b) Robert's fiance.
(c) Robert's cousin.
(d) Edna's friend.
6. What does Edna decide to do about Robert?
(b) Try harder to convince him to go away with her.
(c) Avoid him.
(d) Tell her husband she is leaving him for Robert.
7. What vision does Edna have of herself as a little girl?
(a) Falling into an icy pond.
(b) Being hit by a man in a carriage.
(c) Walking in a field of tall grass.
(d) Riding on the train.
8. What is the opening setting for the novelette The Awakening?
(a) Grand Isle, Louisiana.
(b) Mobile, Alabama.
(c) Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) Grand Isle, Georgia.
9. Of what does Robert often daydream?
(a) Finding a wife as pretty as Edna.
(b) Finding a cure for his mother's illness.
(c) Going to make his fortune in Mexico.
(d) Going to make a fortune in Australia.
10. Who does Edna visit in Chapter 21?
(b) Mademoiselle Reisz.
(c) Madame Ratignolle.
(d) Madame Lebrun.
11. Why is Edna jealous of Madame Lebrun?
(a) She has a large inheritance and is independent.
(b) She paints much better than Edna.
(c) Because Robert writes her a letter and not Edna.
(d) She is having an affair with Edna's husband.
12. Why does Edna have to leave Robert suddenly?
(a) Madame Ratignolle dies giving birth.
(b) Léonce sends a servant over to fetch her.
(c) Madame Ratignolle is in labor.
(d) She is too distraught to stay with him.
13. How does the character respond to the accident?
(a) It is happy.
(b) At first it is afraid.
(c) It dies.
(d) It is cold.
14. Where do the Pontelliers live in the non-summer months?
(a) New Orleans.
15. What kind of woman does Edna tell Alcée she is?
(a) She does not bring up the subject with Alcée.
(b) A little girl inside a grown woman.
(c) A whore.
(d) She does not know.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pledges devotion to Edna in a letter?
2. For what does Edna not apologize?
3. In what faith is Edna raised?
4. Where does the character crouch?
5. Of what does Edna remind Robert?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)