|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Adèle Ratignolle?
(a) Edna's friend.
(b) Robert's cousin.
(c) Léonce Pontellier's mistress.
(d) Robert's fiance.
2. Whose wedding does Edna refuse to attend?
(a) Léonce's brother's.
(c) Edna's sister's.
(d) Léonce's sister's.
3. About what is Edna pleased to have broken?
(a) A vase.
(b) Her vows.
(c) A decorative plate.
(d) A pair of earrings Léonce gave her.
4. For what does Edna yearn?
(a) She does not know.
(c) Another child.
(d) A man who loves her for herself.
5. What does Madame Ratignolle say about Alcée?
(a) He has a dreadful reputation.
(b) That he is ill.
(c) That he is very poor and looking to live off a naive woman.
(d) He has gotten a woman pregnant before and abandoned her.
6. How does the character seem?
7. What does Dr. Mandelet ask about Edna?
(a) If she has been associating with women who want equal rights.
(b) If she could be having an affair.
(c) If she could be pregnant.
(d) If she has tried to kill herself.
8. When does Mr. Pontellier arrive at the cottage after the swim?
(a) By light the next morning.
(b) With Edna.
(c) 3 a.m.
(d) Around 11.
9. Where does the character crouch?
(a) In a branch of the tree.
(b) In a depression in his cave.
(c) In the corner.
(d) In the center of his cage.
10. Where does Mildred want the farm worker who retrieves her papers to take her?
(a) To Eurpoe.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To a dance.
(d) To church.
11. Why does Robert say Edna is cruel?
(a) For pressuring him into saying things he should not.
(b) For calling him a Mama's boy.
(c) For letting him see her with Alcée.
(d) For calling him impotent.
12. Whose picture did Edna keep when she is a child?
(a) Her brother's best friend.
(b) One she paints of a boy next door.
(c) A famous playwright.
(d) A famous actor.
13. Where does Edna ask Robert go with her the morning after the swim?
(a) Chênière Caminada.
(b) To visit a voodoo practitioner.
(c) The breaker.
(d) New Orleans.
14. What does Edna say to Robert about Léonce setting her free to marry Robert?
(a) That Léonce has his affairs also.
(b) That Léonce will make certain she never sees her children again.
(c) That Léonce does not own her.
(d) That Léonce will be happy to set her free.
15. Who comes to the pigeon house while Robert is there?
(a) Mr. Pontellier.
(b) Madame Reisz.
(d) Dr. Mandelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the main character live?
2. Who is Mildred Orme?
3. Where does Edna plan to move?
4. What will Edna do before she moves?
5. What story does Edna tell at dinner when Dr. Mandalet visits?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)