|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mariequita?
(a) Mr. Pontellier's secretary.
(b) Madame Ratignolle's nanny.
(c) A young woman to whom Robert speaks on the boat.
(d) Edna's maid.
2. What does the character not perceive?
(a) That it is in a cage.
(b) That it is owned.
(c) The outside world.
(d) Its own self.
3. What is the first kiss to which Edna has ever responded?
(a) The first one from her husband.
(b) She says she has never really responded to any kiss.
(c) The one Robert gave her during the summer.
(d) One from Alcée.
4. What is the opening setting for the novelette The Awakening?
(a) Grand Isle, Louisiana.
(b) Grand Isle, Georgia.
(c) Charleston, South Carolina.
(d) Mobile, Alabama.
5. What are the only items Edna takes on her move?
(a) The few presents her husband has given her.
(b) Those she bought with her own money.
(c) Those she brought with her from her family.
(d) Nothing but a few clothes.
6. What does Mr. Pontellier want?
(a) Edna to stay with the children in their room for the night.
(c) Edna to go back to the city with him.
(d) Edna to go to bed with him.
7. What does Edna begin attending?
(a) The theater.
(b) The horse races.
(c) The symphony.
(d) Noon mass.
8. What does Edna think she understands?
(a) Why Robert went to Mexico.
(b) Why her husband treats her the way he does.
(c) The meaning of life.
(d) How Alcée is able to seduce her.
9. What does Dr. Mandelet tell Edna?
(a) She should stop seeing Robert.
(b) She should have another child to console her.
(c) She can trust him.
(d) She should go to her father's home for a while.
10. Where do the Pontelliers live in the non-summer months?
(c) New Orleans.
11. Who comes to the pigeon house while Robert is there?
(a) Dr. Mandelet.
(b) Mr. Pontellier.
(c) Madame Reisz.
12. What habit does Robert do every summer?
(a) Goes into the Rockies hiking.
(b) Swims to the outer islands.
(c) Goes to Canada to purchase new hunting guns.
(d) Attaches himself to a different female guest.
13. How does the character respond to the accident?
(a) At first it is afraid.
(b) It is happy.
(c) It dies.
(d) It is cold.
14. Why is Edna's family opposed to marriage to Léonce?
(a) He is poor.
(b) He is Catholic.
(c) He has no family in the United States.
(d) He is from Mexico.
15. Whose picture did Edna keep when she is a child?
(a) A famous actor.
(b) A famous playwright.
(c) One she paints of a boy next door.
(d) Her brother's best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Mr. Pontellier arrive at the cottage after the swim?
2. How does Edna feel she is acting?
3. What does Robert help Edna do?
4. For what does Edna not apologize?
5. What warms the character?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)