|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jimmy hope to lead a protest regarding in Book 4: The Quarters (Part 2)?
2. What decade is it when Jane leaves the Samson Plantation?
3. Where does Jane express desire to return at the plantation after Tee Bob's suicide in Book 4: The Quarters (Part 1)?
4. What field worker does Jane describe as being beaten by Samson for sloppiness in “Samson”?
5. What word from the narrative refers to large, heavy shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jimmy Aaron perceived as special by the slaves in the quarters as he grows up?
2. What theme is illustrated through Tee Bob's death in the novel?
3. How is Mary Agnes an exception amongst Creole society?
4. How does the narrative style of the novel change in "The LeFabre Family"?
5. In what endeavor does Jimmy solicit Jane's help in Book 4: The Quarters?
6. How would you describe the Creoles' position and stance in regard to race relations?
7. What does Jimmy Aaron reveal during a church service after his return to the plantation? How is his message received?
8. How has the narrative style of the novel changed in Book 4: The Quarters?
9. How has Jane evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to "Samson"?
10. What does Jimmy Aaron's sacrifice signify for the plantation workers in Book 4: The Quarters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the actions of Ned and Joe in relation to the theme of social defiance. How does each of these characters approach overcoming oppression? Whose method is the most effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Jimmy Aaron in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. How old is Jimmy when his character is introduced? How does his character evolve in the course of the narrative? What happens to Jimmy at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Ned in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. How old is Ned when his character is introduced? How does Ned's character develop through the story? How is Ned eventually killed?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)