|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the narrative refers to an ethnic group mainly living in the U.S. state of Louisiana, consisting of the descendants of Acadian exiles?
2. Who is Tee Bob engaged to in “Confession”?
3. What is Mr. Samson's first name?
4. Where does Jimmy go to attend school in Book 4: The Quarters (Part 1)?
5. What does Tee Bob do as his friend (whom Tee Bob punched) leaves his engagement party?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the narrative style of the novel changed in Book 4: The Quarters?
2. Who discovers Mary Agnres in the end of "Robert and Mary"? How is she discovered?
3. What does Jimmy Aaron's sacrifice signify for the plantation workers in Book 4: The Quarters?
4. How do racial inequality and the segregationist principles of the South impact Timmy and Tee Bob?
5. How does Mary Agnes respond when Tee Bob confronts her in "Robert and Mary"?
6. What does Jimmy Aaron reveal during a church service after his return to the plantation? How is his message received?
7. What leads Tee Bob to punch his friend Jimmy Caya in "Confession"?
8. How are Jackie Robinson's games related to the blacks at the plantation in Book 4: The Quarters?
9. Why is Jimmy Aaron perceived as special by the slaves in the quarters as he grows up?
10. How would you describe the Creoles' position and stance in regard to race relations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Book 1: The War Years. Where does Jane live when the Civil War ends? Where does she decide to go after the Emancipation? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events surrounding Tee Bob's suicide in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. How does Tee Bob kill himself? Why? What does Tee Bob's death represent symbolically in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Jimmy Caya in the novel. Where does Jimmy Caya live and what brings him to the Samson Plantation? How would you describe Jimmy's viewpoints regarding race?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)