|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is sent to bring Tee Bob from hiding in the house in "The Samson House"?
2. What does Tee Bob suggest to Mary Agnes in “Robert and Mary”?
3. Book 4: The Quarters (Part 1) opens with Jane's observation that people are always expecting what?
4. Where does Jimmy say he wants to bring the protests in Book 4: The Quarters (Part 2)?
5. Who is the eldest of Samson's sons in “Two Brothers of the South”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mary Agnes respond to questioning by the sheriff and Raynard in "The Samson House"? What is she advised to do?
2. What leads Tee Bob to punch his friend Jimmy Caya in "Confession"?
3. How does Mary Agnes respond when Tee Bob confronts her in "Robert and Mary"?
4. How is Tee Bob's body discovered in "The Samson House"?
5. What does Jimmy Aaron's sacrifice signify for the plantation workers in Book 4: The Quarters?
6. What theme is illustrated through Tee Bob's death in the novel?
7. How has Jane evolved as a character from the beginning of the novel to "Samson"?
8. How is Jimmy Aaron's early childhood described? Who raises him?
9. Who enters the Samson house in the beginning of "The Samson House"? What information is revealed?
10. What information is revealed as the marchers await Jimmy's arrival in Book 4: The Quarters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Albert Cluveau in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. Where does Jane meet this character? How is he described in the text? What actions does Cluveau take in the story? How do these actions reflect upon his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the thematic concept of "the One" in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. How does Jane describe "the One"? What symbolism and imagery is used in supporting this theme? Who is regarded as potentially being "the One"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Joe Pittman in the novel. When and where does Jane marry Joe? How would you describe Joe's characteristics? What leads to Joe's death?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)