|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The white woman tells Jane and Ned in “Heading South” that they won't find a way to cross the river without what?
2. What are the Confederate soldiers called in "Soldiers"?
3. What name has Ned taken on in “Ned Leaves Home”?
4. Where does Job give Ned and Jane a place to sleep in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
5. For how much money per month is Jane hired on at the plantation in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the slaves been affected by the actions of the north in Book 2: Reconstruction?
2. Why does Jane tell the white woman in "Heading South" that she won't return to her home plantation? How does the woman reply?
3. How is the theme of fear and distrust of whites demonstrated in "Massacre"?
4. How does Job's wife respond when he brings Ned and Jane home in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
5. From what narrative point of view is The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman related?
6. How would you describe the language syle in the novel?
7. How is the theme of social defiance illustrated in Book 2: Reconstruction?
8. Who is the stranger that Ned and Jane encounter in “Hunter”? What is he doing?
9. What is notable about Jane and Ned's arrival at Bones Plantation in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
10. How does irony apply to Joe's death in "Man's Way"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the actions of Ned and Joe in relation to the theme of social defiance. How does each of these characters approach overcoming oppression? Whose method is the most effective? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Ned in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. How old is Ned when his character is introduced? How does Ned's character develop through the story? How is Ned eventually killed?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the Bone Plantation. Who oversees the plantation? How are the conditions at this plantation, as compared to Jane's experiences prior to Emancipation? What eventually leads many of the blacks to flee Bone Plantation?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)