|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman that lives in the same house and looks after Miss Jane, according to the narrator in the Introduction?
2. What does the old man show Ned and Jane to help them on their journey in “An Old Man"?
3. Why does the Klan show up at Jane's doorway in “Ned Leaves Home”?
4. Where does Ned go to collect building materials in “Assassination”?
5. What does Jane inform Ned as they are going to sleep at the end of “Shelter for a Night”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the slaves been affected by the actions of the north in Book 2: Reconstruction?
2. What political ideologies can be seen in the actions of the north in Book 2: Reconstruction?
3. How is the theme of fear and distrust of whites demonstrated in "Massacre"?
4. How does Job's wife respond when he brings Ned and Jane home in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
5. Who is the stranger that Ned and Jane encounter in “Hunter”? What is he doing?
6. What physical conflict involves Jane in "Heading North"? What brings about this conflict?
7. How do Ned's and Joe's attempts at overcoming oppression differ?
8. What is notable about Jane and Ned's arrival at Bones Plantation in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
9. How are women depicted in comparison to men in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman?
10. How does Jane's narrative perspective influence the plot of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events surrounding Tee Bob's suicide in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. How does Tee Bob kill himself? Why? What does Tee Bob's death represent symbolically in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the decline of the Samson Plantation in Book 4: The Quarters. What economic factors have led to the plantation's decline? What political factors have influenced its decline? How does the decline of the plantation impact the black laborers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the genre and the narrative style of The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. From whose perspective is the story related? Is the book fiction or nonfiction? Why do you think the author chose to narrate the story in this manner?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)