|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is destroyed in the flood described in “Of Men and Rivers”?
(a) The hanging tree.
(b) Ned's schoolhouse.
(c) The town temple.
(d) Jane's house.
2. What word from "The Samson House" means to seize and carry off someone by force?
3. What word is used to mean "godfather" in the narrative?
4. Why does Tee Bob return in “A Flower in Winter”?
(a) To attend the funeral of his uncle.
(b) To attend the funeral of his father.
(c) To attend the funeral of his mother.
(d) To attend the funeral of his sister.
5. When was Martin Luther King, Jr. born?
6. What news does Samson deliver to the marching crowd in Book 4: The Quarters (Part 2)?
(a) That the courthouse is closed.
(b) That Jimmy has been arrested.
(c) That Jimmy has been killed.
(d) That John F. Kennedy has been assassinated.
7. What was Huey P. Long's nickname?
(a) "The Kingfish."
(b) "The Hustler."
(c) "The Cowboy."
(d) "The Inquisitor."
8. What word from the narrative refers to a derogatory name for Spaniards, Italians, or Portuguese?
9. Samson declares with the onset of the Civil Rights Movement that anyone who wants the join the movement can do what?
(a) Do so as they please.
(b) Find a home elsewhere.
(c) Help him rally.
(d) Demonstrate freely at home.
10. What organization did Martin Luther King, Jr. help found in 1957?
(a) The League for the Betterment of African Americans.
(b) The Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
(c) The Youth and College League.
(d) The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
11. What term is used in the narrative to describe a person who is one-eighth black?
12. Who is the eldest of Samson's sons in “Two Brothers of the South”?
13. What word from the narrative means to combine one thing with another so they become whole?
14. Jackie Robinson was the first African American to do what?
(a) Run for the U.S. Senate.
(b) Play in the major leagues.
(c) Graduate college.
(d) Attend college.
15. When was Huey P. Long born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mary Agnes make weekly trips, according to Jane in “Robert and Mary”?
2. How is the door opened in the room where Tee Bob has locked himself in "The Samson House"?
3. Why does Mary Agnes turn down Tee Bob's suggestion in “Robert and Mary”?
4. For what type of protest was Martin Luther King, Jr. known?
5. What does Jimmy hope to lead a protest regarding in Book 4: The Quarters (Part 2)?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)