|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jane become angry and beat a man with a stick in “Heading North”?
(a) Because he attempted to stteal her bag of food.
(b) Because he attempted to take Ned's flint from him.
(c) Because he decided to adopt her last name of Brown.
(d) Because he attempted to hit Hardy.
2. What word from the Introduction refers to something that recurs again and again?
3. What does the narrator say he teaches in the Introduction?
4. What happens to Ned's murderer in “The People”?
(a) He is jailed for 6 months.
(b) He is jailed for 3 years.
(c) He is hanged for murder and assassination.
(d) The judge drops the case against him.
5. How many children does Ned have when he visits Jane in “Professor Douglass”?
6. What job does Ned eventually take, according to Jane in “Two Letters from Kansas”?
(a) He becomes a doctor.
(b) He becomes a lawyer.
(c) He becomes an author.
(d) He becomes a teacher.
7. What name has Ned taken on in “Ned Leaves Home”?
(a) Edward Agnes LeFabre.
(b) Edward James Wilson.
(c) Edward Stephen Douglass.
(d) Edward Cluveau.
8. The white woman tells Jane and Ned in “Heading South” that they won't find a way to cross the river without what?
(a) A boat.
(b) A raft.
(c) A white chaperone.
(d) Money for the ferry.
9. Until what year is Ned's school in operation?
10. Who kills Ned in “Assassination”?
(a) Clamp Brown.
(b) Colonel Dye.
(c) Corporal Brown.
(d) Albert Cluveau.
11. What are the Confederate soldiers called in "Soldiers"?
12. How much additional money does Dye demand from Joe for interest when he shows up with Dye's original demand in “Another Home”?
(a) $20 additional dollars.
(b) $30 additional dollars.
(c) $10 additional dollars.
(d) $50 additional dollars.
13. What is the old black man cooking when Jane and Ned encounter him in “Hunter”?
(a) A chicken.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A fish.
(d) A duck.
14. How does Jane describe her mother's death in “Heading South”?
(a) She was killed in a threshing machine accident.
(b) She hung herself in the slave quarters.
(c) She was beaten to death by a slave master.
(d) She was shot by a slave master.
15. What does Jane describe as her chore on the plantation all day when the soldiers were to come in "Soldiers"?
(a) Breaking rocks.
(b) Cooking stew.
(c) Hauling water.
(d) Feeding babies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the old black man say he is attempting to find in “Hunter”?
2. Who is the plantation owner that Job takes Ned and Jane to meet in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
3. Where does the majority of the acton take place in The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman?
4. Where did the white woman that is accompanied by the black flee from in “Heading South”?
5. Hold is Miss Jane Pittman described in the Introduction?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)