|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The War Years (Shelter for a Night – Rednecks and Scalawags).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ned get into a fight in “All Kinds of People”?
(a) A man accuses him of theft.
(b) A boy steals his books.
(c) Someone hits Jane.
(d) A boy tries to steal his flint.
2. For how long does the narrator describe his sessions lasting with Miss Jane in the Introduction?
(a) 8-9 months.
(b) 6-7 months.
(c) 2-3 years.
(d) 2 months.
3. Where does the Union soldier invite Jane to visit him after the emancipation in "Soldiers"?
(b) New York.
4. What impasse have Jane and Ned reached at the end of “Massacre”?
(a) A swamp.
(b) A river.
(c) A giant lake.
(d) A cliffside.
5. How old is Pap described as in the Introduction?
(a) He is in his late 70s.
(b) He is in his mid-80s.
(c) He is in his early 60s.
(d) He is in his mid-40s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is playtime dependent upon for Jane in “All Kinds of People”?
2. What does the old man show Ned and Jane to help them on their journey in “An Old Man"?
3. When does the narrator make arrangements to come and hear Miss Jane's story in the Introduction?
4. Whom does the narrator thank in concluding the Introduction?
5. Whose shotgun does Miss Jane's caretaker threaten to get if needed in the Introduction?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)