|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The War Years (Shelter for a Night – Rednecks and Scalawags).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the woman that lives in the same house and looks after Miss Jane, according to the narrator in the Introduction?
(a) Madame Gautier.
(b) Mary Agnes LeFabre.
(c) Mary Hodges.
(d) Amma Dean.
2. What does Jane inform Ned as they are going to sleep at the end of “Shelter for a Night”?
(a) They will return back to the plantation.
(b) They will stay here for a week.
(c) They will leave her after a month.
(d) They are leaving the next morning.
3. When does the narrator describe going to the plantation where Miss Jane Pittman lives in the Introduction?
4. What options are the slaves on Jane's plantation given after they've been freed in "Freedom"?
(a) They can stay as hired laborers or leave to fend for themselves.
(b) They can lease land to farm as their own or they can work for the plantation.
(c) They can leave or they can work their way up to master.
(d) They can stay and learn to read or they can leave to fend for themselves.
5. How old is Miss Jane Pittman's caretaker described as in the Introduction?
(a) She is in her mid-40s.
(b) She is in her early 60s.
(c) She is in her early 50s.
(d) She is in her late 30s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old man show Ned and Jane to help them on their journey in “An Old Man"?
2. Where did the white woman that is accompanied by the black flee from in “Heading South”?
3. What is the white man's position who approaches Jane and Ned in “Shelter for a Night”?
4. How old is Pap described as in the Introduction?
5. From what narrative tense is the Introduction related?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)