|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The War Years (Soldiers – Heading South).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Ned's mother?
(a) Madame Gautier.
(b) Big Laura.
(c) Amma Dean.
(d) Black Harriet.
2. How long after the narrator's last interview with Miss Jane does he say she died in the Introduction?
(a) 8 months after the last interview.
(b) 2 years after the last interview.
(c) 2 months after the last interview.
(d) 6 months after the last interview.
3. Whose shotgun does Miss Jane's caretaker threaten to get if needed in the Introduction?
(a) Harriet's shotgun.
(b) Judy Major's shotgun.
(c) Etienne's shotgun.
(d) Amma Dean's shotgun.
4. Where does the Union soldier invite Jane to visit him after the emancipation in "Soldiers"?
(b) New York.
5. What does Jane give to Ned after the massacre in “Massacre”?
(a) A bag of food.
(b) His mother's flint.
(c) A book from her bag.
(d) A belt buckle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say he teaches in the Introduction?
2. What does Jane describe as her chore on the plantation all day when the soldiers were to come in "Soldiers"?
3. What are the poor whites called that make it their job to track down slaves in “Massacre”?
4. The white woman tells Jane and Ned in “Heading South” that they won't find a way to cross the river without what?
5. When does the narrator describe going to the plantation where Miss Jane Pittman lives in the Introduction?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)