|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The War Years (Shelter for a Night – Rednecks and Scalawags).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Miss Jane's strongest defender in the Introduction?
(a) Clamp Brown.
(b) Mary Hodges.
(c) Amma Dean.
(d) Judy Major.
2. What word from the Introduction means unwilling to admit or accept something as truth?
3. Why does Jane become angry and beat a man with a stick in “Heading North”?
(a) Because he attempted to stteal her bag of food.
(b) Because he attempted to take Ned's flint from him.
(c) Because he attempted to hit Hardy.
(d) Because he decided to adopt her last name of Brown.
4. When does the narrator make arrangements to come and hear Miss Jane's story in the Introduction?
(a) On Monday.
(b) On Sunday.
(c) On Wednesday.
(d) On Thursday.
5. How does Jane describe her mother's death in “Heading South”?
(a) She was beaten to death by a slave master.
(b) She was shot by a slave master.
(c) She was killed in a threshing machine accident.
(d) She hung herself in the slave quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ned and Jane ask of Job in “An Old Man"?
2. What is the old black man cooking when Jane and Ned encounter him in “Hunter”?
3. How does Job's wife respond when he brings Ned and Jane home in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
4. Who do Jane and Ned ask for when they encounter the Union soldiers in “All Kinds of People”?
5. What is playtime dependent upon for Jane in “All Kinds of People”?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)