|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The War Years (Shelter for a Night – Rednecks and Scalawags).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the white woman that is accompanied by the black flee from in “Heading South”?
2. Who is the Union soldier that tells Jane the slaves are about to be freed in "Soldiers"?
(a) Colonel Black.
(b) Colonel Dye.
(c) Corporal Brown.
(d) Colonel Jackson.
3. How does Jane describe her mother's death in “Heading South”?
(a) She hung herself in the slave quarters.
(b) She was shot by a slave master.
(c) She was beaten to death by a slave master.
(d) She was killed in a threshing machine accident.
4. Who is the woman that lives in the same house and looks after Miss Jane, according to the narrator in the Introduction?
(a) Madame Gautier.
(b) Amma Dean.
(c) Mary Agnes LeFabre.
(d) Mary Hodges.
5. Where do Ned and Jane encounter the old white man in “An Old Man"?
(a) Standing near a church.
(b) Fishing by the river.
(c) Oh the porch of a house in the swamp.
(d) Waiting at a train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Jane and Ned denied passage on the ferry in “Shelter for a Night”?
2. Who is the plantation owner that Job takes Ned and Jane to meet in “Rednecks and Scalawags”?
3. Who is Miss Jane's strongest defender in the Introduction?
4. Who do Jane and Ned ask for when they encounter the Union soldiers in “All Kinds of People”?
5. Where does the Union soldier invite Jane to visit him after the emancipation in "Soldiers"?
This section contains 276 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)