|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1: The War Years (Shelter for a Night – Rednecks and Scalawags).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long after the narrator's last interview with Miss Jane does he say she died in the Introduction?
(a) 2 years after the last interview.
(b) 8 months after the last interview.
(c) 6 months after the last interview.
(d) 2 months after the last interview.
2. What is the old black man cooking when Jane and Ned encounter him in “Hunter”?
(a) A fish.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A duck.
3. What does Jane give to Ned after the massacre in “Massacre”?
(a) His mother's flint.
(b) A bag of food.
(c) A book from her bag.
(d) A belt buckle.
4. What imposing woman leads the slaves on their journey in “Heading North”?
(a) Black Harriet.
(b) Big Laura.
(c) Amma Dean.
(d) Madame Gautier.
5. What does Jane describe as her chore on the plantation all day when the soldiers were to come in "Soldiers"?
(a) Hauling water.
(b) Feeding babies.
(c) Cooking stew.
(d) Breaking rocks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose shotgun does Miss Jane's caretaker threaten to get if needed in the Introduction?
2. What are the Confederate soldiers called in "Soldiers"?
3. Who is the woman that lives in the same house and looks after Miss Jane, according to the narrator in the Introduction?
4. How does the narrator "sign off" in the conclusion of the Introduction?
5. Who is Miss Jane's strongest defender in the Introduction?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)