|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To accommodate the meeting between Henry and Francis in France, what did workmen have removed from the site?
2. When Katherine accompanied Henry to a meeting with Francis, what did Francis later say of her looks?
3. Who married a Spanish princess when Henry was ten-years-old?
4. What did Henry name the child that his mistress gave birth to?
5. How did Henry's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Following his brother's death, what statement from Henry's mother was said to have had a lasting effect on him?
2. At age eleven, how did Henry feel about being betrothed to Katherine of Aragon?
3. What prompted Henry to send Anne Boleyn back to her family home, Hever?
4. What did Henry discover about Wolsey at the Lark's Morning inn?
5. What health problem did Henry's father develop, and how did Henry feel about the possibility that his father would die?
6. How did Henry say things changed between he and Katherine after the death of their first child?
7. What was the public response to Henry when he inherited the throne?
8. At the beginning of the novel, who does Will Somers carry out a correspondence with, and what news does he share in his letters?
9. Who did Wolsey arrange for Bessie Blount to marry, and what worried Henry about this arrangement?
10. Why did Henry decide to have his son, Henry Fitzroy, brought to Court and knighted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship that Katherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn had with the King's Court and the public. Why was their experience with these groups so different? How did it affect their time as Queen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the demise of Henry and Catherine Howard's marriage. How did it come about and what were the charges laid upon Catherine? Who else was charged during this time? How does Henry react physically and mentally to the news of Catherine's crimes and her eventual demise? How do the circumstances surrounding her death compare to those surrounding Anne Boleyn's death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry's third wife, Jane Seymour. Why is she such an important figure during the reign of Henry VIII. What could she do that Henry's other wives could not, and how does this impact her legacy? How did Henry and Jane meet and what was their relationship like? How did their marriage end? How did Henry show his preference for Jane after the end of their marriage?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)