|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his father died, how did Henry feel about becoming king?
2. What ailment caused Katherine constant pain by the time she was forty-years-old?
3. How old was Henry's son, Henry Fitzroy, when he was knighted?
4. What did Henry say of the half-formed, stillborn child Katherine delivered during the Christmas season?
5. How did Henry say his mother treated him as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health problem did Henry's father develop, and how did Henry feel about the possibility that his father would die?
2. How did Katherine's first pregnancy end, and what happened to the child?
3. At the beginning of the novel, who does Will Somers carry out a correspondence with, and what news does he share in his letters?
4. On what grounds was Henry's betrothal to Katherine annulled, and how did Henry feel about the situation?
5. Following his brother's death, what statement from Henry's mother was said to have had a lasting effect on him?
6. At age eleven, how did Henry feel about being betrothed to Katherine of Aragon?
7. Why did Henry begin to seek an annulment to his marriage with Katherine?
8. Why did Henry decide to have his son, Henry Fitzroy, brought to Court and knighted?
9. What was significant about the letter Henry received from the King of France right after becoming King?
10. What did Henry invite commoners to do at the christening party for his son, Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Henry the man and Henry the king. Was Henry as strong and decisive in his personal life as he was when ruling his kingdom? Henry was rather unforgiving of his advisers who did not agree with his beliefs. Is this true for the people in his personal life as well? Did Henry hide any of his personal shortcomings to appear stronger to those under him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henry's fourth wife, Anne of Cleves. How does Henry describe Anne of Cleves? Why does Henry marry Anne of Cleves? What is their relationship like during their marriage? How did their marriage end, and how did Henry treat Anne afterward?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry's family and friends. Who is closest to the King? Who is Henry able to trust? Who betrays him?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)