|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Thomas Wolsey?
(a) A writer of heretic literature.
(b) The man Henry chose after becoming king to add to his council.
(c) Henry's uncle.
(d) The top official of Henry's army.
2. To accommodate the meeting between Henry and Francis in France, what did workmen have removed from the site?
(a) Ruins of a church.
(b) A hill.
(c) A cemetery.
(d) A bog.
3. During Christmas festivities, what did Henry receive from the King of France?
(a) A rancid meat pie.
(b) A bejewelled sword.
(c) A silver harp.
(d) A dead songbird.
4. Why did Henry decide to knight his son, Henry Fitzroy?
(a) Because Henry Fitzroy's mother insisted.
(b) To make it possible for Henry Fitzroy to live at Court.
(c) To stop people from treating Henry Fitzroy with disrespect.
(d) Because having a daughter as his heir would cause turmoil.
5. During what festivities did Henry first see Anne Boleyn?
(a) Knighting festivities.
(b) Christmas festivities.
(c) Midsummer festivities.
(d) New Year festivities.
6. How old was Henry's son, Henry Fitzroy, when he was knighted?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Seventeen years old.
(c) Three years old.
(d) Ten years old.
7. On what day were Katherine and Henry crowned at Westminster Abbey?
(a) Christmas Day.
(c) Midsummer's Day.
(d) St. Stephen's Day.
8. What did Katherine announce as the first anniversary of her and Henry's coronation approaches?
(a) She was pregnant.
(b) She wanted a divorce.
(c) Her father had died.
(d) She wanted to join a convent.
9. What did Henry realize had happened when the King of France sent him a reply to a letter?
(a) That he must dismiss everyone on his Privy Council.
(b) That the French welcomed peace.
(c) That there was a spy in his Court.
(d) That someone had forged Henry's name.
10. After learning about Wolsey's sons, why did Henry have hatred for God?
(a) Henry blamed God for luring Wolsey into a disgusting arrangement.
(b) Henry felt God granted Wolsey more power than he had even as King.
(c) He found that men in God's service were always corrupt.
(d) God took Henry's own son but let Wolsey's bastard sons live in health.
11. What did Henry say of the half-formed, stillborn child Katherine delivered during the Christmas season?
(a) It is without a soul.
(b) It is the spawn of the devil.
(c) It is a punishment from God.
(d) It is the result of his wife's recklessness.
12. After becoming king-apparent, how did the public react to Henry?
(a) With amusement.
(b) With wild enthusiasm.
(c) With disapproval.
(d) With worry over his age.
13. Henry stated that when growing up, the young men around him didn't realize he was heir to the throne. What does Will Somers interject is the tendency of most kings?
(a) To punish themselves.
(b) To delude themselves.
(c) To humble themselves.
(d) To kid themselves.
14. When Henry arranged a tryst with Anne, what excuse for not meeting him did Anne send to Henry in a note?
(a) Her father disapproved of her meeting the King.
(b) She was ill.
(c) She could not disrespect the Queen by meeting him.
(d) She feared for her integrity if she met him.
15. When he became interested in Anne Boleyn, what did Henry order Wolsey to do?
(a) Have her come to live at Court.
(b) Send her presents.
(c) Break her betrothal.
(d) Arrange trysts with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Henry when he became betrothed for the first time?
2. As a child, what did Henry's mother have planned for his adult life?
3. At age fourteen, why did Henry sign an annulment to his betrothal?
4. Where did Henry's brother, Arthur, die?
5. What did Henry pour lots of money into doing after taking over the Privy Council?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)