|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Franklin hope would result when he included his collection of virtues in his autobiography?
2. Who offered to outfit a print shop for Franklin?
3. What did his new employer seek of Franklin?
4. Franklin noted the oldest son being apprenticed in a smithing trade was a tradition that went how far back?
5. What did Franklin spend his earnings on from his first job after going to London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Meredith's father did not pay as he agreed for Franklin's business?
2. What happened upon Franklin's initial arrival in London with promises of assistance from Governor Keith?
3. What did Franklin learn about Governor Keith upon his return to Philadelphia following 18 months away in London?
4. What did Franklin confess he would have done regarding the details of his story but lacked the talent to accomplish?
5. What did Franklin discover had happened to Miss Read during his 18-month absence?
6. What was Franklin's opinion of what he termed "seeming magnitude" of undertakings?
7. What problem did Franklin encounter with a community beer till at Watt's?
8. How did Franklin nearly come to stay in London just before his departure for America?
9. What happened when Franklin set to resume his relationship with Miss Read?
10. What did Franklin and a co-worker named Hugh Meredith arrange to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can it be said that Franklin was not only a noted writer but also a skilled satirist who was not fully appreciated in his day? What techniques did he use to execute his skill in criticizing others with humor in a variety of topical issues, especially in regard to politics?
Essay Topic 2
How did Franklin exploit the game of chess? What were his contributions to the game?
Essay Topic 3
Encyclopedias and professional works include soldier among Franklin's many other credits. How did he execute this role? What accomplishments are to his credit as a military leader?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)