|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter XII, who was the new governor sent from England?
(a) Admiral Denny.
(b) Bishop Denny.
(c) General Denny.
(d) Captain Denny.
2. Which colleges awarded Franklin honorary degrees?
(a) Yale, Harvard.
(b) Cambridge, Yale.
(c) New York, Cambridge.
(d) Wesleyan, Boston.
3. Who did Mr. Whitefield set up an orphanage for in Georgia?
(a) Children whose Christian parents died.
(b) Children of the poor whose parents died.
(c) Children whose indentured servant parents died.
(d) Any children whose parents died.
4. The British troops' march was disastrous and most of the men were killed or wounded, and the rest fled back where?
(c) New York.
5. Franklin proposed the governmental group would contribute an amount equal to what?
(a) Two percent of city taxes collected annually.
(b) That of the subscribers.
(c) Twice that of the subscribers.
(d) Half that of the subscribers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Whitefield was from which locale?
2. Franklin undertook the improvement of law enforcement, including the appointment of non-biased policemen and what else?
3. As he became acquainted with the new governor, Franklin learned who was not only still alive but was seen as one of the best political writers in England?
4. A new preacher arrived of whom Franklin approved as his sermons supported virtuous values, and he published pamphlets for him until he soon learned his sermons plagiarized which individuals?
5. The president would confer with a council representing which group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was one instance Franklin related about government officials skirting the technicalities of legal requirements?
2. How did Franklin respond to the British reaction to their suspicions of the American colonies?
3. In terms of libeling, what guidelines did Franklin note he printed his newspaper by?
4. What was Franklin's approach to Captain Denny upon his arrival from England?
5. What did Franklin relate regarding his famous Franklin stove?
6. What personal problems did Franklin sustain as a result of his delaying his trip to England to negotiate with Lord Loudoun?
7. What was the result of some farmers' request as Franklin's militia prepared to leave the territory?
8. What did Franklin have to say about his almanac?
9. What was Franklin's involvement in Philadelphia's first town hospital?
10. How did Franklin describe his trip across the ocean?
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)