|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which colonial government was Franklin printing these documents for?
(b) New Jersey.
(d) New York.
2. What did the co-worker who helped Franklin do when he was able to set up shop?
(a) Set up some distance away.
(b) Walked out.
(c) Gave their notice.
(d) Failed to show up for work.
3. Franklin noted he was honest about his achievements without being falsely humble or arrogant and stipulated he would have changed some details to look better but did not for what reason?
(a) His life was too well known.
(b) He lacked the writing talent.
(c) He sought facts, not fiction.
(d) He wanted the truth known.
4. One friend, a minister, convinced Franklin to attend several sermons at his church and what resulted?
(a) He found the sermons church-serving.
(b) He and the minister broke their friendship.
(c) He returned to his previous church.
(d) He joined his friend's church.
5. At age 12, Franklin was indentured to James, his older brother, until he was how old?
6. In Franklin's first library system, subscribers paid the cost of how many books as a fee?
7. In printing colonial documents, Franklin met a number of what type of men?
(a) Militarily-oriented and influential.
(b) Commercially-oriented and influential.
(c) Religiously-oriented and influential.
(d) Politically-oriented and influential.
8. What are other traits Franklin believed a "good" individual had?
(a) Loyal, helpful.
(b) Clean, reverent.
(c) Truthful, hard working.
(d) Considerate, brave.
9. Franklin took a new job at what wages?
(b) Equal wages, but longer hours.
10. When Franklin returned to Philadelphia, the former governor did what?
(a) Approached him, apologized profusely.
(b) Ducked into the nearest shop on the street.
(c) Turned and walked away.
(d) Passed by without a word.
11. In Philadelphia, Franklin soon worked for Mr. Bradford's son, Andrew, and what other printer?
(a) Stephen Klein.
(b) Samuel Kramer.
(c) Samuel Keimer.
(d) Stanley Cramer.
12. In his autobiography, the author noted the library became a popular hang-out for which individuals?
(b) Intellectual club members.
(c) Bored youth.
13. After Franklin completed the task sought of him, what did the new employer do?
(a) Sought more of Franklin with no pay increase.
(b) Remained content about his employees' work.
(c) Raised employees' wages.
(d) Became disagreeable with his employees.
14. At his new employment, Franklin gave up part of his pay for what?
(a) A community beer till.
(b) A community poker ante.
(c) A community sports ante.
(d) A community horse racing ante.
15. How did the Read family regard Franklin rekindling his interest in Miss Read?
(b) Favored it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who provided Franklin a letter of recommendation when en route home from Philadelphia?
2. Why did the contact recommend this to Franklin?
3. Franklin considered Ralph a good friend, but an expensive one who did what?
4. Where was Franklin's second, even better job in London?
5. Upon Franklin's return to Philadelphia, where did the Governor of Pennsylvania send him to pick out his own printing equipment?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)