|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Franklin spend his earnings on from his first job after going to London?
(a) Savings for his own print shop.
(b) Housing and food.
(c) Lavish parties and books.
(d) Housing and entertainment.
2. As he believed people should have free access to things that improved their lives, what did Franklin do in regard to his stove?
(a) Refused to patent it.
(b) Helped othrs construct their stoves.
(c) Donated profits from sales to charity.
(d) Manufactured them, sold without a profit.
3. James started his own newspaper in the early 1720s he called what?
(a) Boston Glove.
(b) Middletown Press.
(c) The Philadelphia Enquirer.
(d) The New England Courant.
4. James Franklin was jailed for how long for not revealing a source?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 6 months.
5. David Henry turned down an offer of a partnership with Franklin, but eventually had to close his business for what reason?
(a) He married and moved.
(b) He went to jail for refusing to reveal a source.
(c) Poor money management.
(d) Poor health.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which colleges awarded Franklin honorary degrees?
2. A new preacher arrived of whom Franklin approved as his sermons supported virtuous values, and he published pamphlets for him until he soon learned his sermons plagiarized which individuals?
3. Subscribers signed a promissory note and agreed to pay what for any book they did not return?
4. What happened when a rival learned Franklin planned to start a newspaper?
5. Franklin considered Ralph a good friend, but an expensive one who did what?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)