|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose love from the opera Faust does the narrator describe as a mockery in Chapter 9?
2. The narrator’s harrowed state of mind and seasickness keeps him miserable on the ship for how long before it begins to lift in Chapter 9?
3. Why is the narrator returning to New York in the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How many words does the narrator compile a list of in French as being “necessary” in Chapter 9?
5. What does the Texan take out and drink during the racial discussion in the train car in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the rooming house and landlord where he first stays in New York in Chapter 6?
2. What does the narrator do upon arriving in New York in Chapter 6?
3. With whom does the narrator form a friendship on the ship to Boston in Chapter 10? What do they discuss?
4. How did the author incorporate slave narratives in his descriptions of the South in Chapter 10?
5. How is humor used in the slave narratives and in the novel?
6. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
7. With whom does the narrator discuss race relations while on the train in Chapter 10?
8. How realistic are the hardships faced by African Americans as depicted in the narrative?
9. How is the millionaire described by the narrator? What does he look like?
10. What does the narrator get in exchange for his work for the millionaire in Europe? What are his impressions of the continent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and identify foreshadowing in the narrative. How does the author effectively use foreshadowing in Chapter 4 to indicate that something may go wrong with the narrator’s money? What is foreshadowed regarding the narrator’s future and education in this chapter? How does the narrator respond to his situation at the end of Chapter 4?
Essay Topic 2
Elaborate on the setting of New York City in the narrative. How does the African American culture in New York at this time differ from what the narrator has experienced in Connecticut, Georgia, or Florida? What are his perceptions of the black community here? How does the music inspire the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the book and its genre. Why did James Weldon Johnson choose to use the term “autobiography” in the work’s title? Why was it initially published with an anonymous author? When was it republished with the author’s name? Why?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)