|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Frederick Douglass born?
2. The millionaire offers to take the narrator to Europe with him instead of taking whom in Chapter 9?
3. The narrator’s harrowed state of mind and seasickness keeps him miserable on the ship for how long before it begins to lift in Chapter 9?
4. Who was the author of The Souls of Black Folk?
5. What word from Chapter 7 means a frequent visitor to a place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the success of the Chinese restaurant under the “Club” in Chapter 7?
2. Whom does the narrator spot at the opera in Chapter 9? What is his reaction?
3. How does the narrative distinguish the differences between the North and South regarding race relations?
4. How is humor used in the slave narratives and in the novel?
5. How does the narrator respond to the events surrounding the widow in the end of Chapter 8?
6. What does the narrator get in exchange for his work for the millionaire in Europe? What are his impressions of the continent?
7. Where do the millionaire and the narrator spend time in Europe in Chapter 9? What role does the narrator play in their relationship?
8. Why does the millionaire decide to go to Europe? Where does he go while there?
9. What musical style does the narrator describe in depth in Chapter 5? When did this style emerge?
10. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the book and its genre. Why did James Weldon Johnson choose to use the term “autobiography” in the work’s title? Why was it initially published with an anonymous author? When was it republished with the author’s name? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator’s decision to return to New York after the closing of the cigar factory. Where do the other workers decide to go to look for work? Who chooses to go with the narrator to the North? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery and symbolism used by the narrator in describing Paris and London in Chapter 9. How does he compare these cities? What are examples of personification, simile, and metaphor in his descriptions? How does this imagery affect the tone of this chapter?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)