|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator compares New York City to a great _________ at the gate of the country in Chapter 6?
2. Where does the man that the narrator befriends on the ship ask him to stop for two or three days in Chapter 10?
3. What is the profession of the “fat Jewish looking man” that the narrator encounters on the train in Chapter 10?
4. What dice game is being played in the back room at the refurbished bar and gambling house that the narrator attends in Chapter 6?
5. According to the narrator in Chapter 9, “The Londoner seems to think that Americans are people whose only claim to be classed as civilized is that they have” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator get in exchange for his work for the millionaire in Europe? What are his impressions of the continent?
2. How does the narrator describe the patrons of the club where he plays music in Chapter 6?
3. How does the narrator describe the rooming house and landlord where he first stays in New York in Chapter 6?
4. What have critics noted in regard to the relationship between the millionaire and the narrator in the novel?
5. How does the narrator describe the draw of New York in Chapter 6? What imagery is used?
6. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
7. With whom does the narrator discuss race relations while on the train in Chapter 10?
8. How does the narrator describe the success of the Chinese restaurant under the “Club” in Chapter 7?
9. Why does the millionaire decide to go to Europe? Where does he go while there?
10. How realistic are the hardships faced by African Americans as depicted in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author of the book and its genre. Why did James Weldon Johnson choose to use the term “autobiography” in the work’s title? Why was it initially published with an anonymous author? When was it republished with the author’s name? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator’s relationship with and feelings for his father in the narrative. How does the narrator react upon learning the truth of his father’s identity? How does this realization influence the narrator’s personal identification? When does the narrator lose touch with his father, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the popular dance called the cake-walk. When did this dance originate? How did it evolve over time? What does the narrator say in praise of the dance in Chapter 5?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)