|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator quotes an African American man as once having said, “"It's no disgrace to be black, but it's often very” what?
2. How many years has it been since the narrator has seen his father when he encounters him in Chapter 9?
3. Where had the Union soldier invested capital, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
4. How many words does the narrator compile a list of in French as being “necessary” in Chapter 9?
5. What city does the narrator compare to “a beauty spot on the face of the earth” in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the narrator go after returning to the United States in Chapter 10? Who does he meet?
2. How does the narrative distinguish the differences between the North and South regarding race relations?
3. How did the author incorporate slave narratives in his descriptions of the South in Chapter 10?
4. What does the narrator do upon arriving in New York in Chapter 6?
5. Where do the millionaire and the narrator spend time in Europe in Chapter 9? What role does the narrator play in their relationship?
6. Who hires the narrator as a patron in Chapter 7? What does the narrator do for his employer?
7. How is humor used in the slave narratives and in the novel?
8. How does the narrator describe the success of the Chinese restaurant under the “Club” in Chapter 7?
9. With whom does the narrator form a friendship on the ship to Boston in Chapter 10? What do they discuss?
10. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of Atlanta, Georgia, and the narrator’s impressions of the city upon arrival. How does the city compare with the narrator’s childhood home in Connecticut? How does he perceive the African Americans of the South to be different than those of the North? Where does the narrator stay upon his arrival?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the segregation of white and black clubs in New York during this time period in history. Were the whites who came to the black clubs ostracized? Why or why not? When were African Americans allowed into white clubs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery and symbolism used by the narrator in describing Paris and London in Chapter 9. How does he compare these cities? What are examples of personification, simile, and metaphor in his descriptions? How does this imagery affect the tone of this chapter?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)