|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does the narrator say that the most popular African American jockey of the day earns per year in Chapter 7?
2. What food does the narrator describe as having the power of absorbing alcoholic liquors that have been taken into the stomach in Chapter 7?
3. To what does the narrator compare a massive iceberg viewed from the ship in Chapter 9?
(a) An opal.
(b) A mesa.
(c) A diamond.
(d) A mountain.
4. Whose love from the opera Faust does the narrator describe as a mockery in Chapter 9?
5. For how long does the narrator stay in Washington, D.C. in Chapter 10?
(a) 4-5 weeks.
(b) 9-10 days.
(c) 2-3 weeks.
(d) 4-5 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator claims in Chapter 8 that his section of New York is limited to how many blocks?
2. The man that the narrator befriends on the ship in Chapter 10 studied at what university?
3. The narrator claims that by his third morning in New York, he secured a job doing what in Chapter 8?
4. Whose diplomacy does the narrator say is to be admired when the discussion of race comes up in the smoking train car in Chapter 10?
5. The narrator describes the poker players as practicing what sort of politeness for each other in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the patrons of the club where he plays music in Chapter 6?
2. With whom does the narrator form a friendship on the ship to Boston in Chapter 10? What do they discuss?
3. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
4. What have critics noted in regard to the relationship between the millionaire and the narrator in the novel?
5. How is the millionaire described by the narrator? What does he look like?
6. What does the narrator do upon arriving in New York in Chapter 6?
7. How are the parties thrown by the millionaire described by the narrator in the novel?
8. With whom does the narrator discuss race relations while on the train in Chapter 10?
9. Why does the millionaire decide to go to Europe? Where does he go while there?
10. How does the narrator describe the success of the Chinese restaurant under the “Club” in Chapter 7?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)