|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The man that the narrator befriends on the ship in Chapter 10 has what profession?
2. Where is the “slender be-spectacled young man” from that the narrator encounters on the train in Chapter 10?
3. The narrator claims in Chapter 8 that his section of New York is limited to how many blocks?
4. In describing New York, the narrator states, “To some natures this stimulant of life in a great city becomes a thing as binding and necessary as” being addicted to what substance?
5. The man that the narrator befriends on the ship in Chapter 10 studied at what university?
(a) Fisk University.
(b) Howard University.
(c) The University of Florida.
(d) The University of Georgia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the narrator and the millionaire walk and sit in chairs along the sidewalk in Chapter 9?
2. During his stay in Paris, the narrator usually goes to the theater and ends up at the big café located where in Chapter 9?
3. Whose love from the opera Faust does the narrator describe as a mockery in Chapter 9?
4. What is not allowed at the “Club,” according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
5. What word from Chapter 7 means a frequent visitor to a place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the patrons of the club where he plays music in Chapter 6?
2. What does the narrator do upon arriving in New York in Chapter 6?
3. With whom does the narrator form a friendship on the ship to Boston in Chapter 10? What do they discuss?
4. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
5. Why does the millionaire decide to go to Europe? Where does he go while there?
6. How realistic are the hardships faced by African Americans as depicted in the narrative?
7. Where does the narrator go after returning to the United States in Chapter 10? Who does he meet?
8. How does the narrator describe the draw of New York in Chapter 6? What imagery is used?
9. How is ragtime music received in Europe, according to the narrator in Chapter 9?
10. How does the narrator describe the success of the Chinese restaurant under the “Club” in Chapter 7?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)