|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does the narrator compare to “a beauty spot on the face of the earth” in Chapter 9?
2. Whom does the race discussion boil down to an argument between in the smoking train car in Chapter 10?
(a) Walter and the Jew.
(b) The Union soldier and the Jew.
(c) The Jew and the Texan.
(d) The Union soldier and the Texan.
3. The narrator compares New York City to a great _________ at the gate of the country in Chapter 6?
4. The narrator quotes an African American man as once having said, “"It's no disgrace to be black, but it's often very” what?
5. The narrator claims that by his third morning in New York, he secured a job doing what in Chapter 8?
(a) Rolling cigars.
(b) Washing windows.
(c) Framing houses.
(d) Cleaning stables.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what institution does the narrator spend a day in Nashville in Chapter 10?
2. How many years has it been since the narrator has seen his father when he encounters him in Chapter 9?
3. Where is the “slender be-spectacled young man” from that the narrator encounters on the train in Chapter 10?
4. How much money does the narrator say he has in his possession after their night at the “Club” in Chapter 8?
5. Where had the Union soldier invested capital, according to the narrator in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the parties thrown by the millionaire described by the narrator in the novel?
2. What have critics noted in regard to the relationship between the millionaire and the narrator in the novel?
3. Where does the narrator go after returning to the United States in Chapter 10? Who does he meet?
4. Where do the millionaire and the narrator spend time in Europe in Chapter 9? What role does the narrator play in their relationship?
5. What happens to the wealthy widow in Chapter 8? Why?
6. How is ragtime music received in Europe, according to the narrator in Chapter 9?
7. How does the narrator describe the draw of New York in Chapter 6? What imagery is used?
8. What does the narrator get in exchange for his work for the millionaire in Europe? What are his impressions of the continent?
9. What are the narrator’s impressions of the African Americans he meets in the rural South in Chapter 10?
10. What does the narrator do upon arriving in New York in Chapter 6?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)