|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, the narrator states that he is led to reveal his secret by the same impulse as what?
(a) “The unfound-out criminal.”
(b) “A blind rat.”
(c) “The doctor telling his patient he’ll die.”
(d) “A nun lost in the woods.”
2. The narrator says in Chapter 5 that he picked up the cigar-maker’s habit of riding around in what on Sunday afternoons?
(a) A canoe.
(b) A sailboat.
(c) A horse cart.
(d) A hack.
3. The narrator is earning how much money per week after working at the cigar factory for three months in Chapter 5?
4. Who does the narrator say stood at the head of his list of heroes for a long time in Chapter 2?
(a) Christopher Columbus.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) King David.
5. How much money does the narrator put in his trunk while his fellow roommates sleep in Chapter 4?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does the narrator describe as having “used to lie in splendid neglect on the center table in our little parlor” in Chapter 2?
2. Within how much time is the narrator accounted the fastest at pulling the long stems from tobacco leaves at the factory in Chapter 5?
3. The narrator says that when he was shown about the grounds of the university, he was especially interested in what building in Chapter 4?
4. On what day of the week does the narrator’s mother play the piano in Chapter 1?
5. What is the nickname of the fourteen-year-old boy that the narrator befriends in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the author’s teenage years described? For whom did he work and where?
2. How is segregation addressed when the narrator eats his first meal in Atlanta in Chapter 4?
3. Into what classes does the narrator categorize African Americans in Chapter 5?
4. Where does the narrator begin working in Jacksonville in Chapter 5?
5. What does the narrator discover when he encounters the porter at a dance in Chapter 5?
6. Who is the narrator of The Autobiography of an Ex-Coloured Man? What secret does he discuss in Chapter 1?
7. What popular dance does the narrator describe in Chapter 5? When did the dance develop?
8. What event takes place informing the narrator of his ethnic heritage in his early years? How does he react to the information?
9. How is the second Pullman car porter described by the narrator in Chapter 4?
10. What advice is the narrator given after his money is stolen in Chapter 4? Who helps him out?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)