|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is the narrator when his mother decides to enter him into public school?
2. The narrator’s mother supported herself and her son by what means, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) Tutoring students.
(b) Giving violin lessons.
(d) Growing vegetables.
3. The narrator states in Chapter 2 of his mother that he did not remember “ever having seen her with a book in her hand, with the exception of” what?
(a) The Episcopal Prayer-book.
(b) The Torah.
(c) The Koran.
(d) The Bible.
4. What does the narrator describe growing along the edge of the fence by the vegetable garden in Chapter 1?
5. What does the narrator say he has never been good at because his “ideas of interpretation were always too strongly individual”?
(a) Interpreting the Bible.
(b) Running a business.
(c) Composing music.
(d) An accompanist.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 1 that he feels “a sort of diabolical desire to gather up all the little tragedies” of his life and turn them into what?
2. How does the narrator say he changed his attitudes toward his peers after the discovery that he was biracial?
3. What does the narrator say he had a particular fondness for in his childhood in Chapter 1?
4. With what does the narrator describe having been allowed to play by the tall man with the small, dark moustache in Chapter 1?
5. The narrator states in Chapter 2 that “a true artist can no more play upon the piano or violin without putting his whole body in accord with the emotions he is striving to express than a swallow can” do what?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)