|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Klaus say they were allowed to go to bed?
2. What does Duncan do to show he has had an idea?
3. What do the children have for dinner?
4. Who enters the shack and tells the children how hard their tests will be?
5. What does Violet use the cream spinach for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Klaus and Sunny not question Violet in Chapter 11 when she tells them she will need a crab for her invention?
2. Describe the topic of assumptions that the narrator speaks on in the beginning of Chapter 12.
3. What happens to the children's school work as a result of their S.O.R.E.?
4. Describe the plan that the Quagmires have put into action in order to help the Baudelaire children.
5. What does Coach Genghis tell the children about the exercises the children are to do and orphan muscles.
6. What does Principal Nero tell the children about the exams?
7. Describe the symbol that the luminous circle begins to take on.
8. What is odd about the fact that Violet says "if we are lucky" as the narrator describes it in Chapter 8?
9. In the end of Chapter 8 what does the narrator explain about the Baudelaires' desire to be lucky and how lucky they want to be?
10. What starts the fight between Klaus and Isadora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baudelaire children seem to have a happy moment or two in this story, as they have in the other stories, although the stories always end rather sadly.
1) Would the stories seem different if it had ended at a point before Count Olaf showed up and the children were content with the Quagmire children? Explain.
2) Could the story have ended here rather than with Count Olaf kidnapping the Quagmires? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the narrator achieve by continually warning the reader to put the book down and that the story doesn't end happily? Do you continue to hope for a happy ending despite this warning? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
The children know that Count Olaf always has one or more of his accomplices around to help them.
1) Should the children have known that the two lunch ladies were friends of Count Olaf's? Explain.
2) Why were the lunch ladies able to avoid suspicion when Coach Genghis was not?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)