|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Violet say is the shape of her potato?
2. What happens to Klaus and Isadora over lunch?
3. What does Klaus say he hope hasn't dulled Violet's inventing skills?
4. What does Violet use the cream spinach for?
5. What do the Quagmires need a string for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What starts the fight between Klaus and Isadora?
2. What do the children see at the end of Chapter 11 that makes them realize something is wrong with the Quagmires?
3. What is odd about the fact that Violet says "if we are lucky" as the narrator describes it in Chapter 8?
4. What does Coach Genghis tell the children about the exercises the children are to do and orphan muscles.
5. What do Isadora and Duncan tell the Baudelaires they have been looking for in old newspapers?
6. How do the children do on their exams?
7. What does the narrator explain that Coach Genghis has the Baudelaire children do every night?
8. What plan do the Quagmires come up with?
9. Why do Klaus and Sunny not question Violet in Chapter 11 when she tells them she will need a crab for her invention?
10. Describe how the shack has changed as it is described in the beginning of Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emotions run high in the story.
1) Explain the emotions and the role that they play in the story.
2) In what way do the Baudelaire children and the Quagmire children mirror real life children emotionally given the situation. In what ways are they different?
Essay Topic 2
What purpose does the narrator achieve by continually warning the reader to put the book down and that the story doesn't end happily? Do you continue to hope for a happy ending despite this warning? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
There is a lot of narcissism in regards to Coach Genghis and Principal Nero.
1) At what point does a person's self worth go from healthy to narcissism?
2) Is it better for a person to have low self esteem or be narcissistic? Explain.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)