|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Quagmires' parent leave behind for them?
2. What does Duncan tell Violet is the good news?
3. Who surprises the children while they are talking to Principal Nero about Count Olaf's disguises?
4. What has Nero instructed the children to do during gym time until the replacement gym teacher comes?
5. What does Sunny say she can do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the description of the Prufrock Prep that is given in Chapter 1 as the children and Mr. Poe look up at it?
2. What does the narrator say about the school motto and the effect that it has as the children walk into the school at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What causes the children to lose their appetites in Chapter 6?
4. Describe the food being served in the cafeteria.
5. After having discussed Olaf and their plans to unmask him in Chapter 5 what do the children talk about?
6. What does Nero tell the children in Chapter 2 about the dormitory that they have at Prufrock Prep?
7. What does the narrator say about the current state of the school and what happened to it after the Baudelaire children left?
8. Why does Klaus not accuse Coach Genghis of being Count Olaf when Coach Genghis enters in Chapter 6?
9. What does Mr. Poe tell the children as they walk up to the Prufrock Preparatory School?
10. Explain the narrator's discussion about triptychs and the one he has and the one he would make to signify the Baudelaire children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Baudelaire and Quagmire children felt that they had no options left when they decided to switch shoes.
What other options had been left open to them? What had they not thought of? Did they try everything given what is known about the series?
Essay Topic 2
The children feel that running away is not an option. Given the people that are watching over the children and the fact that they continually fall into Count Olaf's plans would it have been wrong for them to run away? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the behavior of Principal Nero.
1) Why does he insist on mocking the children?
2) Why does he raise their hopes about the dormitory before telling them they will live in the shack?
3) Why did he laugh at the children before they left?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)