|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Principal Nero's nose compared to?
2. What is Principal Nero's tie decorated with?
3. What is one of Sunny's favorite things to do?
4. What is it said that the title of the architect that designed Prufrock Prep should have been called?
5. What is NOT said that Count Olaf has done to the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the narrator's discussion about triptychs and the one he has and the one he would make to signify the Baudelaire children.
2. How does the narrator describe the words 'hee hee hee' to the reader as the Baudelaire children hear them in the end of Chapter 2?
3. Describe Violet's class in room one with Mr. Remora.
4. Describe what Violet is thinking about in Chapter 1 as they are walking towards the school for the first time.
5. What is the explanation that the narrator gives the expression "Mountain out of a Molehill" in Chapter 3?
6. What do Coach Genghis and Principal Nero talk about on the way to the auditorium?
7. What background information is given to the reader in Chapter 1 regarding the relationship and past events between the Baudelaire children and Count Olaf?
8. What does Nero tell the children in Chapter 2 about the dormitory that they have at Prufrock Prep?
9. Describe the food being served in the cafeteria.
10. Describe the story of Violet and Klaus going to the fair when their uncle entered a pig into the contest.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme change from the beginning of the story to the end of the story? Are the Baudelaire children better off in the beginning of the story or the end of the story and in what way?
Essay Topic 2
The children know that Count Olaf always has one or more of his accomplices around to help them.
1) Should the children have known that the two lunch ladies were friends of Count Olaf's? Explain.
2) Why were the lunch ladies able to avoid suspicion when Coach Genghis was not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the Quagmires insist on being called triplets even though their brother is dead, leaving only the two of them?
Is it more appropriate to call them twins than triplets? Explain your answers.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)