|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Remora constantly eat?
2. What does Carmelita tell the children it is traditional to give a special messenger?
3. What does Klaus say he is going to read up on?
4. What does Nero tell the children the shack that they are going to live in is made out of?
5. What does Mrs. Bass NOT have the children measure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene as the Baudelaire children are told to leave Nero's office in Chapter 2.
2. What causes the children to lose their appetites in Chapter 6?
3. What is the description of the Prufrock Prep that is given in Chapter 1 as the children and Mr. Poe look up at it?
4. What does Principal Nero tell the children about his life and being principal?
5. Explain the narrator's discussion about triptychs and the one he has and the one he would make to signify the Baudelaire children.
6. What do the Quagmire and Baudelaire children talk about doing when they grow up in Chapter 4?
7. What does the narrator say about the current state of the school and what happened to it after the Baudelaire children left?
8. Describe the story of Violet and Klaus going to the fair when their uncle entered a pig into the contest.
9. Describe what Violet is thinking about in Chapter 1 as they are walking towards the school for the first time.
10. After having discussed Olaf and their plans to unmask him in Chapter 5 what do the children talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the theme change from the beginning of the story to the end of the story? Are the Baudelaire children better off in the beginning of the story or the end of the story and in what way?
Essay Topic 2
Do you pity the Baudelaire children? Explain your answer and why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Carmelita Spats' character. Compare her to Count Olaf. In what ways are they similar? In what ways are the different? Explain.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)