|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in the novel’s Prologue, the Nazis sent expeditions to Antarctica in what years?
2. Where is the present-day site of Lake Toba and the supposed Toba super-eruption?
3. In what year did Indonesia declare independence from the Netherlands?
4. By what name does Dr. Martin Grey address the man who has kidnapped Dr. Warner and whom she believes to be responsible for the kidnapping of her subjects, in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 28?
5. Martin Grey tells Dorian Sloane in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 45 that what he knows of the structure under the submarine is that it’s very old. “At least as old as the ruins” where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Kate awaken in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 40? How is this setting described?
2. How is the uncovered artifact described in the novel’s Prologue? What words are seen on the side of the vessel?
3. What do Martin Grey and Dorian Sloane find inside the submarine in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 45?
4. What does Josh Cohen discover in the letter left to him by David Vale in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 25?
5. What happens when David Vale jumps onto the train in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 2?
6. What is significant about the information revealed in the press release in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 43?
7. What development has occurred with Kate’s study in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 3? What conflict takes place in the chapter?
8. What setting is described in the opening of Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 45? What special gear does Martin Grey don in the opening of the chapter?
9. What coded message does David Vale find through the craigslist ads in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 42?
10. What is the setting of Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 6? Who is the main character in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Dr. Shen Chang in The Atlantis Gene. What is Dr. Chang’s objective in his current study? Who oversees this study and research? How does Dr. Chang respond to the results of his testing? Do you believe this character is a protagonist or antagonist? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of truth and secrecy in The Atlantis Gene. How do these themes apply to Kate’s character? What “secrets” does Kate hold in the narrative? How do the themes apply to David Vale? How do these themes relate to the Immari Corporation and the Clocktower organization?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the monastery where Kate and David are taken after escaping the Immari Headquarters in Tibet, and the character of Milo. How old is Milo described? How does Milo’s personality differ from most of the other characters in the novel? How does Milo help Kate and David?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)