|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David Vale tells Josh Cohen in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 12 that of the 240 attendees at the conference, how many “never made it home”?
2. Dr. Chang tells Dorian Sloane in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 50, “The first human genome was sequenced in the 90s, and the draft sequence was published in February of 2001.” Who was the first to sequence the human genome and the first to create the first cell with a synthetic genome?
3. By what name does Dr. Martin Grey address the man who has kidnapped Dr. Warner and whom she believes to be responsible for the kidnapping of her subjects, in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 28?
4. Where does David discover the hidden code sent to him from Josh Cohen in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 42?
5. Who is the director of the Clocktower counterterrorism organization in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characters and setting are introduced in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 48?
2. What is the setting of Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 6? Who is the main character in this chapter?
3. What does Josh Cohen discover in the letter left to him by David Vale in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 25?
4. How does Josh Cohen discover David Vale is still alive in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 25? What danger does Josh face at this point?
5. What new information does the reader learn from the press releases that comprise Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 27?
6. What actions does Dorian Sloane take in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 47? Whom does he contact?
7. Where does Kate awaken in Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 40? How is this setting described?
8. What setting is described in the opening of Part II: "A Tibetan Tapestry," Chapter 45? What special gear does Martin Grey don in the opening of the chapter?
9. What is the setting described in the opening of the novel’s Prologue? What is taking place in this setting?
10. What is Vincent Tarea watching in Part I: "Jakarta Burning," Chapter 21? What information does he gain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss radiation sickness and the effects of short-term and long-term radiation on the human body. Where did most of the research related to radiation poisoning come from? How are the effects of radiation seen in the Bell in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Dr. Katherine Warner in The Atlantis Gene. Approximately how old is Kate? How long has she been conducting research in Jakarta? What is revealed of her past? How does Kate’s character evolve in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the attacks on 9/11 at the World Trade Center in New York and how this event relates to the novel. What was David’s experience like during the terrorist attacks on 9/11? How did these events lead David to his work with Clocktower? What are examples of different conspiracy theories related to 9/11? How do these compare with David’s theories?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)