|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point in the conversation with Cor Takes does Anton become emotional?
2. How does Anton respond to Fake Ploeg's anger at the end of the Third Episode?
3. How does Cor Takes react to meeting Anton?
4. What does Fake Ploeg consider his father to be?
5. In the Fourth Episode, Anton attends a funeral for whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is in Cor Takes's basement?
2. What are the similarities and differences between Anton and Fake Ploeg (the son)?
3. What does Anton realize about his wife after speaking to Cor Takes?
4. Describe the meeting of Anton and Fake Ploeg when they are adults.
5. What had prevented Truus Coster from escaping on the night of the assault?
6. How does Anton feel about politics?
7. How does Anton meet Cor Takes?
8. How does Fake Ploeg speak of his father?
9. Is Anton eager to discuss the night of the assault with Cor Takes?
10. How does Anton respond to the political unrest in Amsterdam in the Third Episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book, Anton's family consists of his parents and Peter. At the end, he has created a new family for himself. Discuss Anton's relationship with his family members, including both of his wives and his children.
Essay Topic 2
Anton has no interest in politics, but he is unable to completely ignore it. Choose two political events that happen during "The Assault" and describe their effect on Anton's life.
Essay Topic 3
Just as many characters could be considered culpable of the murder of the Steenwijks, many also deal with guilt. Choose three characters from the Assault and answer the following questions.
1) What part does the character have in the night of the assault?
2) Why does the character consider himself or herself guilty?
3) How does the character deal with that guilt?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)