|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cor Takes react to meeting Anton?
2. Who does Fake Ploeg consider responsible for the death of Anton's parents?
3. At what point in the conversation with Cor Takes does Anton become emotional?
4. Why did Cor Takes escape on the night of the assault?
5. When Anton meets Fake Ploeg as an adult, what does Fake look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Anton and Cor Takes to become emotional while discussing the night of the assault?
2. What calls Cor Takes away from the basement while Anton is visiting him?
3. What is the atmosphere at the funeral in the Fourth Episode?
4. What are the similarities and differences between Anton and Fake Ploeg (the son)?
5. Why does Anton choose to study anesthesiology?
6. What had prevented Truus Coster from escaping on the night of the assault?
7. Describe Anton's first wife.
8. How does Anton feel about politics?
9. What are Anton's pastimes while he is an intern?
10. What is the political climate in the Third Episode?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Anton encounters her for only a few hours, Truus Coster plays an important role. Who is this woman, what is her part in the shooting of Cor Takes, and how does she influence Anton?
Essay Topic 2
Just as many characters could be considered culpable of the murder of the Steenwijks, many also deal with guilt. Choose three characters from the Assault and answer the following questions.
1) What part does the character have in the night of the assault?
2) Why does the character consider himself or herself guilty?
3) How does the character deal with that guilt?
Essay Topic 3
Several women have a significant impact on Anton's life. Choose three of them, explain their relationship to Anton, and describe the influence they had on him.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)