|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the First Episode, who questions Anton when he reaches Amsterdam?
2. What is the name of the man shot in front of Anton's house?
3. The woman in the cell with Anton is in love with whom?
4. With whom is Anton living during the Second Episode?
5. Who refuses to speak to Van Liempt when he inquires after the fate of Anton's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Anton's parents different from the others listed on the memorial?
2. After the liberation, how does Anton find out whether his parents are dead or alive?
3. What do the German soldiers do to Anton's home Carefree?
4. Why does Mr. Steenwijk teach Peter and Anton at home?
5. Why does Anton not know about the memorial to the Resistance hostages until Mrs. Beumer tells him?
6. When returning to his neighborhood for the first time since the assault, how does Anton respond to Mrs. Beumer's invitation to come inside?
7. Describe Anton's childhood neighbors.
8. Describe the neighborhood in which Anton grows up.
9. In the First Episode, why does Anton not jump out of the truck when the convoy is attacked?
10. In the Second Episode, why does Anton leave the birthday party early?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several women have a significant impact on Anton's life. Choose three of them, explain their relationship to Anton, and describe the influence they had on him.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the names of the four houses on the quay? Include the personalities of the residents and the events surrounding each house in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Anton has no interest in politics, but he is unable to completely ignore it. Choose two political events that happen during "The Assault" and describe their effect on Anton's life.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)