|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is left of Anton's old house in the Second Episode?
2. Why does Anton speculate that Peter's name is not on the monument?
3. What happens to Anton's escort on the way to Amsterdam?
4. In the First Episode, who questions Anton when he reaches Amsterdam?
5. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anton not know about the memorial to the Resistance hostages until Mrs. Beumer tells him?
2. What happens to Anton the morning after the shooting?
3. Why does Mr. Steenwijk teach Peter and Anton at home?
4. What are the similarities between the author Harry Mulisch and the character Anton?
5. When returning to his neighborhood for the first time since the assault, how does Anton respond to Mrs. Beumer's invitation to come inside?
6. In the First Episode, what happens to Anton's escort on the way to Amsterdam?
7. Describe the neighborhood in which Anton grows up.
8. When he returns to his old neighborhood, what information does Mrs. Beumer give Anton that he had not known before?
9. Describe Anton's childhood neighbors.
10. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the names of the four houses on the quay? Include the personalities of the residents and the events surrounding each house in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Almost every character in "The Assault" is affected in some way by the shooting of Fake Ploeg. Choose three characters other than Anton and explain how their lives are changed by the assault.
Essay Topic 3
Retribution is a theme connected with the shooting of Fake Ploeg. Do any of the characters in "The Assault" deserve to die? Choose three characters and defend your answer to this question.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)