|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anton do his homework at home in the First Episode?
2. Of the executed Resistance members remembered by the monument, who was the only one born in the previous century?
3. Why does Anton speculate that Peter's name is not on the monument?
4. In which city is Anton living during the Second Episode?
5. Mrs. Beumer tells Anton that which of their old neighbors moved away after the liberation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mr. Steenwijk teach Peter and Anton at home?
2. What are the guests talking about at the birthday party in the Second Episode?
3. After the liberation, how does Anton find out whether his parents are dead or alive?
4. When Anton returns to his old neighborhood for the first time, how have his neighbors changed?
5. What happens to Anton the morning after the shooting?
6. In the First Episode, what happens to Anton's escort on the way to Amsterdam?
7. Why does Peter want to move the body of Fake Ploeg?
8. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was shot?
9. What are the similarities between the author Harry Mulisch and the character Anton?
10. Describe the relationship between Anton and the Van Liempts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Author Harry Mulisch shares several similarities with the character Anton. What are three of these similarities? How may they have affected the way Harry Mulisch wrote "The Assault"?
Essay Topic 2
Anton has no interest in politics, but he is unable to completely ignore it. Choose two political events that happen during "The Assault" and describe their effect on Anton's life.
Essay Topic 3
Whom do you consider to be most at fault for the murder of Anton's family? In your essay include your reasoning and whether or not Anton also considers that person guilty.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)