|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Anton walk while visiting Haarlem in the Second Episode?
2. How does Anton travel to Amsterdam in the First Episode?
3. "The Assault" begins during which war?
4. Who says to Anton, "Pickles are just like crocodiles"?
5. Who throws the keys of the Steenwijk house into the darkness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anton react to the news that his family is dead?
2. Why does Mr. Steenwijk teach Peter and Anton at home?
3. Why does Peter want to move the body of Fake Ploeg?
4. Why is the birthday party in the Second Episode significant?
5. After the liberation, how does Anton find out whether his parents are dead or alive?
6. In the First Episode, what happens to Anton's escort on the way to Amsterdam?
7. In the First Episode, why does Anton not jump out of the truck when the convoy is attacked?
8. Upon arriving in Amsterdam, what happens to Anton in the First Episode?
9. What are the guests talking about at the birthday party in the Second Episode?
10. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was shot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of the book, Anton's family consists of his parents and Peter. At the end, he has created a new family for himself. Discuss Anton's relationship with his family members, including both of his wives and his children.
Essay Topic 2
Cite three instances of the way Anton's copes with his tragedy. Does it work for him?
Essay Topic 3
Had the body of Fake Ploeg not been moved in front of Anton's house, his parents would not have been killed. Describe what probably would have happened in the following situations.
1) The body is left in front of the Kortewegs.
2) The body is moved in front of the Aartses.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)