|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who refuses to speak to Van Liempt when he inquires after the fate of Anton's family?
(a) Fake Ploeg.
(b) Mr. Beumer.
(c) Mrs. Beumer.
(d) Mr. Korteweg.
2. The woman in the cell with Anton is in love with whom?
(a) A British soldier.
(b) A married man with two children.
(c) A Nazi soldier.
(d) A divorced man.
3. Who invites Anton inside for coffee in the Second Episode?
(a) Karin Korteweg.
(b) Mrs. Aarts.
(c) Mrs. Beumer.
(d) His old schoolteacher.
4. What is the name of the man shot in front of Anton's house?
(a) Mr. Korteweg.
(b) Mr. Steenwijk.
5. Why does Peter never leave the Steenwijk house?
(a) So he will not be conscripted in the army.
(b) So he will not be sent to a labor camp.
(c) Because he is a fugitive.
(d) Because he has a disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Anton's escort to Amsterdam in the First Episode?
2. How do Anton's aunt and uncle treat him?
3. After spending the night in a jail cell, where is Anton sent?
4. In which city is Anton living during the Second Episode?
5. In what year does Anton return to Haarlem for the first time since he was 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Anton and the Van Liempts.
2. Describe the neighborhood in which Anton grows up.
3. When returning to his neighborhood for the first time since the assault, how does Anton respond to Mrs. Beumer's invitation to come inside?
4. When did Anton treat a Nazi youth with kindness?
5. Why does Peter want to move the body of Fake Ploeg?
6. When he returns to his old neighborhood, what information does Mrs. Beumer give Anton that he had not known before?
7. What are the similarities between the author Harry Mulisch and the character Anton?
8. In the Second Episode, why does Anton leave the birthday party early?
9. When Anton returns to his old neighborhood for the first time, how have his neighbors changed?
10. Why is the birthday party in the Second Episode significant?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)