|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anton's childhood home next to?
(a) A canal.
(b) An ocean.
(c) A tulip field.
(d) A church.
2. After visiting the memorial in the Second Episode, where does Anton go?
(a) He returns to a party.
(b) He returns to Amsterdam.
(c) He goes to the Beumer's.
(d) He goes to a funeral.
3. What is the name of Anton's childhood house?
4. What do the soldiers do to Anton's childhood house?
(a) Sell it.
(b) Bomb it.
(c) Vandalize it.
(d) Burn it.
5. What does Van Liempt discover about the fate of Anton's parents?
(a) They died in prison.
(b) They were sent to Germany.
(c) They were shot.
(d) They were sent to a death camp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was killed?
2. What is the Steenwijk family doing when they hear shots?
3. What is written on the memorial that was built on the site of the executions?
4. Who had Anton befriended at school?
5. What did Mr. Beumer used to read to Anton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Anton's parents different from the others listed on the memorial?
2. When returning to his neighborhood for the first time since the assault, how does Anton respond to Mrs. Beumer's invitation to come inside?
3. When did Anton treat a Nazi youth with kindness?
4. In the Second Episode, why does Anton leave the birthday party early?
5. How does Anton react to the news that his family is dead?
6. How does Anton spend the night after the shooting?
7. Describe the relationship between Anton and the Van Liempts.
8. Why does Anton not know about the memorial to the Resistance hostages until Mrs. Beumer tells him?
9. What are the similarities between the author Harry Mulisch and the character Anton?
10. Describe Anton's childhood neighbors.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)