|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Anton attacked on the way to Amsterdam in the First Episode?
(a) By fire.
(b) By plane.
(c) By machine guns.
(d) By ambush.
2. With whom is Anton living during the Second Episode?
(a) With his wife and daughter.
(b) With his brother Peter.
(c) With his parents.
(d) With his aunt and uncle.
3. Who invites Anton inside for coffee in the Second Episode?
(a) His old schoolteacher.
(b) Karin Korteweg.
(c) Mrs. Beumer.
(d) Mrs. Aarts.
4. "The Assault" begins during which war?
(a) World War I.
(b) Prussian War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Hundred Years War.
5. After visiting the memorial in the Second Episode, where does Anton go?
(a) He goes to a funeral.
(b) He returns to Amsterdam.
(c) He goes to the Beumer's.
(d) He returns to a party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anton speculate that Peter's name is not on the monument?
2. What do the soldiers demand of Anton's family after the shooting?
3. What is the name of Anton's neighbor who lives with his daughter?
4. What is the Steenwijk family doing when they hear shots?
5. When does Van Liempt inquire about the fate of Anton's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between the author Harry Mulisch and the character Anton?
2. In the First Episode, what happens to Anton's escort on the way to Amsterdam?
3. When Anton returns to his old neighborhood for the first time, how have his neighbors changed?
4. Describe Anton's childhood neighbors.
5. Describe the relationship between Anton and the Van Liempts.
6. Why does Anton not know about the memorial to the Resistance hostages until Mrs. Beumer tells him?
7. In the First Episode, why does Anton not jump out of the truck when the convoy is attacked?
8. What do the German soldiers do to Anton's home Carefree?
9. Why is the birthday party in the Second Episode significant?
10. How does Anton spend the night after the shooting?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)