|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While in a jail cell, a woman tells Anton a story about what?
(a) Her first day at school.
(b) Being arrested for murder.
(c) The Dutch resistance.
(d) Being lost in front of her own house.
2. Who tells Van Liempt what happened to Anton's parents?
(a) The Kortewegs.
(b) The Beumers.
(c) The Aartses.
(d) The burgomaster.
3. After spending the night in a prison cell, what is on Anton's face?
4. How does Anton know that the assault was never brought to trial?
(a) If it had, his parents would not have died.
(b) If it had, he would have found records in his search.
(c) If it had, members of the Resistance would have been punished.
(d) If it had, he would have been questioned.
5. Who takes Anton home at the end of the First Episode?
(a) His father.
(c) His grandparents.
(d) His uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter never leave the Steenwijk house?
2. With whom does Anton spend a night in a jail cell?
3. In the First Episode, who dresses Anton in a helmet and jacket?
4. How does Anton react to the events of the night of the assault?
5. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Peter lost his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the First Episode, why does Anton not jump out of the truck when the convoy is attacked?
2. What are the guests talking about at the birthday party in the Second Episode?
3. What are the similarities between the author Harry Mulisch and the character Anton?
4. When Anton returns to his old neighborhood for the first time, how have his neighbors changed?
5. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was shot?
6. How does Anton spend the night after the shooting?
7. In the Second Episode, why does Anton leave the birthday party early?
8. Why is the birthday party in the Second Episode significant?
9. Upon arriving in Amsterdam, what happens to Anton in the First Episode?
10. What do the German soldiers do to Anton's home Carefree?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)