|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point in the conversation with Cor Takes does Anton become emotional?
(a) When Cor Takes tells him that Fake Ploeg was a murderer.
(b) When Cor Takes speaks about his girlfriend.
(c) When Cor Takes starts crying.
(d) When Cor Takes becomes angry.
2. Why does Anton's uncle not attend his wedding?
(a) He has become estranged from Anton.
(b) He died in the war.
(c) He does not approve of Anton's wife.
(d) He died in an auto accident.
3. Why did Fake Ploeg never finish high school?
(a) He had no interest in academics.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He failed his classes.
(d) He had to support his mother and sisters.
4. In which year does the Third Episode take place?
5. After Anton asks Fake Ploeg if his father's name should be on the monument, what does Fake do?
(a) Calls the police.
(b) Throws a rock at Anton.
(c) Runs away.
6. How are Fake Ploeg and Anton similar?
(a) Both were Nazi youth.
(b) Both graduated from high school.
(c) Both are attending medical school.
(d) Both of their fathers were shot.
7. While Anton is talking to Cor Takes in his basement, why does Cor Takes leave the room?
(a) To answer the telephone.
(b) To call his wife.
(c) To look for Truus Coster.
(d) To call the police.
8. What is the name of Anton's first daughter?
9. How are Fake Ploeg and Anton different, according to Anton?
(a) Anton's parents were innocent, but Fake Ploeg's father was not.
(b) Anton's parents were guilty, but Fake Ploeg's father was not.
(c) Anton is a Communist, but Fake Ploeg is not.
(d) Anton is Dutch, but Fake Ploeg is German.
10. Which of the following events happens in the Fourth Episode?
(a) Anton meets Fake Ploeg.
(b) Anton meets his first wife.
(c) Anton meets his second wife.
(d) Anton goes to a birthday party in Haarlam.
11. When Anton meets Fake Ploeg as an adult, what does Fake look like?
(a) A soldier.
(b) The image of his father.
(c) The image of his mother.
(d) A politician.
12. What is Fake Ploeg holding when Anton meets him in the Third Episode?
(a) A gun.
(b) A Molotov cocktail.
(c) A sign.
(d) A rock.
13. Where does Anton take his wife and daughter after the funeral?
(a) To the beach.
(b) To the memorial in Haarlem.
(c) To his childhood home.
(d) To England.
14. Which relative of Cor Takes had been one of the twenty-nine Resistance hostages?
(a) His mother.
(b) His uncle.
(c) His youngest brother.
(d) His oldest sister.
15. Where does Fake Ploeg live in the Third Episode?
(c) Den Helder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fake Ploeg consider responsible for the death of Anton's parents?
2. How does Fake Ploeg threaten Anton in the Third Episode?
3. What does the reader know that Anton cannot remember while he is talking to Cor Takes?
4. Which instrument does Anton play?
5. How does Anton respond to Fake Ploeg's anger at the end of the Third Episode?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)