|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Peter lost his life?
(a) Because he attacked a soldier.
(b) Because he was trying to help Ploeg.
(c) Because he shot Ploeg.
(d) Because he ran away.
2. Why does Anton do his homework at home in the First Episode?
(a) He does not want to be caught.
(b) The school is not open because of the coal shortage.
(c) The school is not open because the teachers are all at war.
(d) His father does not like what is taught at the school.
3. Mrs. Beumer tells Anton that which of their old neighbors moved away after the liberation?
(a) Mr. Aarts.
(b) Mr. Ploeg.
(c) Mr. Steenwijk.
(d) Mr. Korteweg.
4. With whom does Anton spend a night in a jail cell?
(a) A woman he knew as a small child.
(b) A woman who cannot speak.
(c) A woman he cannot see.
(d) A woman who is drunk.
5. When Anton visits Gerrit Jan's house in the Second Episode, what war are they discussing?
(a) The Spanish-American War.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War I.
6. Mrs. Beumer tells Anton that who was killed on the night of the assault?
(a) Fifteen Resistance hostages.
(b) His parents and twenty-nine Resistance hostages.
(c) Fake Ploeg's son.
(d) His parents and several war criminals.
7. What do the soldiers demand of Anton's family after the shooting?
(a) The wallet of the man who was shot.
(b) The keys to their house.
(c) The gun of the man who was shot.
(d) Their identification papers.
8. Why does Peter want to move the body of the man who was shot?
(a) He wants to give the man medical attention.
(b) He is afraid the police will suspect them.
(c) He wants to steal money from the man.
(d) He is afraid that the police will suspect their neighbors.
9. What is left of Anton's old house in the Second Episode?
(a) A fence and weeds.
(b) The front porch.
(c) Most of their furniture.
(d) Some window panes.
10. While in a jail cell, a woman tells Anton a story about what?
(a) Being arrested for murder.
(b) Her first day at school.
(c) Being lost in front of her own house.
(d) The Dutch resistance.
11. What did Mr. Korteweg used to keep upstairs?
(d) His stamp collection.
12. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Anton's mother was killed?
(a) Because she was Jewish.
(b) Because she was Peter's mother.
(c) Because she attacked a soldier.
(d) Because she refused to leave the house.
13. Where does Anton walk while visiting Haarlem in the Second Episode?
(a) To the police station.
(b) To the cemetery.
(c) To the nursery school.
(d) To his old neighborhood.
14. In the First Episode, who dresses Anton in a helmet and jacket?
15. After visiting the memorial in the Second Episode, where does Anton go?
(a) He goes to a funeral.
(b) He returns to a party.
(c) He goes to the Beumer's.
(d) He returns to Amsterdam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Immediately after visiting the Beumers in the Second Episode, where does Anton go?
2. What is the name of the man shot in front of Anton's house?
3. What is the Steenwijk family doing when they hear shots?
4. What is the name of Anton's escort to Amsterdam in the First Episode?
5. What is written on the memorial that was built on the site of the executions?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)