|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mrs. Beumer tells Anton that who was killed on the night of the assault?
(a) Fifteen Resistance hostages.
(b) Fake Ploeg's son.
(c) His parents and twenty-nine Resistance hostages.
(d) His parents and several war criminals.
2. "The Assault" begins during which war?
(a) World War II.
(b) Hundred Years War.
(c) Prussian War.
(d) World War I.
3. Why does Anton return to Haarlem for the first time after the assault?
(a) To visit the Beumer's.
(b) To attend a funeral.
(c) To attend a birthday party.
(d) To visit a monument.
4. Why does Mrs. Beumer believe that Peter lost his life?
(a) Because he was trying to help Ploeg.
(b) Because he attacked a soldier.
(c) Because he shot Ploeg.
(d) Because he ran away.
5. After hearing shots, what does Anton see through the window?
(a) A car and a man.
(b) A dog and two men.
(c) Three men.
(d) A bicycle and a man.
6. When Anton returns to Haarlam for the first time, whose house does he first go to?
(a) A distant relative's.
(b) The Buemer's.
(c) A fellow classmate's.
(d) The Kortewegs.
7. By the Second Episode, what has happened to Mr. Beumer?
(a) He has moved to a nursing home.
(b) He has become senile.
(c) He has died.
(d) He has become crippled.
8. What did Mr. Beumer used to read to Anton?
(a) The Count of Monte Cristo.
(b) Robinson Crusoe.
(c) Sherlock Holmes.
(d) The Three Musketeers.
9. Who takes Anton home at the end of the First Episode?
(b) His uncle.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandparents.
10. Why does Peter never leave the Steenwijk house?
(a) So he will not be conscripted in the army.
(b) So he will not be sent to a labor camp.
(c) Because he is a fugitive.
(d) Because he has a disease.
11. In which city does "The Assault" begin?
12. In which city is Anton living during the Second Episode?
13. Mrs. Beumer tells Anton that which of their old neighbors moved away after the liberation?
(a) Mr. Steenwijk.
(b) Mr. Ploeg.
(c) Mr. Korteweg.
(d) Mr. Aarts.
14. After finishing the gymnasium, where does Anton go to school?
(a) Pilot school.
(b) Medical school.
(c) Berlin University.
(d) Law school.
15. What is written on the memorial that was built on the site of the executions?
(a) They fell for queen and fatherland.
(b) May they live on in our memory.
(c) Rest in peace.
(d) We shall never forget.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in a jail cell, a woman tells Anton a story about what?
2. After spending the night in a prison cell, what is on Anton's face?
3. Why does Anton's family spend all their time in the dining room?
4. What is Anton's childhood home next to?
5. Where does Anton walk while visiting Haarlem in the Second Episode?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)