Prologue and First Episode, 1945
• The author Harry Mulisch's mother was Jewish and his father was a Nazi collaborator.
• The Steenwijks live in one of four houses on a quay in Haarlam.
• It is January 1945 and the war is almost over.
• The Chief Inspector of Police is shot in front of the Steenwijk's house.
• Anton's family is arrested.
• Anton is kept in a prison cell overnight with a woman.
• The following day Anton is sent to Amsterdam with a military convoy.
• The man escorting Anton is shot by a plane attack.
• Anton is released to his uncle in Amsterdam.
Second Episode, 1952
• Anton lives with his uncle and aunt in Amsterdam.
• Anton finds out that his parents and Peter were shot the night of the assault.
• Anton goes to medical school.
• Anton returns to Haarlam for the first time to attend a birthday party.
• Anton visits his old neighborhood.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)