|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zerelda respond when she sees her son's body?
2. What is the name of the attorney who offers to help Bob and Charley?
3. Where do Jesse and Charley spend the night after leaving Martha Bolton's house together?
4. Who is the sheriff of Clay County?
5. What does Bob tell Jesse he's most afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of hypothetical question does Dick pose to Sheriff Timberlake when he and Bob run into him?
2. Why does Dick hid from Jesse when he stops by Martha Bolton's for a visit?
3. How does Charley respond to Bob's confession that he plans to kill Jesse?
4. What kind of contest does Jesse create with the man at the pool hall?
5. What makes the sheriff finally believe that Jesse James has really been shot?
6. What do Jesse and Charley do with the toys and Santa suit they steal from the church?
7. What does Elias tell Timberlake when he sees Jesse at a relative's store?
8. What does Zerelda Samuels yell when she sees her son's murdered body?
9. What does Jesse confess to Charley one night when he wakes him up?
10. What happens when Bob and Charley try to turn themselves in at the sheriff's office after Bob kills Jesse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the first chapter of "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" 1) sets the tone for the rest of the novel and 2) introduces at least 1 key fact about Jesse James, Bob Ford, and (Alexander) Frank James that are important throughout the rest of the text. Make sure to use direct quotations and evidence from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Present a well-reasoned paper arguing whether the reader is supposed to find Bob Ford a likable (dedicated, determined, trying to do the "right" thing) character OR an unlikable (manipulative, fame-hungry, back-stabbing, weak) character. Make sure to use specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Identify what you think is the tone for "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" and discuss 3 literary devices that Hansen uses to create this tone.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)