|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Martha Bolton?
2. Who dies as a result of the attack on Jesse's mother's house?
3. What is Charley's full name?
4. What is Martha's marital status in the novel?
5. Which Younger brother is shot during a run-in with detectives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bob tell Wood as he lay dying?
2. How is John Whicher killed?
3. What happens to the children that Annie and Zee give birth to around the same time?
4. How does the Kansas City Times describe the series of robberies that Jesse is involved with in Missouri?
5. How is Wood described when he is first introduced into the novel?
6. How does Jesse respond to the news that his sister is set to marry Allen Parmer?
7. What is Ed Miller nervous about when Jesse comes to visit him at his home?
8. Why do other gang members tease Bob when they are all sent away -- except for him -- at the beginning of Chapter 3?
9. What does Dick tell Sarah to do when they find John's body in the pig sty?
10. How do the people of the train that the gang robs on Independence Hill respond when Frank tells them they don't rob preachers or widows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast 2 characters of your choosing from the "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," making sure to use direct evidence and examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least 3 ways that the violence and/or robbery scenes in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" are gratuitously violent and why such violence takes away from the plot and/or rest of the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss at least 3 reasons why "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" could be classified in a genre other than historical fiction, making sure to use specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)