• The novel opens with much detail about Jesse James, including the fact that he was born in September 1847 and that he often reads about current events in the papers. He also has a son officially named Jesse Edwards James but whom everyone calls "Tim" to disguise his real name.
• Jesse and his brother, Frank, leave Jesse's home to meet up with their cousins, Wood and Clarence, and the rest of the James Gang: Dick Liddil, Jim Cummins, Ed Miller, and Charley Ford. Ford bring his younger brother, Bob.
• Bob is eager to join the gang and spends some time with Jesse, who comes to like him.
• The men rob a train at the top of Independence Hill. Charley hits a man who doesn't comply with Jesse's orders, and the gang robs everyone on board but otherwise leaves them alone.
• Bob and Jesse continue to talk as the...
This section contains 1,889 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)