|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. M.F.K. Fisher's writing revolves around what subject?
2. Who wrote "This Tool Is Life?"
3. How does Lu Hsun's work create trouble for him?
4. Which famous author is mentioned in the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
5. When was Junichiro Tanizaki born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
2. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
3. How does Seymour Krim's life compare to Mary McCarthy's? How did Krim's childhood impact his writing?
4. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
5. What is Junichiro Tanizaki's contribution to world literature? How has Tanizaki's writing style been characterized?
6. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
7. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
8. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
9. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
10. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Montaigne provides a number of views and personal opinions in the essays selected for the book.
A) What is Montaigne's view of human nature in general? Cite quotations from "Of Books" to support your assertion.
B) What is Montaigne's view of education? Cite quotations from "Of Books" and "On Some Verses of Virgil" to support your assertion.
C) What is Montaigne's view of abnormality, according to "Of a Monstrous Child"?
Essay Topic 2
Physical conditions are the subject of Seneca's "Asthma" and Jose Luis Borge's "Blindness."
A) How does each man confront his condition? What is each man's attitude?
B) Seneca's philosophy is said to be Stoic. How does Borge's philosophy, as revealed in "Blindness," compare to the Stoic philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
Robert Louis Stevenson's "On Marriage" and Maria Edgeworth's "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification" both center on the marital relationship.
A) Compare the tone employed by each writer.
B) What is each author's philosophy of marriage? Is marriage something to be celebrated, mocked, or feared?
C) How might your determination from A) help inform you as to the position each person takes on marriage? How does tone relate to content in each author's case?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)