|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Crack-Up"?
(a) Edward Hoagland.
(b) E. B. White.
(c) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
2. Who wrote "The Death of the Moth?"
(a) Maria Edgeworth.
(b) Max Beerbohm.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
3. Who wrote "This Tool Is Life?"
(a) Junichiro Tanizaki.
(b) Lu Hsun.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Natalia Ginzburg.
4. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
(a) 1705 A.D.
(b) 1962 A.D.
(c) 1892 A.D.
(d) 1472 A.D.
5. What nickname is given to Max Beerbohm?
(a) The Late Great Captain Max.
(b) Maximum Writer.
(c) The Incomparable Max.
(d) Max Beerfest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before attempting personal essays, what kind of writer was Seymour Krim?
2. About how many essay collections and books did G. K. Chesterton write in his lifetime?
3. Which famous author is mentioned in the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
4. What other artistic skill did James Thurber have, in addition to writing?
5. Who wrote "Going Out for a Walk?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Junichiro Tanizaki's contribution to world literature? How has Tanizaki's writing style been characterized?
2. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
3. What tone does Mary McCarthy use in "My Confession?" How does she approach herself as well as the subjects of her essays?
4. What is Orwell's "Such, Such Were the Joys..." about? What complaints does Orwell have about the subject?
5. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
6. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
7. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
8. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
9. Describe Walter Benjamin's unfortunate end. How does his essay "Unpacking My Library" relate to this tragic end?
10. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)