|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author's opinion of public executions in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) Public executions are necessary for law and order.
(b) Public executions are thrilling.
(c) Public executions should be ended.
(d) Public executions are tools of the class system.
2. What inspired Ivan Turgenev's view of servants?
(a) Turgenev's father trafficked in slaves.
(b) He was raised by a servant.
(c) His father was killed by a servant.
(d) He was raised watching his mother abuse all of those around her.
3. At which newspaper did H.L. Mencken work?
(a) The New York Post-Gazette.
(b) The Baltimore Sun.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The New York Times.
4. Who wrote "Once a Tramp, Always..."?
(a) James Thurber.
(b) M. F. K. Fisher.
(c) Seymour Krim.
(d) Sei Shonagon.
5. Who wrote "Once More to the Lake"?
(a) Maria Edgeworth.
(b) Charles Lamb.
(c) E. B. White.
(d) Sara Suleri.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Execution of Tropmann?"
2. What do Seymour Krim and Mary McCarthy have in common?
3. What subject chiefly interests George Orwell?
4. Who wrote "An Apology for Idlers?"
5. What is unusual about the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
2. What is the subject of Krim's "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business"? What feelings does Krim express in the essay?
3. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
4. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
5. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
6. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
7. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
8. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
9. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
10. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)