|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) Hubert Butler.
(b) Ivan Turgenev.
(c) William Hazlitt.
(d) Carlos Fuentes.
2. What illness did Virginia Woolf have to deal with at several times in her life?
(a) Paranoid Schizophrenia.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
3. Who wrote "Walking"?
(a) Phillip Lopate.
(c) Seymour Krim.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
4. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
(a) 1472 A.D.
(b) 1705 A.D.
(c) 1892 A.D.
(d) 1962 A.D.
5. What is the author's opinion of public executions in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) Public executions are thrilling.
(b) Public executions are necessary for law and order.
(c) Public executions are tools of the class system.
(d) Public executions should be ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did George Orwell renounce, along with his former life?
2. Which person in Virginia Woolf's life died when Woolf was very young?
3. Who wrote "He and I"?
4. When was Junichiro Tanizaki born?
5. Who wrote "On Being an American?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
2. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
3. What tone does Mary McCarthy use in "My Confession?" How does she approach herself as well as the subjects of her essays?
4. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
5. What is the subject of Krim's "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business"? What feelings does Krim express in the essay?
6. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
7. M.F.K. Fisher is known for writing primarily about what subject? Beyond this subject, what biographical details has she confronted in her writing?
8. What is Junichiro Tanizaki's contribution to world literature? How has Tanizaki's writing style been characterized?
9. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
10. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)