|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the subjects written about by George Orwell?
(a) The American Revolution.
(b) The Spanish Civil War.
(c) The threat of fascism.
(d) The Great Depression.
2. Who wrote "Leaving the Movie Theater?"
(a) Roland Barthes.
(b) Sara Suleri.
(c) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(d) Jose Luis Borges.
3. What is the author's opinion of public executions in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) Public executions should be ended.
(b) Public executions are necessary for law and order.
(c) Public executions are thrilling.
(d) Public executions are tools of the class system.
4. Who wrote "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
(a) Gayle Pemberton.
(b) Seymour Krim.
(c) Joseph Addison.
(d) G. K. Chesterton.
5. What did Mencken call his collection of writings?
(b) "Sweet Treats."
(c) "Brain Scribblings."
(d) "The Ruin of an Otherwise Perfect Day."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "This Tool Is Life?"
2. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
3. M.F.K. Fisher's writing revolves around what subject?
4. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
5. Robert Louis Stevenson is today best known for what type of writings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
2. What tone does Mary McCarthy use in "My Confession?" How does she approach herself as well as the subjects of her essays?
3. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
4. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
5. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
6. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
7. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
8. M.F.K. Fisher is known for writing primarily about what subject? Beyond this subject, what biographical details has she confronted in her writing?
9. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
10. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)