|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Crack-Up"?
(a) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(b) Edward Hoagland.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) E. B. White.
2. Under what circumstances did Walter Benjamin die?
(a) He died of old age.
(b) He fell off a building.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He was shot by a soldier.
3. Who wrote "Once a Tramp, Always..."?
(a) Sei Shonagon.
(b) M. F. K. Fisher.
(c) James Thurber.
(d) Seymour Krim.
4. What is Jose Luis Borges' attitude in "Blindness?"
5. Who wrote "He and I"?
(a) Richard Steele.
(b) Natalia Ginzburg.
(d) Samuel Johnson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Walter Benjamin?
2. What is the "failure" spoken about in "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
3. Who is Hsun addressing in his essay "Death?"
4. When was Lu Hsun born?
5. What is the author's opinion of public executions in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
2. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
3. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
4. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
5. What is Orwell's "Such, Such Were the Joys..." about? What complaints does Orwell have about the subject?
6. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
7. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
8. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
9. How did Virginia Woolf's personal background impact her work?
10. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)