|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the execution take place in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) 1870 A.D.
(b) 345 A.D.
(c) 1547 A.D.
(d) 1952 A.D.
2. When was Virginia Woolf born?
(a) 1616 A. D.
(b) 1475 A. D.
(c) 1882 A. D.
(d) 1772 A. D.
3. George Orwell is not the real name of the author, and yet it is used in place of the author's real name for published works. What is "George Orwell" an example of?
(a) A pen name.
(b) A fabled name.
(c) A trick name.
(d) A penciled-in name.
4. How did Virginia Woolf die?
(a) She was shot by a jealous lover.
(b) She was run over by an automobile.
(c) Of old age.
(d) She drowned herself.
5. When was Jose Luis Borges born?
(a) 1802 A.D.
(b) 1414 A.D.
(c) 1899 A.D.
(d) 1745 A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a frequent subject of Lu Hsun's work?
2. Who wrote "Going Out for a Walk?"
3. What is the author's opinion of public executions in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
4. When was Lu Hsun born?
5. What nickname is given to Max Beerbohm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
2. Describe Walter Benjamin's unfortunate end. How does his essay "Unpacking My Library" relate to this tragic end?
3. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
4. What are the particulars of Ivan Turgenev's "The Execution of Tropmann"?
5. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
6. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
7. How did Virginia Woolf's personal background impact her work?
8. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
9. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
10. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)