|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What inspired Ivan Turgenev's view of servants?
(a) He was raised watching his mother abuse all of those around her.
(b) He was raised by a servant.
(c) His father was killed by a servant.
(d) Turgenev's father trafficked in slaves.
2. About how many essay collections and books did G. K. Chesterton write in his lifetime?
3. When was Lu Hsun born?
(a) 1775 A.D.
(b) 340 B.C.
(c) 1881 A.D.
(d) 1312 A.D.
4. Who wrote "Walking"?
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Phillip Lopate.
(d) Seymour Krim.
5. Who wrote "Leaving the Movie Theater?"
(a) Roland Barthes.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) Sara Suleri.
(d) Jose Luis Borges.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jose Luis Borges born?
2. Who wrote "He and I"?
3. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
4. What does the author think of the lake he revisits in "Once More to the Lake?"
5. Who wrote "The Lantern-Bearers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
2. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
3. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
4. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
5. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
6. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
7. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
8. How did Virginia Woolf's personal background impact her work?
9. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
10. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)