|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Junichiro Tanizaki born?
(a) 30 B.C.
(b) 1052 A.D.
(c) 1886 A.D.
(d) 342 A.D.
2. Who wrote "An Apology for Idlers?"
(b) Maria Edgeworth.
(c) George Orwell.
(d) Robert Louis Stevenson.
3. What is the "failure" spoken about in "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
(a) The failure to make a living financially.
(b) The failure of not appreciating nature.
(c) The failure involved in hurting the ones we love.
(d) The failure to write an important novel.
4. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
(b) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
(c) James Thurber: Confidential.
(d) Autobiography of a Biographist.
5. What does Tanizaki talk about in "In Praise of Shadows?"
(a) The horror of blindness.
(b) The intensity of beauty.
(c) The dying of the old ways.
(d) The birth of his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a typical Virginia Woolf focus in her essays?
2. Who wrote "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
3. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
4. Who wrote "Beside the Nore?"
5. Who wrote "The Lantern-Bearers"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
2. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
3. What are the particulars of Ivan Turgenev's "The Execution of Tropmann"?
4. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
5. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
6. What is Junichiro Tanizaki's contribution to world literature? How has Tanizaki's writing style been characterized?
7. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
8. How did Virginia Woolf's personal background impact her work?
9. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
10. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)