|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "An Apology for Idlers?"
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) George Orwell.
(d) Maria Edgeworth.
2. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) James Thurber: Confidential.
(b) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
(c) Autobiography of a Biographist.
(d) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
3. What is the author's opinion of public executions in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) Public executions should be ended.
(b) Public executions are tools of the class system.
(c) Public executions are thrilling.
(d) Public executions are necessary for law and order.
4. At which newspaper did H.L. Mencken work?
(a) The New York Post-Gazette.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The Baltimore Sun.
5. Who wrote "Going Out for a Walk?"
(a) Max Beerbohm.
(b) G. K. Chesterton.
(d) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before attempting personal essays, what kind of writer was Seymour Krim?
2. How did Virginia Woolf die?
3. Which famous author is mentioned in the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
4. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
5. What illness did Virginia Woolf have to deal with at several times in her life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
2. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
3. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
4. What are the particulars of Ivan Turgenev's "The Execution of Tropmann"?
5. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
6. What is Orwell's "Such, Such Were the Joys..." about? What complaints does Orwell have about the subject?
7. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
8. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
9. Describe Walter Benjamin's unfortunate end. How does his essay "Unpacking My Library" relate to this tragic end?
10. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)