|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "How to Start to Write?"
(a) Walter Benjamin.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Carlos Fuentes.
(d) Ivan Turgenev.
2. Which person in Virginia Woolf's life died when Woolf was very young?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her priest.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
3. Which of the following is NOT a well-known story written by Robert Louis Stevenson?
(b) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
(c) The Tell-Tale Heart.
(d) Treasure Island.
4. What tragedy did Seymour Krim endure as a child?
(a) His sister died of cancer.
(b) His father was an alcoholic.
(c) He lost both his parents.
(d) He was molested by a family friend.
5. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
(a) The death of her son.
(b) The death of her daughter.
(c) The death of her nephew.
(d) The death of her second husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What might best describe the attitude of the author in "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
2. Who wrote "The Lantern-Bearers"?
3. What do Seymour Krim and Mary McCarthy have in common?
4. What inspired Ivan Turgenev's view of servants?
5. Who wrote "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
2. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
3. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
4. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
5. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
6. What is the subject of Krim's "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business"? What feelings does Krim express in the essay?
7. How did Virginia Woolf's personal background impact her work?
8. Describe Walter Benjamin's unfortunate end. How does his essay "Unpacking My Library" relate to this tragic end?
9. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
10. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)