|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tragedy did Seymour Krim endure as a child?
(a) He was molested by a family friend.
(b) He lost both his parents.
(c) His sister died of cancer.
(d) His father was an alcoholic.
2. Who wrote "Beside the Nore?"
(a) Hubert Butler.
(b) Sei Shonagon.
(d) E.M. Cioran.
3. Who is Hsun addressing in his essay "Death?"
(b) Death himself.
(c) His family.
(d) The emperor of China.
4. What other artistic skill did James Thurber have, in addition to writing?
(a) He was a voice over actor.
(b) He was a landscape painter.
(c) He was a sculptor.
(d) He was a cartoonist.
5. What might best describe the attitude of the author in "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
(a) Depressed and suicidal.
(b) Thoughtful and optimistic.
(c) Joyous and spontaneous.
(d) Angry and pessimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before attempting personal essays, what kind of writer was Seymour Krim?
2. Who wrote "Street Haunting?"
3. Who wrote "The Death of the Moth?"
4. What nationality is Walter Benjamin?
5. About how many essay collections and books did G. K. Chesterton write in his lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Seymour Krim's life compare to Mary McCarthy's? How did Krim's childhood impact his writing?
2. What are the particulars of Ivan Turgenev's "The Execution of Tropmann"?
3. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
4. M.F.K. Fisher is known for writing primarily about what subject? Beyond this subject, what biographical details has she confronted in her writing?
5. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
6. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
7. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
8. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
9. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
10. What tone does Mary McCarthy use in "My Confession?" How does she approach herself as well as the subjects of her essays?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)