|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Jose Luis Borges born?
(a) 1414 A.D.
(b) 1745 A.D.
(c) 1899 A.D.
(d) 1802 A.D.
2. Who wrote "The Crack-Up"?
(a) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(b) E. B. White.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Edward Hoagland.
3. Who is Hsun addressing in his essay "Death?"
(a) Death himself.
(b) The emperor of China.
(d) His family.
4. Robert Louis Stevenson is today best known for what type of writings?
(b) Diary entries.
5. Who wrote "Once a Tramp, Always..."?
(a) Sei Shonagon.
(b) James Thurber.
(c) Seymour Krim.
(d) M. F. K. Fisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Walter Benjamin keep a library?
2. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
3. Which person in Virginia Woolf's life died when Woolf was very young?
4. What is a typical Virginia Woolf focus in her essays?
5. What term best describes the type of literature written by Virginia Woolf?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
2. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
3. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
4. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
5. What are the particulars of Ivan Turgenev's "The Execution of Tropmann"?
6. What tone does Mary McCarthy use in "My Confession?" How does she approach herself as well as the subjects of her essays?
7. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
8. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
9. Describe Walter Benjamin's unfortunate end. How does his essay "Unpacking My Library" relate to this tragic end?
10. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)