|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) Autobiography of a Biographist.
(b) James Thurber: Confidential.
(c) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
(d) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
2. What was George Orwell's real name?
(a) Edward Byfuglien.
(b) Tom Hanson.
(c) Eric Blair.
(d) Michael Montgomery.
3. When was Virginia Woolf born?
(a) 1882 A. D.
(b) 1772 A. D.
(c) 1475 A. D.
(d) 1616 A. D.
4. What is a frequent subject of Lu Hsun's work?
(a) The class system.
(b) Ships and sailing.
(c) Poverty and the struggle that results from it.
(d) The beauty of the natural world.
5. Which of Lu Hsun's family members died when he was young?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jose Luis Borges born?
2. What event starts the essay, "On Running After One's Hat?"
3. Who wrote "Walking"?
4. What did Mencken call his collection of writings?
5. How does Lu Hsun's work create trouble for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
2. Describe the important events in Lu Hsun's life that impacted his personal essays.
3. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
4. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
5. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
6. What is Jose Luis Borges' perspective on his own increasing blindness, as revealed in his essay "Blindness?"
7. What is the subject of Krim's "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business"? What feelings does Krim express in the essay?
8. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
9. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
10. What is Orwell's "Such, Such Were the Joys..." about? What complaints does Orwell have about the subject?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)