|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. James Thurber is said to have inspired what, in American essay prose?
(a) Discussion of race issues.
(c) Pregnant pauses.
2. Who wrote "How to Start to Write?"
(a) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(b) Walter Benjamin.
(c) Carlos Fuentes.
(d) Ivan Turgenev.
3. Who wrote "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
(a) Gayle Pemberton.
(b) Joseph Addison.
(c) G. K. Chesterton.
(d) Seymour Krim.
4. What term best describes the type of literature written by Virginia Woolf?
(b) Modern fiction.
(d) Epic poetry.
5. Who wrote "Beside the Nore?"
(a) E.M. Cioran.
(b) Sei Shonagon.
(c) Hubert Butler.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "On Being an American?"
2. Which person in Virginia Woolf's life died when Woolf was very young?
3. George Orwell is not the real name of the author, and yet it is used in place of the author's real name for published works. What is "George Orwell" an example of?
4. Who wrote "Leaving the Movie Theater?"
5. What is the "failure" spoken about in "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
2. M.F.K. Fisher is known for writing primarily about what subject? Beyond this subject, what biographical details has she confronted in her writing?
3. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
4. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
5. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
6. What is the subject of Junichiro Tanizaki's "In Praise of Shadows?" What hope does Tanizaki express at the end of the essay?
7. How did Virginia Woolf's personal background impact her work?
8. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
9. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
10. What is Junichiro Tanizaki's contribution to world literature? How has Tanizaki's writing style been characterized?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)