|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
(a) An account of time spent in preparatory school.
(b) A humorous "adventure" of chasing a lost piece of chalk.
(c) A town flood.
(d) Joy taken in the littlest and simplest things.
2. Who wrote "Going Out for a Walk?"
(a) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(b) Max Beerbohm.
(c) G. K. Chesterton.
3. Who wrote "The Crack-Up"?
(a) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(b) Edward Hoagland.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) E. B. White.
4. What might best describe the attitude of the author in "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
(a) Thoughtful and optimistic.
(b) Angry and pessimistic.
(c) Joyous and spontaneous.
(d) Depressed and suicidal.
5. What other artistic skill did James Thurber have, in addition to writing?
(a) He was a landscape painter.
(b) He was a sculptor.
(c) He was a cartoonist.
(d) He was a voice over actor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a typical Virginia Woolf focus in her essays?
2. What does Tanizaki talk about in "In Praise of Shadows?"
3. At which newspaper did H.L. Mencken work?
4. Who wrote "The Lantern-Bearers"?
5. Who wrote "Hashis in Marseilles"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Walter Benjamin's unfortunate end. How does his essay "Unpacking My Library" relate to this tragic end?
2. What is Robert Louis Stevenson best known for today?
3. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
4. What is the subject of E.B. White's "Once More to the Lake"? What is the message White relays about the state of the lake?
5. What is Junichiro Tanizaki's contribution to world literature? How has Tanizaki's writing style been characterized?
6. How does Seymour Krim's life compare to Mary McCarthy's? How did Krim's childhood impact his writing?
7. What is the subject of Krim's "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business"? What feelings does Krim express in the essay?
8. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
9. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
10. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)