|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
(a) 1705 A.D.
(b) 1472 A.D.
(c) 1892 A.D.
(d) 1962 A.D.
2. What nationality is Walter Benjamin?
3. What is unusual about the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
(a) It contains a coded message if deciphered.
(b) It is written half in Spanish and half in English.
(c) It contains lewd illustrations.
(d) It includes food recipes.
4. Who wrote "Leaving the Movie Theater?"
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) Sara Suleri.
(c) Jose Luis Borges.
(d) Roland Barthes.
5. M.F.K. Fisher's writing revolves around what subject?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jose Luis Borges' attitude in "Blindness?"
2. Robert Louis Stevenson is today best known for what type of writings?
3. When was Lu Hsun born?
4. Who wrote "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
5. What does Tanizaki talk about in "In Praise of Shadows?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
2. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
3. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
4. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
5. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
6. What are the particulars of Ivan Turgenev's "The Execution of Tropmann"?
7. What tone does Mary McCarthy use in "My Confession?" How does she approach herself as well as the subjects of her essays?
8. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
9. What is Ivan Turgenev's opinion of capital punishment? How did Turgenev believe servants should be treated?
10. What is Orwell's "Such, Such Were the Joys..." about? What complaints does Orwell have about the subject?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)