|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
(a) Sei Shonagon.
(b) William Hazlitt.
(c) George Orwell.
(d) Richard Steele.
2. Who wrote "Going Out for a Walk?"
(a) Max Beerbohm.
(c) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(d) G. K. Chesterton.
3. Who wrote "On Being an American?"
(a) James Baldwin.
(b) Mary McCarthy.
(c) Richard Rodriguez.
(d) H. L. Mencken.
4. What is the "failure" spoken about in "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
(a) The failure to write an important novel.
(b) The failure of not appreciating nature.
(c) The failure to make a living financially.
(d) The failure involved in hurting the ones we love.
5. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
(a) The death of her daughter.
(b) The death of her son.
(c) The death of her nephew.
(d) The death of her second husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Virginia Woolf born?
2. What did George Orwell renounce, along with his former life?
3. What occupation did Lu Hsun abandon to become a writer?
4. What term best describes the type of literature written by Virginia Woolf?
5. Henry David Thoreau is well known as being what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What level of literary output did G. K. Chesterton achieve in his lifetime?
2. What is the subject of F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Crack-Up?" What extended metaphor does he use?
3. What subject dominated the writings of George Orwell? Name three specific things George Orwell wrote about.
4. What views is Henry David Thoreau well known for? How did he believe one should live one's life?
5. What two works of G. K. Chesterton are included in this volume? What are the subjects of these essays?
6. What tone is Max Beerbohm famous for in his essays?
7. What style is James Thurber known for? What was a common theme in Thurber's writing?
8. Under what circumstances are Lu Hsun's "This Tool is Life" and "Death" written? What are the subjects of these essays?
9. What kind of literature did Virginia Woolf write? What was a common focus that united her work?
10. How does Seymour Krim's life compare to Mary McCarthy's? How did Krim's childhood impact his writing?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)