|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ou-Yank Hsiu is considered one of eight what?
(a) Foreign diplomats.
(b) Masters of classical prose.
(c) Famous outlaws.
(d) Master playwrights.
2. What does Montaigne conclude in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) Doctors are nothing but charlatans and quacks.
(b) Deformed babies should be killed at birth.
(c) Towns should pursue an "eye for eye" system of justice.
(d) Nothing is contrary to nature; everything is natural.
3. Beyond essays, Samuel Johnson is famous for which text?
(a) The King James version of the Bible.
(b) An English dictionary.
(c) "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere."
(d) A translation of the writings of Julius Caesar.
4. To Plutarch, what is the greatest human bond?
(b) The relationship between emperor and citizen.
(c) The relationship between brother and sister.
5. What is the name of Montaigne's best friend?
(a) Thomas Lacroissier.
(b) Dominique de Villepin.
(c) Etienne de La Boetie.
(d) Adelaide Durand.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which place did Charles Lamb occupy amongst his siblings?
2. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
3. What BEST describes the writing styles of Richard Steele and Joseph Addison?
4. In "Of Books," why does Montaigne quote other writers?
5. On what subject is Sei Shonagon particularly frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. As expressed in "On Some Verses of Virgil," what does Montaigne have to say about the nature of the sexes?
2. What personal details are included in Seneca's "Asthma"?
3. Why is Samuel Johnson famous? What kind of essays did he write?
4. What is dealt with by Kenko in his essay "Essays in Idleness?"
5. How does Montaigne view human nature?
6. Describe the "monstrous child" Montaigne speaks of in "Of a Monstrous Child."
7. What is the subject of Montaigne's "Of Books?"
8. Provide some biographical information on Plutarch? What was his contribution to world literature?
9. What was Michel de Montaigne's background prior to writing?
10. How are the writings of Montaigne structured?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)