|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Hateful Things," Sei Shonagon hates when a mosquito appears at what time?
(a) When one is falling asleep.
(b) When one is having sex.
(c) When one is getting ready to take a bath.
(d) When one is getting ready to eat.
2. Who wrote "On the Pleasure of Hating"?
(a) Sei Shonagon.
(b) Charles Lamb.
(c) Michel de Montaigne.
(d) William Hazlitt.
3. What is Michel de Montaigne considered to be?
(a) The greatest poet who ever lived.
(b) The greatest essayist who ever lived.
(c) The greatest biographer who ever lived.
(d) The greatest playwright who ever lived.
4. In "Slaves," what accounts for the bad behavior of slaves?
(a) Their diet.
(b) Their innate barbarity.
(c) Their confined quarters.
(d) The bad treatment they receive.
5. Where did Maria Edgeworth get her nontraditional views from?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her Sunday School teacher.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay, what opinion does he express about the sexes?
2. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
3. What is Cowley's message in his essay "Of Greatness"?
4. What is Montaigne's general view of humanity?
5. Ou-Yank Hsiu is considered one of eight what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of "Pleasure Boat Studio?"
2. Provide some biographical information on Plutarch? What was his contribution to world literature?
3. What is the tone of Joseph Addison's "Nicolini and the Lions?" What details of the story account for this tone?
4. How does Montaigne view human nature?
5. What was Michel de Montaigne's background prior to writing?
6. What caused Michel de Montaigne to start writing?
7. How are the writings of Montaigne structured?
8. What subjects are talked about in "On Some Verses of Virgil?"
9. What is the subject of Montaigne's "Of Books?"
10. What position on slaves does Seneca take in his essay "Slaves?"
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)