|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Love Letters" by Richard Steele contains love letters written by which two figures?
(a) Stubborn and Easy-going.
(b) Careless and Constant.
(c) Lust and Affection.
(d) Love and Hate.
2. What was the profession of Seneca the Younger's father?
3. Who wrote "An Hour or Two Sacred to Sorrow?"
(a) Abraham Cowley.
(b) Joseph Addison.
(c) Maria Edgeworth.
(d) Richard Steele.
4. According to Kenko, facing death should be like what?
(a) Begging for mercy.
(b) Charging into battle.
(c) Kissing a lover.
(d) Enjoying company with an old friend.
5. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
(a) He was an attorney.
(b) He was a court clerk.
(c) He was a tanner.
(d) He was a teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ou-Yank Hsiu is considered one of eight what?
2. What kind of social company does Sei Shonagon express hatred for in "Hateful Things?"
3. Who raised Charles Lamb?
4. Which famous author does Michel de Montaigne rely upon for several quotations in the final essay in the volume?
5. What is the implicit message of "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What accounts for Maria Edgeworth's nontraditional views of male/female relationships? How are these views represented in "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification"?
2. What is the tone of Joseph Addison's "Nicolini and the Lions?" What details of the story account for this tone?
3. What is the biographical background necessary to understand "Consolation to His Wife" by Plutarch?
4. How are the writings of Montaigne structured?
5. Name three things that Sei Shonagon declares her dislike for in "Hateful Things."
6. What is the subject of Montaigne's "Of Books?"
7. What philosophy of death does Plutarch advise in "Consolation to His Wife?"
8. Describe the "monstrous child" Montaigne speaks of in "Of a Monstrous Child."
9. Why is Samuel Johnson famous? What kind of essays did he write?
10. What is "On Noise" about? What does Seneca advise?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)