|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montaigne admit in "Of Books?"
(a) No one has more educated views than himself.
(b) There are a lot of people with more educated views than himself.
(c) He admits to cheating on his wife.
(d) He has not learned to read Latin, but intends to someday.
2. Who raised Charles Lamb?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His older sister.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) The state.
3. To Plutarch, what is the greatest human bond?
(b) The relationship between brother and sister.
(d) The relationship between emperor and citizen.
4. What is wrong with the child in "Of A Monstrous Child?"
(a) The child had both male and female sexual organs.
(b) The child was born badly deformed.
(c) The child was born with three eyes.
(d) The child is a criminal and menace to the town.
5. Beyond the Monstrous Child, who else is discussed in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) A man who grows too much hair like a wolf.
(b) A woman who sleeps with men and then steals their money.
(c) A man who claimed to see demons in his sleep.
(d) A man in his thirties with no genitalia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plutarch is known for his tenderness towards which group of people?
2. When was Charles Lamb born?
3. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
4. Plutarch is known as the first great what?
5. Which famous author does Michel de Montaigne rely upon for several quotations in the final essay in the volume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Abraham Cowley's "Of Greatness"? What point does Abraham Cowley make?
2. What is Seneca's philosophical background? Why is that background problematic?
3. How are the writings of Montaigne structured?
4. What does Montaigne say in "Of a Monstrous Child" about things or people humans consider "monstrous?"
5. How does Montaigne view human nature?
6. What is the subject of Richard Steele's "Twenty-four Hours in London"? What point does Steele make in the story?
7. What position on slaves does Seneca take in his essay "Slaves?"
8. What was Michel de Montaigne's background prior to writing?
9. What is the subject of "Pleasure Boat Studio?"
10. What accounts for Maria Edgeworth's nontraditional views of male/female relationships? How are these views represented in "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification"?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)