|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a well-known story written by Robert Louis Stevenson?
(a) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
(b) Treasure Island.
(d) The Tell-Tale Heart.
2. Henry David Thoreau is well known as being what?
(a) A racist.
(b) A nonconformist.
(c) A humorist.
(d) A Communist.
3. M.F.K. Fisher's writing revolves around what subject?
4. Who wrote "Leaving the Movie Theater?"
(a) Sara Suleri.
(b) Roland Barthes.
(c) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(d) Jose Luis Borges.
5. Who wrote "The Ring of Time?"
(a) E. B. White.
(b) Joan Didion.
(c) Gore Vidal.
(d) Wendell Berry.
6. What illness did Virginia Woolf have to deal with at several times in her life?
(a) Paranoid Schizophrenia.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
7. Who wrote "The Lantern-Bearers"?
(a) G. K. Chesterton.
(b) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Charles Lamb.
8. When was Junichiro Tanizaki born?
(a) 30 B.C.
(b) 1052 A.D.
(c) 342 A.D.
(d) 1886 A.D.
9. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
(b) James Thurber: Confidential.
(c) Autobiography of a Biographist.
(d) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
10. Who wrote "On Being an American?"
(a) H. L. Mencken.
(b) James Baldwin.
(c) Mary McCarthy.
(d) Richard Rodriguez.
11. Who wrote "My Confession?"
(a) Charles Lamb.
(b) Mary McCarthy.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) James Baldwin.
12. What does Tanizaki talk about in "In Praise of Shadows?"
(a) The birth of his daughter.
(b) The dying of the old ways.
(c) The horror of blindness.
(d) The intensity of beauty.
13. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
(a) 1892 A.D.
(b) 1472 A.D.
(c) 1962 A.D.
(d) 1705 A.D.
14. Who wrote "Hashis in Marseilles"?
(a) Maria Edgeworth.
(b) Michel de Montaigne.
(c) Walter Benjamin.
(d) Henry David Thoreau.
15. What subject chiefly interests George Orwell?
(c) Unexplained phenomenon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
2. James Thurber is said to have inspired what, in American essay prose?
3. When does the execution take place in "The Execution of Tropmann?"
4. Who is Hsun addressing in his essay "Death?"
5. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)