|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a frequent subject of Lu Hsun's work?
(a) The class system.
(b) The beauty of the natural world.
(c) Ships and sailing.
(d) Poverty and the struggle that results from it.
2. What did George Orwell renounce, along with his former life?
(b) The Catholic church.
(c) The class system.
(d) The English legal system.
3. Under what circumstances did Walter Benjamin die?
(a) He died of old age.
(b) He fell off a building.
(c) He committed suicide.
(d) He was shot by a soldier.
4. What inspired Ivan Turgenev's view of servants?
(a) He was raised by a servant.
(b) Turgenev's father trafficked in slaves.
(c) His father was killed by a servant.
(d) He was raised watching his mother abuse all of those around her.
5. Who wrote "Leaving the Movie Theater?"
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) Jose Luis Borges.
(c) Sara Suleri.
(d) Roland Barthes.
6. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) Autobiography of a Biographist.
(b) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
(c) James Thurber: Confidential.
(d) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
7. Who wrote "The Execution of Tropmann?"
(a) Hubert Butler.
(b) Carlos Fuentes.
(c) Ivan Turgenev.
(d) William Hazlitt.
8. What did Mencken call his collection of writings?
(b) "Brain Scribblings."
(c) "The Ruin of an Otherwise Perfect Day."
(d) "Sweet Treats."
9. Who wrote "The Ring of Time?"
(a) Wendell Berry.
(b) Gore Vidal.
(c) Joan Didion.
(d) E. B. White.
10. What does the author think of the lake he revisits in "Once More to the Lake?"
(a) No actual lake is mentioned in the essay.
(b) The lake has improved because of technology.
(c) The lake is just the same as the author remembered it.
(d) The lake has suffered from the effects of technology and modernization.
11. What is the "failure" spoken about in "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
(a) The failure to write an important novel.
(b) The failure of not appreciating nature.
(c) The failure involved in hurting the ones we love.
(d) The failure to make a living financially.
12. M.F.K. Fisher's writing revolves around what subject?
13. Who wrote "Beside the Nore?"
(b) Hubert Butler.
(c) E.M. Cioran.
(d) Sei Shonagon.
14. What does Tanizaki talk about in "In Praise of Shadows?"
(a) The horror of blindness.
(b) The intensity of beauty.
(c) The dying of the old ways.
(d) The birth of his daughter.
15. James Thurber is said to have inspired what, in American essay prose?
(c) Discussion of race issues.
(d) Pregnant pauses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Walter Benjamin?
2. Who wrote "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
3. Who wrote "Once More to the Lake"?
4. Henry David Thoreau is well known as being what?
5. What is unusual about the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)