|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can the writings of H. L. Mencken BEST be described?
(a) Centered on race issues.
(d) Centered on death.
2. Under what circumstances did Walter Benjamin die?
(a) He fell off a building.
(b) He committed suicide.
(c) He died of old age.
(d) He was shot by a soldier.
3. Who is Hsun addressing in his essay "Death?"
(b) Death himself.
(c) His family.
(d) The emperor of China.
4. What might best describe the attitude of the author in "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
(a) Thoughtful and optimistic.
(b) Joyous and spontaneous.
(c) Angry and pessimistic.
(d) Depressed and suicidal.
5. Who wrote "Going Out for a Walk?"
(a) G. K. Chesterton.
(b) Ou-Yank Hsiu.
(c) Max Beerbohm.
6. What other artistic skill did James Thurber have, in addition to writing?
(a) He was a sculptor.
(b) He was a landscape painter.
(c) He was a cartoonist.
(d) He was a voice over actor.
7. Who wrote "An Apology for Idlers?"
(a) Robert Louis Stevenson.
(b) Maria Edgeworth.
(c) George Orwell.
8. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
(a) 1892 A.D.
(b) 1472 A.D.
(c) 1962 A.D.
(d) 1705 A.D.
9. What term best describes the type of literature written by Virginia Woolf?
(a) Epic poetry.
(b) Modern fiction.
10. Robert Louis Stevenson is today best known for what type of writings?
(d) Diary entries.
11. Who wrote "Once More to the Lake"?
(a) Sara Suleri.
(b) Charles Lamb.
(c) E. B. White.
(d) Maria Edgeworth.
12. At which newspaper did H.L. Mencken work?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The New York Post-Gazette.
(c) The Baltimore Sun.
(d) The New York Times.
13. Who wrote "The Death of the Moth?"
(a) Max Beerbohm.
(c) Maria Edgeworth.
(d) Virginia Woolf.
14. What does Tanizaki talk about in "In Praise of Shadows?"
(a) The dying of the old ways.
(b) The birth of his daughter.
(c) The horror of blindness.
(d) The intensity of beauty.
15. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
(a) The death of her second husband.
(b) The death of her son.
(c) The death of her nephew.
(d) The death of her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "failure" spoken about in "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
2. What did George Orwell renounce, along with his former life?
3. What did Mencken call his collection of writings?
4. James Thurber is said to have inspired what, in American essay prose?
5. Who wrote "The Crack-Up"?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)