|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following subjects is NOT discussed in Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay?
2. Where did Maria Edgeworth get her nontraditional views from?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her Sunday School teacher.
3. How did Montaigne's father treat Montaigne?
(a) He indulged and spoiled him.
(b) He forced him to work in a linen factory at age 8.
(c) He abandoned him, and Montaigne was raised by his grandparents mostly.
(d) He whipped him cruelly for minor offenses.
4. In "Of Books," why does Montaigne quote other writers?
(a) To further expand upon points he is making.
(b) To provide fanciful stories that break up the monotony of the personal essay.
(c) To include love poetry for his most important reader, his wife.
(d) To show how inferior other authors' works are to his own.
5. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
(a) 18th century.
(b) 10th century.
(c) 6th century.
(d) 14th century.
6. Plutarch was a priest of which temple?
7. Seneca the Younger adheres to which school of philosophy?
8. Why did William Hazlitt decide to abandon painting for poetry?
(a) His father forbade him to practice painting.
(b) He met two famous poets.
(c) He met a snobbish painter who disillusioned him.
(d) His wife died, and he suffered a mental breakdown.
9. When was Charles Lamb born?
(a) 1775 A. D.
(b) 1175 A. D.
(c) 847 A.D.
(d) 1903 A. D.
10. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
(b) Excessive moralizing.
(c) Exaggerated metaphors.
(d) Pen names.
11. Who wrote "A Chapter on Ears?"
(a) Charles Lamb.
(b) Abraham Cowley.
(d) Maria Edgeworth.
12. Abraham Cowley's style is said to reflect what type of person?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The common man.
(c) The soldier.
(d) The aristocrat.
13. What art form is Seneca considered the founder of?
(a) The novel.
(b) The essay.
(c) The play.
(d) The portrait painting.
14. When was Maria Edgeworth born?
(a) 895 A.D.
(b) 1897 A.D.
(c) 1768 A.D.
(d) 1512 A.D.
15. In "Hateful Things," Sei Shonagon hates when a mosquito appears at what time?
(a) When one is falling asleep.
(b) When one is having sex.
(c) When one is getting ready to take a bath.
(d) When one is getting ready to eat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raised Charles Lamb?
2. What is unusual about Montaigne's first book, as opposed to any books thereafter?
3. In "Slaves," what accounts for the bad behavior of slaves?
4. In addition to a personal essayist, what kind of essayist is Samuel Johnson.
5. On what subject is Sei Shonagon particularly frank?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)