|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to a personal essayist, what kind of essayist is Samuel Johnson.
(a) Progressive essayist.
(b) Impersonal essayist.
(c) Anti-intellectual essayist.
(d) Moral essayist.
2. Who wrote "A Chapter on Ears?"
(a) Charles Lamb.
(c) Abraham Cowley.
(d) Maria Edgeworth.
3. Beyond the Monstrous Child, who else is discussed in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) A woman who sleeps with men and then steals their money.
(b) A man who grows too much hair like a wolf.
(c) A man in his thirties with no genitalia.
(d) A man who claimed to see demons in his sleep.
4. Where does Montaigne retire to study and write?
(a) A castle in Scotland.
(b) The family estate.
(c) A boat on the river Seine.
(d) A flat in Germany.
5. In "On Noise," what is necessary for a person to ignore the noise of the outside world?
(a) Inner peace.
(b) A goal to concentrate on with singular focus.
(c) Excellent earplugs.
(d) One must venture into the world in order to quiet it.
6. Plutarch is known as the first great what?
(a) Personal essayist.
7. From his second book on, what subject did Montaigne promise to pursue?
(d) His wife.
8. What reasoning does Plutarch offer in "Consolation to His Wife?"
(a) There is no sense in mourning someone who was released quickly from their earthly prison.
(b) Memories are nearly as good as the real person.
(c) There is no sense in mourning such a bad person.
(d) There is little sense in praying, as there are no gods.
9. What is Montaigne's general view of humanity?
(a) Humans are noble and wise.
(b) Humans are vain and shameful.
(c) Humans are courageous and bold.
(d) Humans are murderous animals.
10. At which university did Abraham Cowley study?
(c) The University of Paris.
11. What does Montaigne admit in "Of Books?"
(a) No one has more educated views than himself.
(b) There are a lot of people with more educated views than himself.
(c) He has not learned to read Latin, but intends to someday.
(d) He admits to cheating on his wife.
12. What is Richard Steele's message in his essay "Twenty-four Hours in London"?
(a) Everything that should be seen in London can be seen in the span of twenty-four hours.
(b) Londoners are cruel, petty people.
(c) One's attitude toward the world should be one of simple enjoyment, rather than desire for material gain.
(d) Hedonism, in the form of drinking and carousing, is the greatest good.
13. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
(a) Excessive moralizing.
(b) Pen names.
(c) Exaggerated metaphors.
14. Which trait BEST describes what others thought of Michel de Montaigne in his youth?
15. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
(a) He was a teacher.
(b) He was an attorney.
(c) He was a tanner.
(d) He was a court clerk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "An Hour or Two Sacred to Sorrow?"
2. What place does Seneca describe in "Scipio's Villa?"
3. Abraham Cowley's style is said to reflect what type of person?
4. What physical condition does Seneca discuss in a titular essay?
5. What is unusual about Montaigne's first book, as opposed to any books thereafter?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)