|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cowley's message in his essay "Of Greatness"?
(a) Large things are impressive to the senses, and create awe.
(b) Wealth and power are the two factors that influence happiness.
(c) One should be content with little things.
(d) Men are either born great, or they have greatness thrust upon them.
2. What does Montaigne conclude in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) Deformed babies should be killed at birth.
(b) Nothing is contrary to nature; everything is natural.
(c) Towns should pursue an "eye for eye" system of justice.
(d) Doctors are nothing but charlatans and quacks.
3. Beyond the Monstrous Child, who else is discussed in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) A woman who sleeps with men and then steals their money.
(b) A man in his thirties with no genitalia.
(c) A man who claimed to see demons in his sleep.
(d) A man who grows too much hair like a wolf.
4. How did Seneca die?
(a) He died in old age of natural causes.
(b) He died from an asthma attack.
(c) He choked on a chicken bone.
(d) He took his own life.
5. From his second book on, what subject did Montaigne promise to pursue?
(a) His wife.
6. In "Slaves," what accounts for the bad behavior of slaves?
(a) Their innate barbarity.
(b) The bad treatment they receive.
(c) Their confined quarters.
(d) Their diet.
7. What is wrong with the child in "Of A Monstrous Child?"
(a) The child is a criminal and menace to the town.
(b) The child was born badly deformed.
(c) The child was born with three eyes.
(d) The child had both male and female sexual organs.
8. According to Montaigne, what is the source of the difference between men and women?
(c) Custom and education.
(d) Divine intervention.
9. Who wrote "A Chapter on Ears?"
(a) Abraham Cowley.
(b) Charles Lamb.
(d) Maria Edgeworth.
10. What kind of family background did Montaigne come from?
(a) His mother was rich, but his father came from a poor family.
(b) His father was rich, but his mother came from a poor family.
(c) Both his father and mother's families were well-off and prominent.
(d) Montaigne came from a poor background.
11. What does Montaigne admit in "Of Books?"
(a) He admits to cheating on his wife.
(b) No one has more educated views than himself.
(c) He has not learned to read Latin, but intends to someday.
(d) There are a lot of people with more educated views than himself.
12. To Plutarch, what is the greatest human bond?
(a) The relationship between brother and sister.
(b) The relationship between emperor and citizen.
13. What tragedy did Charles Lamb's family endure?
(a) Charles' mother was killed by his sister.
(b) Charles' mother was arrested for armed robbery.
(c) Charles' father had an incestuous relationship with his sister.
(d) Charles' father died from cancer.
14. In "On Noise," what is necessary for a person to ignore the noise of the outside world?
(a) Excellent earplugs.
(b) A goal to concentrate on with singular focus.
(c) Inner peace.
(d) One must venture into the world in order to quiet it.
15. What is the name of Montaigne's best friend?
(a) Adelaide Durand.
(b) Dominique de Villepin.
(c) Thomas Lacroissier.
(d) Etienne de La Boetie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plutarch is known as the first great what?
2. What is Montaigne's view on quoting and crediting other authors?
3. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
4. What BEST describes the writing styles of Richard Steele and Joseph Addison?
5. What colorful phrase does Seneca provide as another way to describe asthma?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)