|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What attitude does Seneca have toward slaves in "Slaves?"
(a) He believes slaves are mostly superior to their masters.
(b) He believes slaves are dirty, and should not be let into the house.
(c) He believes masters and slaves are only separated by fortune.
(d) He believes slaves are clearly inferior to their masters.
2. Seneca the Younger adheres to which school of philosophy?
3. Beyond the Monstrous Child, who else is discussed in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) A man who claimed to see demons in his sleep.
(b) A man in his thirties with no genitalia.
(c) A man who grows too much hair like a wolf.
(d) A woman who sleeps with men and then steals their money.
4. What is Cowley's message in his essay "Of Greatness"?
(a) Men are either born great, or they have greatness thrust upon them.
(b) Wealth and power are the two factors that influence happiness.
(c) One should be content with little things.
(d) Large things are impressive to the senses, and create awe.
5. Which famous author does Michel de Montaigne rely upon for several quotations in the final essay in the volume?
(d) Cato the Elder.
6. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
(a) 14th century.
(b) 18th century.
(c) 10th century.
(d) 6th century.
7. What kind of family background did Montaigne come from?
(a) His father was rich, but his mother came from a poor family.
(b) His mother was rich, but his father came from a poor family.
(c) Montaigne came from a poor background.
(d) Both his father and mother's families were well-off and prominent.
8. Why is Plutarch consoling his wife in "Consolation to His Wife?"
(a) Their daughter died.
(b) Her father died.
(c) Their son died.
(d) Her mother died.
9. Who wrote "Nicolini and the Lions?"
(a) Michel de Montaigne.
(b) Joseph Addison.
(c) Charles Lamb.
10. From his second book on, what subject did Montaigne promise to pursue?
(a) His wife.
11. Who is the subject of Chapter 2 in the book?
(b) Michel de Montaigne.
(d) Mark Twain.
12. What does a woman's level of attachment to a man depend upon, according to Sei Shonagon?
(a) The elegance with which a man talks to the woman.
(b) The way a man smells.
(c) The quality of gifts the man gives the woman.
(d) The way the man takes his leave of the woman.
13. What tragedy did Charles Lamb's family endure?
(a) Charles' mother was arrested for armed robbery.
(b) Charles' father had an incestuous relationship with his sister.
(c) Charles' father died from cancer.
(d) Charles' mother was killed by his sister.
14. When was Charles Lamb born?
(a) 1775 A. D.
(b) 1175 A. D.
(c) 1903 A. D.
(d) 847 A.D.
15. What reasoning does Plutarch offer in "Consolation to His Wife?"
(a) Memories are nearly as good as the real person.
(b) There is little sense in praying, as there are no gods.
(c) There is no sense in mourning such a bad person.
(d) There is no sense in mourning someone who was released quickly from their earthly prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the child in "Of A Monstrous Child?"
2. What does Montaigne admit in "Of Books?"
3. What is the implicit message of "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification?"
4. When was Maria Edgeworth born?
5. In Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay, what opinion does he express about the sexes?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)