|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Seneca die?
(a) He choked on a chicken bone.
(b) He died from an asthma attack.
(c) He took his own life.
(d) He died in old age of natural causes.
2. Which famous author does Michel de Montaigne rely upon for several quotations in the final essay in the volume?
(c) Cato the Elder.
3. When was Maria Edgeworth born?
(a) 1897 A.D.
(b) 1512 A.D.
(c) 895 A.D.
(d) 1768 A.D.
4. What physical condition does Seneca discuss in a titular essay?
5. Which of the following labels BEST describe the writings of Montaigne?
6. Which is NOT one of the essays written by Ou-Yank Hsiu?
(a) "Farewell to Yang Shih"
(b) "My Three Zithers"
(c) "Old Drunkard's Pavilion"
(d) "Essays in Idleness"
7. Which trait BEST describes what others thought of Michel de Montaigne in his youth?
8. What is Michel de Montaigne considered to be?
(a) The greatest essayist who ever lived.
(b) The greatest playwright who ever lived.
(c) The greatest poet who ever lived.
(d) The greatest biographer who ever lived.
9. When was Ou-Yank Hsiu born?
(a) 1007 A.D.
(b) 1113 B.C.
(c) 1345 A.D.
(d) 208 A.D.
10. How was Montaigne's first book received?
(a) It was scorned, and vilified in the newspapers.
(b) It was largely ignored by the public.
(c) It enjoyed a great deal of success.
(d) It was self-published, and only three people got to see it at the time.
11. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
(a) Exaggerated metaphors.
(b) Excessive moralizing.
(d) Pen names.
12. At which university did Abraham Cowley study?
(d) The University of Paris.
13. According to Kenko, facing death should be like what?
(a) Charging into battle.
(b) Kissing a lover.
(c) Begging for mercy.
(d) Enjoying company with an old friend.
14. What does Montaigne conclude in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) Deformed babies should be killed at birth.
(b) Towns should pursue an "eye for eye" system of justice.
(c) Nothing is contrary to nature; everything is natural.
(d) Doctors are nothing but charlatans and quacks.
15. "Love Letters" by Richard Steele contains love letters written by which two figures?
(a) Careless and Constant.
(b) Lust and Affection.
(c) Stubborn and Easy-going.
(d) Love and Hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beyond essays, Samuel Johnson is famous for which text?
2. In addition to a personal essayist, what kind of essayist is Samuel Johnson.
3. When was Charles Lamb born?
4. Which of the following subjects is NOT discussed in Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay?
5. Who wrote "An Hour or Two Sacred to Sorrow?"
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)