|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The American Scene-Page 479-585.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What colorful phrase does Seneca provide as another way to describe asthma?
(a) Rehearsing death.
(b) Sucking wind.
(c) Hellish hiccups.
(d) Speechless sweeps.
2. What does "Pleasure Boat Studio" refer to?
(a) A ship that houses several prostitutes.
(b) The nickname for a room in a governmental office.
(c) A studio in which Ou-Yank Hsiu loves to paint seascapes.
(d) A private place in the park by the pond.
3. How can the writings of H. L. Mencken BEST be described?
(a) Centered on race issues.
(c) Centered on death.
4. What is Montaigne's general view of humanity?
(a) Humans are noble and wise.
(b) Humans are vain and shameful.
(c) Humans are courageous and bold.
(d) Humans are murderous animals.
5. What occupation did Lu Hsun abandon to become a writer?
(c) Court official.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other artistic skill did James Thurber have, in addition to writing?
2. Robert Louis Stevenson is today best known for what type of writings?
3. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
4. In "Hateful Things," Sei Shonagon hates when a mosquito appears at what time?
5. What kind of social company does Sei Shonagon express hatred for in "Hateful Things?"
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)