|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The American Scene-Page 479-585.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
(a) The death of her daughter.
(b) The death of her nephew.
(c) The death of her second husband.
(d) The death of her son.
2. Who wrote "An Apology for Idlers?"
(a) George Orwell.
(b) Maria Edgeworth.
(c) Robert Louis Stevenson.
3. At which university did Abraham Cowley study?
(d) The University of Paris.
4. Robert Louis Stevenson is today best known for what type of writings?
(b) Diary entries.
5. What is Montaigne's view on quoting and crediting other authors?
(a) Montaigne relies upon other authors' works, and quotes them regularly.
(b) Montaigne quotes others' works, but he frequently confuses the author or mangles the original quotation.
(c) Montaigne feels it is a weakness to quote others; one's work should be the product of original thought.
(d) Montaigne plagiarizes large portions of his essays, and does not credit the original author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Seneca describe in "Scipio's Villa?"
2. What does the author think of the lake he revisits in "Once More to the Lake?"
3. What event starts the essay, "On Running After One's Hat?"
4. What is the subject of "Such, Such Were the Joys..."?
5. Which famous author is mentioned in the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)