|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The American Scene-Page 479-585.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous author is mentioned in the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
(a) Mark Twain.
(c) Toni Morrison.
(d) Jonathan Swift.
2. Beyond the Monstrous Child, who else is discussed in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
(a) A woman who sleeps with men and then steals their money.
(b) A man who claimed to see demons in his sleep.
(c) A man in his thirties with no genitalia.
(d) A man who grows too much hair like a wolf.
3. Where did Maria Edgeworth get her nontraditional views from?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her Sunday School teacher.
(d) Her mother.
4. James Thurber is said to have inspired what, in American essay prose?
(b) Discussion of race issues.
(d) Pregnant pauses.
5. Which of the following subjects is NOT discussed in Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay?
Short Answer Questions
1. What death did M.F.K. Fisher have to endure that she writes about?
2. Who wrote "This Tool Is Life?"
3. Who wrote "On Being an American?"
4. Who wrote "Street Haunting?"
5. According to Montaigne, what is the source of the difference between men and women?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)