|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The American Scene-Page 479-585.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a well-known story written by Robert Louis Stevenson?
(a) Treasure Island.
(b) The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
(d) The Tell-Tale Heart.
2. Who wrote "The Ring of Time?"
(a) Gore Vidal.
(b) Joan Didion.
(c) E. B. White.
(d) Wendell Berry.
3. Who wrote "For My Brothers and Sisters in the Failure Business?"
(a) Joseph Addison.
(b) Gayle Pemberton.
(c) G. K. Chesterton.
(d) Seymour Krim.
4. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) James Thurber: Confidential.
(b) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
(c) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
(d) Autobiography of a Biographist.
5. Where does Montaigne retire to study and write?
(a) A castle in Scotland.
(b) A boat on the river Seine.
(c) The family estate.
(d) A flat in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to a personal essayist, what kind of essayist is Samuel Johnson.
2. What nationality is Walter Benjamin?
3. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
4. What kind of social company does Sei Shonagon express hatred for in "Hateful Things?"
5. Who wrote "Once More to the Lake"?
This section contains 219 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)