|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay- Page 113-211.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Seneca the Younger born?
(a) 300 B.C.
(b) 525 A.D.
(c) 1420 A.D.
(d) 3 A.D.
2. What does Montaigne admit in "Of Books?"
(a) He admits to cheating on his wife.
(b) He has not learned to read Latin, but intends to someday.
(c) There are a lot of people with more educated views than himself.
(d) No one has more educated views than himself.
3. Who wrote "An Hour or Two Sacred to Sorrow?"
(a) Abraham Cowley.
(b) Joseph Addison.
(c) Richard Steele.
(d) Maria Edgeworth.
4. "Love Letters" by Richard Steele contains love letters written by which two figures?
(a) Stubborn and Easy-going.
(b) Lust and Affection.
(c) Careless and Constant.
(d) Love and Hate.
5. Which of the following labels BEST describe the writings of Montaigne?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the essays written by Ou-Yank Hsiu?
2. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
3. What does Montaigne have in common with Saint Augustine?
4. What art form is Seneca considered the founder of?
5. Why prompted Montaigne to retire from his career to pursue writing?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)