|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay- Page 113-211.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Abraham Cowley's style is said to reflect what type of person?
(a) The lawyer.
(b) The common man.
(c) The soldier.
(d) The aristocrat.
2. Where did Maria Edgeworth get her nontraditional views from?
(a) Her Sunday School teacher.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her mother.
3. From his second book on, what subject did Montaigne promise to pursue?
(c) His wife.
4. What kind of social company does Sei Shonagon express hatred for in "Hateful Things?"
(a) Company that will not leave.
(b) Company that asks prying questions.
(c) Company that does not talk.
(d) Company that eats all of one's food.
5. Plutarch is known as the first great what?
(d) Personal essayist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Montaigne retire to study and write?
2. How did Charles Lamb sign many of his essays?
3. What reasoning does Plutarch offer in "Consolation to His Wife?"
4. Which of the following subjects is NOT discussed in Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay?
5. When did Plutarch die?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)