|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay- Page 113-211.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Plutarch, what is the greatest human bond?
(a) The relationship between emperor and citizen.
(d) The relationship between brother and sister.
2. What was the profession of Seneca the Younger's father?
3. What reasoning does Plutarch offer in "Consolation to His Wife?"
(a) There is no sense in mourning such a bad person.
(b) Memories are nearly as good as the real person.
(c) There is little sense in praying, as there are no gods.
(d) There is no sense in mourning someone who was released quickly from their earthly prison.
4. To what character may many of Montaigne's writings may be considered similar to?
5. Where does Montaigne retire to study and write?
(a) The family estate.
(b) A castle in Scotland.
(c) A flat in Germany.
(d) A boat on the river Seine.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why prompted Montaigne to retire from his career to pursue writing?
2. What is Cowley's message in his essay "Of Greatness"?
3. What is Richard Steele's message in his essay "Twenty-four Hours in London"?
4. What tragedy did Charles Lamb's family endure?
5. What colorful phrase does Seneca provide as another way to describe asthma?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)