|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay- Page 113-211.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why prompted Montaigne to retire from his career to pursue writing?
(a) The birth of his first child.
(b) The death of his best friend.
(c) The death of his wife.
(d) His own bankruptcy.
2. What is Montaigne's general view of humanity?
(a) Humans are murderous animals.
(b) Humans are courageous and bold.
(c) Humans are noble and wise.
(d) Humans are vain and shameful.
3. From his second book on, what subject did Montaigne promise to pursue?
(b) His wife.
4. Who wrote "An Hour or Two Sacred to Sorrow?"
(a) Joseph Addison.
(b) Maria Edgeworth.
(c) Abraham Cowley.
(d) Richard Steele.
5. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
(a) Exaggerated metaphors.
(b) Pen names.
(d) Excessive moralizing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification?"
2. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
3. What attitude does Seneca have toward slaves in "Slaves?"
4. What is the name of Montaigne's best friend?
5. When was Maria Edgeworth born?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)