|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay- Page 113-211.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "On Noise," what is necessary for a person to ignore the noise of the outside world?
(a) Inner peace.
(b) A goal to concentrate on with singular focus.
(c) Excellent earplugs.
(d) One must venture into the world in order to quiet it.
2. What is Montaigne's general view of humanity?
(a) Humans are courageous and bold.
(b) Humans are murderous animals.
(c) Humans are noble and wise.
(d) Humans are vain and shameful.
3. How did Seneca die?
(a) He died from an asthma attack.
(b) He took his own life.
(c) He died in old age of natural causes.
(d) He choked on a chicken bone.
4. Beyond essays, Samuel Johnson is famous for which text?
(a) "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere."
(b) The King James version of the Bible.
(c) An English dictionary.
(d) A translation of the writings of Julius Caesar.
5. What is unusual about Montaigne's first book, as opposed to any books thereafter?
(a) His first book was not of a personal nature.
(b) His first book was the only one published in his lifetime.
(c) His first book was the only one of a personal nature.
(d) His first book was the only commercially successful book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What BEST describes the writing styles of Richard Steele and Joseph Addison?
2. Where does Montaigne retire to study and write?
3. Which of the following labels BEST describe the writings of Montaigne?
4. What is the implicit message of "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification?"
5. What art form is Seneca considered the founder of?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)