|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay- Page 113-211.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Montaigne's general view of humanity?
(a) Humans are vain and shameful.
(b) Humans are courageous and bold.
(c) Humans are murderous animals.
(d) Humans are noble and wise.
2. What tragedy did Charles Lamb's family endure?
(a) Charles' father had an incestuous relationship with his sister.
(b) Charles' mother was arrested for armed robbery.
(c) Charles' father died from cancer.
(d) Charles' mother was killed by his sister.
3. What is ironic about the Montaigne essay title, "Of a Monstrous Child?"?
(a) The child talked about is in fact saintly and kind.
(b) Montaigne is in fact arguing that nothing is "monstrous" by nature.
(c) Montaigne is obliquely refer to gluttony, stating that it is born "of a monstrous child."
(d) The "monster" is a man who only behaves like a child.
4. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
(a) He was a court clerk.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He was a tanner.
(d) He was an attorney.
5. Why is Plutarch consoling his wife in "Consolation to His Wife?"
(a) Her father died.
(b) Their son died.
(c) Their daughter died.
(d) Her mother died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the implicit message of "An Essay on the Noble Science of Self-Justification?"
2. Who raised Charles Lamb?
3. To Plutarch, what is the greatest human bond?
4. What does Montaigne conclude in "Of a Monstrous Child?"
5. What art form is Seneca considered the founder of?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)