|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Fountainhead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What colorful phrase does Seneca provide as another way to describe asthma?
(a) Sucking wind.
(b) Hellish hiccups.
(c) Rehearsing death.
(d) Speechless sweeps.
2. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
(a) 14th century.
(b) 10th century.
(c) 18th century.
(d) 6th century.
3. Where is Plutarch traveling when he writes "Consolation to His Wife?"
(d) North Africa.
4. In "Of Books," why does Montaigne quote other writers?
(a) To include love poetry for his most important reader, his wife.
(b) To provide fanciful stories that break up the monotony of the personal essay.
(c) To further expand upon points he is making.
(d) To show how inferior other authors' works are to his own.
5. What is Montaigne's view on quoting and crediting other authors?
(a) Montaigne relies upon other authors' works, and quotes them regularly.
(b) Montaigne plagiarizes large portions of his essays, and does not credit the original author.
(c) Montaigne feels it is a weakness to quote others; one's work should be the product of original thought.
(d) Montaigne quotes others' works, but he frequently confuses the author or mangles the original quotation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seneca the Younger adheres to which school of philosophy?
2. What is Michel de Montaigne considered to be?
3. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
4. What is unusual about Montaigne's first book, as opposed to any books thereafter?
5. According to Kenko, facing death should be like what?
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)