|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5, The American Scene-Page 479-585.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other artistic skill did James Thurber have, in addition to writing?
(a) He was a sculptor.
(b) He was a landscape painter.
(c) He was a cartoonist.
(d) He was a voice over actor.
2. What title did Thurber give to his humorous autobiographical essay?
(a) James Thurber, I Hardly Knew You.
(b) The Secret Life of James Thurber.
(c) Autobiography of a Biographist.
(d) James Thurber: Confidential.
3. At which newspaper did H.L. Mencken work?
(a) The Baltimore Sun.
(b) The New York Post-Gazette.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Washington Post.
4. How did Virginia Woolf die?
(a) Of old age.
(b) She drowned herself.
(c) She was shot by a jealous lover.
(d) She was run over by an automobile.
5. When was Walter Benjamin Born?
(a) 1892 A.D.
(b) 1472 A.D.
(c) 1962 A.D.
(d) 1705 A.D.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
2. When was Junichiro Tanizaki born?
3. At which university did Abraham Cowley study?
4. What is unusual about the essay "Once a Tramp, Always...?"
5. Which of the following labels BEST describe the writings of Montaigne?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)