|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2, Fountainhead.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following labels BEST describe the writings of Montaigne?
2. What is ironic about the Montaigne essay title, "Of a Monstrous Child?"?
(a) The "monster" is a man who only behaves like a child.
(b) Montaigne is obliquely refer to gluttony, stating that it is born "of a monstrous child."
(c) Montaigne is in fact arguing that nothing is "monstrous" by nature.
(d) The child talked about is in fact saintly and kind.
3. Which of the following subjects is NOT discussed in Montaigne's "On Some Verses..." essay?
4. What art form is Seneca considered the founder of?
(a) The novel.
(b) The essay.
(c) The play.
(d) The portrait painting.
5. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
(a) He was an attorney.
(b) He was a teacher.
(c) He was a court clerk.
(d) He was a tanner.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Seneca the Younger born?
2. How did Seneca die?
3. How was Montaigne's first book received?
4. At what age did Montaigne begin writing?
5. To what character may many of Montaigne's writings may be considered similar to?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)