|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay-Page 212-302.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To Plutarch, what is the greatest human bond?
(a) The relationship between brother and sister.
(d) The relationship between emperor and citizen.
2. Beyond essays, Samuel Johnson is famous for which text?
(a) An English dictionary.
(b) "The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere."
(c) A translation of the writings of Julius Caesar.
(d) The King James version of the Bible.
3. What colorful phrase does Seneca provide as another way to describe asthma?
(a) Rehearsing death.
(b) Sucking wind.
(c) Hellish hiccups.
(d) Speechless sweeps.
4. "Love Letters" by Richard Steele contains love letters written by which two figures?
(a) Stubborn and Easy-going.
(b) Love and Hate.
(c) Careless and Constant.
(d) Lust and Affection.
5. What subject chiefly interests George Orwell?
(c) Unexplained phenomenon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the child in "Of A Monstrous Child?"
2. In what century did Sei Shonagon live?
3. What is unusual about Montaigne's first book, as opposed to any books thereafter?
4. How did Charles Lamb sign many of his essays?
5. What term best describes the type of literature written by Virginia Woolf?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)