|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Rise of the English Essay-Page 212-302.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Nicolini and the Lions?"
(a) Charles Lamb.
(c) Michel de Montaigne.
(d) Joseph Addison.
2. What career did Montaigne have prior to writing?
(a) He was an attorney.
(b) He was a court clerk.
(c) He was a teacher.
(d) He was a tanner.
3. What term best describes the type of literature written by Virginia Woolf?
(a) Modern fiction.
(c) Epic poetry.
4. What reasoning does Plutarch offer in "Consolation to His Wife?"
(a) There is little sense in praying, as there are no gods.
(b) Memories are nearly as good as the real person.
(c) There is no sense in mourning such a bad person.
(d) There is no sense in mourning someone who was released quickly from their earthly prison.
5. What does a woman's level of attachment to a man depend upon, according to Sei Shonagon?
(a) The quality of gifts the man gives the woman.
(b) The way a man smells.
(c) The elegance with which a man talks to the woman.
(d) The way the man takes his leave of the woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "On Noise," what is necessary for a person to ignore the noise of the outside world?
2. What does "Pleasure Boat Studio" refer to?
3. Which of the following is NOT a feature of Charles Lamb's writing?
4. Abraham Cowley's style is said to reflect what type of person?
5. What does Montaigne have in common with Saint Augustine?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)