|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 44, Denny's lawyer tries to convince Denny that dropping his custody claim would make what go away?
2. In Chapter 33, Enzo says that the emotion of what he is about to say is true, although he freely admits that "the facts may be" what?
3. Denny claims in Chapter 55 that his parents agreed to help him keep Zoë if what?
4. What causes Enzo's revengeful diarrhea in Chapter 39?
5. In Chapter 38, Mark Fein panics when Zoë asks to see whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be seen about the motivations of Maxwell, Trish and Denny in Chapters 32 and 33?
2. How does Enzo relate to Denny's time in jail in Chapter 34?
3. What redeeming change do Denny's parents undergo in Chapter 53?
4. What happens when Denny goes to sign the custody papers in Chapter 48? What does Enzo do and why?
5. What does Enzo's car accident foreshadow in Chapter 46?
6. How are Maxwell and Trish established as the antagonists of the novel in Chapter 44?
7. What does Enzo encounter when he is returned to Denny in Chapter 35? What do they do together?
8. What does Enzo discover about Trish's motivations and thoughts in Chapter 39?
9. What does Enzo learn of Zoë's emotions and desires in Chapter 39?
10. What is the meaning of Enzo's metaphor to race car driving in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Eve's relatives and Annika in the novel. How does Annika relate to Eve? What elements of foreshadowing are illustrated in Annika's character in Chapters 24 and 25? In what ways does the tension increase in these chapters? How does the author employ irony?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the theme of instinctual nature in the novel. When in the narrative has Enzo shown his animal instincts? Why? How are Enzo's instincts in play following Eve's death? How does Eve's death impact Denny, Zoë, and Enzo?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the events in Chapters 22 and 23 and their significance to the plot of the narrative. How is foreshadowing used in this section of the narrative? What is foreshadowed by Maxwell and Trish taking Eve and Zoë into their home? How does Denny feel about the situation?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)