|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What imaginary friend does Enzo believe repays us for whatever we do in this life?
2. How old is Enzo in Chapter 37?
3. The vet informs Denny that Enzo has what, in Chapter 37?
4. In Chapter 34, wonders if Denny realizes that being locked in this small room is a lot like what?
5. In Chapter 29, who ends up playing fetch with Enzo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the actions and emotional state of Denny in Chapter 35. Are Denny's actions redeemable?
2. How are Maxwell and Trish established as the antagonists of the novel in Chapter 44?
3. What does Enzo's car accident foreshadow in Chapter 46?
4. What can be seen about the motivations of Maxwell, Trish and Denny in Chapters 32 and 33?
5. What does Enzo encounter when he is returned to Denny in Chapter 35? What do they do together?
6. How is the character of Mrs. Swift further developed through Denny's discussion in Chapter 55?
7. What does Enzo discover about Trish's motivations and thoughts in Chapter 39?
8. How old is Enzo in Chapter 37? In what ways are his age starting to be felt?
9. What does Denny discover about Zoë in Chapter 42? What leads to this discovery?
10. What does Enzo learn of Zoë's emotions and desires in Chapter 39?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the characters of Mike and Tony and Enzo's experiences staying with them. How does Enzo feel about these characters? How do Mike and Tony relate to Enzo and to Denny? What does Enzo learn from the incident with his favorite toy?
Essay Topic 2
Define, identify, and analyze symbolism and imagery in "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and particularly in Chapter 12. What is represented by Eve's nightmares in Enzo's opinion? How is dream imagery used by the author to present symbolic metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the third-degree child rape charges against Denny in the narrative. What are the minimum and maximum penalties for these charges? What do they mean regarding Zoë's custody battle? Who pressed the charges and on what basis?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)