|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a fee paid to secure services, as of a lawyer?
2. In Chapter 31, Denny meets a lawyer named what?
3. How much money is Denny left owing the vet after leaving with Enzo in Chapter 48?
4. What does Denny do in order to pay his debt to Mark Fein in Chapter 44?
5. In Chapter 51, Enzo finds what to be a huge embarrassment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Enzo's health problems progress in Chapter 51? How does he feel about his situation?
2. What does Denny's lawyer try to convince him to do in Chapter 43? How is the case against Denny building?
3. What is the purpose of Enzo's story of Ayrton Senna in Chapter 47?
4. How old is Enzo in Chapter 50? Who comes to speak with Denny about a job?
5. What does Denny discover about Zoë in Chapter 42? What leads to this discovery?
6. What does Enzo encounter when he is returned to Denny in Chapter 35? What do they do together?
7. What does Enzo learn of Zoë's emotions and desires in Chapter 39?
8. Where do Denny and Enzo begin walking in Chapter 36? How does Enzo describe the walk?
9. What does Enzo discover about Trish's motivations and thoughts in Chapter 39?
10. How old is Enzo in Chapter 37? In what ways are his age starting to be felt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the motif of memory in the novel. What do memories mean to Enzo? What is represented by Enzo's memory of dancing with Zoë in Chapter 20? Why does Enzo want to hold onto these memories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the theme of instinctual nature in the novel. When in the narrative has Enzo shown his animal instincts? Why? How are Enzo's instincts in play following Eve's death? How does Eve's death impact Denny, Zoë, and Enzo?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze Enzo as the protagonist of the novel. How is Enzo's nature revealed in Chapters 10 and 11? How does Enzo reflect complexity and multi-dimensionality as a character? What heroic qualities does he exhibit? How does Enzo's character evolve in the course of the novel?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)