|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a fee paid to secure services, as of a lawyer?
2. Who was the winner of the 24 Hours of LeMans in 1949?
3. Trish and Maxwell are suing Denny for what in Chapter 29?
4. How old is Enzo in Chapter 37?
5. In Chapter 39, Denny leaves town to teach for a weekend and Enzo is allowed to stay where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Maxwell and Trish established as the antagonists of the novel in Chapter 44?
2. What does Denny tell Zoë when he is banned from seeing her in Chapter 38? In what ways do they communicate during this time?
3. How is the character of Mrs. Swift further developed through Denny's discussion in Chapter 55?
4. What is foreshadowed by the change in narrative voice in Chapter 54? What is revealed by the narrator?
5. How do Enzo's health problems progress in Chapter 51? How does he feel about his situation?
6. How and why does Denny's legal team change in Chapter 45? What are the plans moving forward?
7. What does Enzo's car accident foreshadow in Chapter 46?
8. What does Enzo encounter when he is returned to Denny in Chapter 35? What do they do together?
9. How does Enzo relate to Denny's time in jail in Chapter 34?
10. How old is Enzo in Chapter 50? Who comes to speak with Denny about a job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the actions and objectives of Maxwell and Trish. What do Eve's parents hope to attain through the trial and why? Also describe the changes in Denny's legal team in Chapters 44 and 45. How does Mr. Lawrence's approach to Denny's trial differ from Mark Fein's?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the narrative style of the novel. From whose perspective is the story related? What is unique about this point of view? Is this point of view omniscient or limited? Is the story related in the past, present, or future tense? What kind of personality does the narrator exhibit?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify and discuss obstacle and conflict in narrative literature and "The Art of Racing in the Rain". What obstacles does Denny face in his court trial against Trish and Maxwell? What internal conflicts does Enzo face in the narrative? What internal conflicts does Denny face?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)