|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Rockford Files" starred what actor?
2. How is Enzo injured in Chapter 46?
3. On the way to the emergency animal hospital in Chapter 46, Enzo tells the chilling story of the day who died and the mystery surrounding his fateful last lap?
4. What is the name of the cemetery that Enzo and Denny go to in Chapter 36?
5. How much money does Denny give the vet in cash before leaving with Enzo in Chapter 48?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Enzo's car accident foreshadow in Chapter 46?
2. In what ways does the plot progress in Chapter 29? What actions and motivations are revealed in this chapter?
3. What does Enzo learn of Zoë's emotions and desires in Chapter 39?
4. What does Denny discover about Zoë in Chapter 42? What leads to this discovery?
5. What redeeming change do Denny's parents undergo in Chapter 53?
6. How does Enzo relate to Denny's time in jail in Chapter 34?
7. What does Denny tell Zoë when he is banned from seeing her in Chapter 38? In what ways do they communicate during this time?
8. What is foreshadowed by the change in narrative voice in Chapter 54? What is revealed by the narrator?
9. How do Enzo's health problems progress in Chapter 51? How does he feel about his situation?
10. How old is Enzo in Chapter 37? In what ways are his age starting to be felt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the theme of instinctual nature in the novel. When in the narrative has Enzo shown his animal instincts? Why? How are Enzo's instincts in play following Eve's death? How does Eve's death impact Denny, Zoë, and Enzo?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the actions of Enzo in Chapters 46 and 47. Why does Enzo run into traffic? What does he philosophize about as he faces death? Why does Enzo relate Ayrton Senna's story as he approaches the hospital and potentially, his demise? How did Senna die?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the third-degree child rape charges against Denny in the narrative. What are the minimum and maximum penalties for these charges? What do they mean regarding Zoë's custody battle? Who pressed the charges and on what basis?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)