|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 51, Enzo finds what to be a huge embarrassment?
2. Enzo is about to turn how old in Chapter 50?
3. Mike hands Denny a fancy souvenir pen with what floating inside in Chapter 49?
4. In Chapter 50, Denny politely declines a lucrative job offer with Ferrari for the time being, citing what as the reason for turning down the offer?
5. In Chapter 32, Denny takes Enzo to his work where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Denny's lawyer try to convince him to do in Chapter 43? How is the case against Denny building?
2. How are Denny's parents introduced in Chapter 52? How do they compare with Trish and Maxwell?
3. How is the character of Mrs. Swift further developed through Denny's discussion in Chapter 55?
4. What does Denny discover about Zoë in Chapter 42? What leads to this discovery?
5. How and why does Denny's legal team change in Chapter 45? What are the plans moving forward?
6. What does Enzo encounter when he is returned to Denny in Chapter 35? What do they do together?
7. How old is Enzo in Chapter 37? In what ways are his age starting to be felt?
8. What is the meaning of Enzo's metaphor to race car driving in Chapter 30?
9. How do Enzo's health problems progress in Chapter 51? How does he feel about his situation?
10. What is foreshadowed by the change in narrative voice in Chapter 54? What is revealed by the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Enzo's relationship with Zoë in the novel. How does this relationship evolve? What understanding does Enzo gain of Zoë's hopes and fears in Chapters 38 and 39? How does Zoë feel about her father's absence?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the third-degree child rape charges against Denny in the narrative. What are the minimum and maximum penalties for these charges? What do they mean regarding Zoë's custody battle? Who pressed the charges and on what basis?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the motif of memory in the novel. What do memories mean to Enzo? What is represented by Enzo's memory of dancing with Zoë in Chapter 20? Why does Enzo want to hold onto these memories?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)