|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Enzo says that he is ready to do what?
2. Why is Enzo hurt and surprised in Chapter 14?
3. Who offers to pay Zoë's tuition to an upscale private school in Chapter 24?
4. In Chapter 8, Denny once again reminds Enzo that a race car driver has to make friends with what?
5. Denny aspires to be a professional in what sport?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways has Zoë evolved as a character in Chapter 22? How does she prepare for school?
2. How does the title of the book arise in Chapter 8? How does Enzo internalize Denny's comment?
3. How does Eve become injured in Chapter 17? What does Denny do?
4. In what way is the novel structured in terms of the passage of time? What impact does this particular style have on the reader?
5. What obstacles does Denny face against Trish and Maxwell in Chapter 23? What are their motives?
6. What do Enzo's thoughts and actions while he is left alone reveal about his character in Chapter 11?
7. Why do Zoë and Enzo go to Trish and Maxwell's house in Chapter 15? How does Enzo describe Trish and Maxwell?
8. How is humor used as a stylistic element in the novel? What purpose does it serve in terms of the novel's themes?
9. What is Denny's racing career like in Chapter 16? How does this relate to Eve's illness?
10. How does the relationship between Enzo and Eve develop in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the events in Chapters 22 and 23 and their significance to the plot of the narrative. How is foreshadowing used in this section of the narrative? What is foreshadowed by Maxwell and Trish taking Eve and Zoë into their home? How does Denny feel about the situation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the custody proceedings set in place by Maxwell and Trish in the novel. On what basis are they suing for custody of Zoë? Also, discuss the metaphor of Enzo's in Chapter 30. How does Enzo relate auto racing to the court battle over Zoë?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Swift in the novel. What is their interaction with Denny in Chapters 52 and 53? What redeeming qualities do the Swifts exhibit? How do they differ from Trish and Maxwell?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)