|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zoë say is her best friend in Chapter 22?
2. Watkins Glen International is an auto race track located in what state?
3. It is Zoë's first day of what in Chapter 22?
4. What refers to a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
5. What is regarded as the second most intelligent breed of dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is humor used as a stylistic element in the novel? What purpose does it serve in terms of the novel's themes?
2. In what way is the novel structured in terms of the passage of time? What impact does this particular style have on the reader?
3. How does Enzo change his attitude about Eve in Chapter 8? What does Eve represent to Enzo in this chapter?
4. What characters are introduced in Chapter 1? Who is the narrator and protagonist of the novel?
5. How does Enzo eat and use the restroom in Chapter 11? How long is he left alone?
6. What do Denny and Enzo do together in Chapter 20? How does Enzo feel about their relationship?
7. What is significant about Enzo's observations of the forest in Chapter 17? How do these observations relate to the novel's themes?
8. Why is Enzo sent to Mike and Tony's in Chapter 19? What happens with Enzo's toy there?
9. How does Eve become injured in Chapter 17? What does Denny do?
10. What does Enzo spend a summer day doing in Chapter 8? What advice does Denny relate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the actions of Enzo in Chapters 46 and 47. Why does Enzo run into traffic? What does he philosophize about as he faces death? Why does Enzo relate Ayrton Senna's story as he approaches the hospital and potentially, his demise? How did Senna die?
Essay Topic 2
Define, identify, and analyze symbolism and imagery in "The Art of Racing in the Rain" and particularly in Chapter 12. What is represented by Eve's nightmares in Enzo's opinion? How is dream imagery used by the author to present symbolic metaphors?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Enzo's relationship with Zoë in the novel. How does this relationship evolve? What understanding does Enzo gain of Zoë's hopes and fears in Chapters 38 and 39? How does Zoë feel about her father's absence?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)