|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to an injury to the brain or spinal cord due to jarring from a blow, fall, or the like?
2. Denny's long race described in Chapter 8 was eight hours long and Denny was to drive for how long?
3. Who offers to pay Zoë's tuition to an upscale private school in Chapter 24?
4. Who is Zoë sent to stay with while her mother is in surgery in Chapter 19?
5. In Chapter 9, Denny is scouted by a prestigious racing team after participating in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the relationship between Enzo and Eve evolved in Chapter 12? What do Eve's fears reveal about her character?
2. What do Enzo's thoughts and actions while he is left alone reveal about his character in Chapter 11?
3. How is humor used as a stylistic element in the novel? What purpose does it serve in terms of the novel's themes?
4. How does the title of the book arise in Chapter 8? How does Enzo internalize Denny's comment?
5. What is discussed regarding reincarnation in the early chapters of the book? What is foreshadowed in the early chapters regarding this theme?
6. What do Maxwell and Trish ask of Denny in Chapter 23? What is Denny's response?
7. How does Eve become injured in Chapter 17? What does Denny do?
8. How does Enzo change his attitude about Eve in Chapter 8? What does Eve represent to Enzo in this chapter?
9. How does the relationship between Enzo and Eve develop in Chapter 23?
10. How is Enzo introduced in Chapter 1? What is Enzo's greatest concern in this chapter? What does Enzo want to hold onto?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, identify and discuss obstacle and conflict in narrative literature and "The Art of Racing in the Rain". What obstacles does Denny face in his court trial against Trish and Maxwell? What internal conflicts does Enzo face in the narrative? What internal conflicts does Denny face?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme of circular progress in the narrative. How is this theme exhibited through Enzo's revelations of the forest? How is this theme illustrated in the novel's plot structure? How does Enzo view the paradox of life and death?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the characters of Eve's relatives and Annika in the novel. How does Annika relate to Eve? What elements of foreshadowing are illustrated in Annika's character in Chapters 24 and 25? In what ways does the tension increase in these chapters? How does the author employ irony?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)