|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
2. In Chapter 23, Maxwell and Trish convince Denny to allow them to do what?
3. Where does Enzo use the bathroom when he is locked inside in Chapter 11?
4. What are the names of Eve's parents in the novel?
5. Watkins Glen International is owned by what company?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Maxwell and Trish ask of Denny in Chapter 23? What is Denny's response?
2. What characters are introduced in Chapter 1? Who is the narrator and protagonist of the novel?
3. How does the relationship between Enzo and Eve develop in Chapter 23?
4. How does Eve's character evolve in the narrative in Chapter 9? Why?
5. How does Enzo change his attitude about Eve in Chapter 8? What does Eve represent to Enzo in this chapter?
6. What does Enzo remark about reincarnation in Chapter 18? Where did he learn this information?
7. Describe the character of Annika. How is she introduced in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
8. How does the title of the book arise in Chapter 8? How does Enzo internalize Denny's comment?
9. How does Eve become injured in Chapter 17? What does Denny do?
10. What is discussed regarding reincarnation in the early chapters of the book? What is foreshadowed in the early chapters regarding this theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the actions and objectives of Maxwell and Trish. What do Eve's parents hope to attain through the trial and why? Also describe the changes in Denny's legal team in Chapters 44 and 45. How does Mr. Lawrence's approach to Denny's trial differ from Mark Fein's?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the third-degree child rape charges against Denny in the narrative. What are the minimum and maximum penalties for these charges? What do they mean regarding Zoë's custody battle? Who pressed the charges and on what basis?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Enzo's relationship with Zoë in the novel. How does this relationship evolve? What understanding does Enzo gain of Zoë's hopes and fears in Chapters 38 and 39? How does Zoë feel about her father's absence?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)