|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eve tells Enzo that she feels as though something is what, in Chapter 12?
2. Enzo recalls the reaction of crows to having ripped into a bag containing what in Chapter 13?
3. What stuffed animal of Zoë's does Enzo come to believe is evil in Chapter 11?
4. How far is Denny's drive to Seattle in Chapter 25?
5. Without Eve, Denny and Zoë's lives become extremely what, in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is the novel structured in terms of the passage of time? What impact does this particular style have on the reader?
2. What is discussed regarding reincarnation in the early chapters of the book? What is foreshadowed in the early chapters regarding this theme?
3. How is humor used as a stylistic element in the novel? What purpose does it serve in terms of the novel's themes?
4. How does Eve's character evolve in the narrative in Chapter 9? Why?
5. In what ways has Zoë evolved as a character in Chapter 22? How does she prepare for school?
6. What does Enzo spend a summer day doing in Chapter 8? What advice does Denny relate?
7. Describe the character of Annika. How is she introduced in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
8. How does Enzo change his attitude about Eve in Chapter 8? What does Eve represent to Enzo in this chapter?
9. What characters are introduced in Chapter 1? Who is the narrator and protagonist of the novel?
10. Why is Enzo sent to Mike and Tony's in Chapter 19? What happens with Enzo's toy there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the themes of death and grief in the novel. How do Eve's husband and daughter deal with her demise? How does Enzo deal with the death of Eve? How does he relate this death to his own impending demise?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Mr. and Mrs. Swift in the novel. What is their interaction with Denny in Chapters 52 and 53? What redeeming qualities do the Swifts exhibit? How do they differ from Trish and Maxwell?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the custody proceedings set in place by Maxwell and Trish in the novel. On what basis are they suing for custody of Zoë? Also, discuss the metaphor of Enzo's in Chapter 30. How does Enzo relate auto racing to the court battle over Zoë?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)