|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Enzo knows that in his next incarnation, he will return as what?
2. Who narrates the first chapter and the majority of the novel?
3. Denny's long race described in Chapter 8 was eight hours long and Denny was to drive for how long?
4. Who is Enzo's fourth favorite movie actor?
5. Enzo recalls the reaction of crows to having ripped into a bag containing what in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Enzo eat and use the restroom in Chapter 11? How long is he left alone?
2. What obstacles does Denny face against Trish and Maxwell in Chapter 23? What are their motives?
3. How does Eve's character evolve in Chapter 26? What has she learned in the narrative?
4. What do Enzo's thoughts and actions while he is left alone reveal about his character in Chapter 11?
5. In what ways has Zoë evolved as a character in Chapter 22? How does she prepare for school?
6. How does the relationship between Enzo and Eve develop in Chapter 23?
7. What does Enzo remark about reincarnation in Chapter 18? Where did he learn this information?
8. What is Denny's racing career like in Chapter 16? How does this relate to Eve's illness?
9. Why do Zoë and Enzo go to Trish and Maxwell's house in Chapter 15? How does Enzo describe Trish and Maxwell?
10. What do Maxwell and Trish ask of Denny in Chapter 23? What is Denny's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the motif of memory in the novel. What do memories mean to Enzo? What is represented by Enzo's memory of dancing with Zoë in Chapter 20? Why does Enzo want to hold onto these memories?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the third-degree child rape charges against Denny in the narrative. What are the minimum and maximum penalties for these charges? What do they mean regarding Zoë's custody battle? Who pressed the charges and on what basis?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the themes of death and grief in the novel. How do Eve's husband and daughter deal with her demise? How does Enzo deal with the death of Eve? How does he relate this death to his own impending demise?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)