|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Denny's wife in the novel?
2. On the day of the Slippery Slabs, who becomes injured?
3. In Chapter 21, Enzo remembers an especially glorious day when Zoë put on what?
(a) Her tiara.
(b) Her ballet costume.
(c) Her sun dress.
(d) Her butterfly wings.
4. Denny's long race described in Chapter 8 was eight hours long and Denny was to drive for how long?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 2 hours.
(d) 5 hours.
5. Where does Denny live in the novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctor has given Eve how long to live in Chapter 23?
2. Why does Zoë refuse to eat her chicken nuggets in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 3, Denny tells Enzo that "balance, anticipation" and what are vital if one is going to be a successful race car driver?
4. What does Enzo refer to Maxwell and Trish as in the novel?
5. What refers to a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Denny and Enzo do together in Chapter 20? How does Enzo feel about their relationship?
2. How does the title of the book arise in Chapter 8? How does Enzo internalize Denny's comment?
3. What does Enzo spend a summer day doing in Chapter 8? What advice does Denny relate?
4. How does Enzo eat and use the restroom in Chapter 11? How long is he left alone?
5. How has the relationship between Enzo and Eve evolved in Chapter 12? What do Eve's fears reveal about her character?
6. How does Enzo describe his feelings about Eve in Chapter 6? How have his feelings changed?
7. What characters are introduced in Chapter 1? Who is the narrator and protagonist of the novel?
8. In what way is the novel structured in terms of the passage of time? What impact does this particular style have on the reader?
9. What is significant about Enzo's observations of the forest in Chapter 17? How do these observations relate to the novel's themes?
10. What is discussed regarding reincarnation in the early chapters of the book? What is foreshadowed in the early chapters regarding this theme?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)