|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Enzo learn that only those dogs that are deemed ready are permitted to come back as people in Chapter 18?
(a) The Buddhist Channel.
(b) The National Geographic Channel.
(c) Animal Planet.
(d) The Christian Life Channel.
2. When Denny suggests that Eve and Zoë go on the road with him, what is Eve's response in Chapter 16?
(a) She politely declines.
(b) She tells him she wants a divorce.
(c) She tells him he can take Zoë.
(d) She accepts.
3. Whidbey Island is approximately how far north of Seattle?
(a) 200 miles.
(b) 60 miles.
(c) 30 miles.
(d) 100 miles.
4. Why does Zoë refuse to eat her chicken nuggets in Chapter 14?
(a) She is vegetarian.
(b) They are rancid.
(c) The dog licked them.
(d) She is spoiled.
5. What has been the most popular breed of dog by registered ownership in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States since 1991?
(a) Labrador Retriever.
(c) Border Collie.
(d) German Shepherd.
Short Answer Questions
1. Maxwell and Trish try to talk Denny into transferring Zoë to a school that is where in Chapter 24?
2. What is regarded as the most intelligent breed of dog?
3. What is regarded as the second most intelligent breed of dog?
4. In Chapter 9, Denny is scouted by a prestigious racing team after participating in what?
5. Denny's long race described in Chapter 8 was eight hours long and Denny was to drive for how long?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Enzo's observations of the forest in Chapter 17? How do these observations relate to the novel's themes?
2. How is humor used as a stylistic element in the novel? What purpose does it serve in terms of the novel's themes?
3. In what way is the novel structured in terms of the passage of time? What impact does this particular style have on the reader?
4. What are Enzo's views on television? What channels does he particularly enjoy and why?
5. How does Enzo change his attitude about Eve in Chapter 8? What does Eve represent to Enzo in this chapter?
6. What is Denny's racing career like in Chapter 16? How does this relate to Eve's illness?
7. How does Enzo describe his feelings about Eve in Chapter 6? How have his feelings changed?
8. Describe the character of Annika. How is she introduced in Chapter 25? What is foreshadowed in this chapter?
9. What do Denny and Enzo do together in Chapter 20? How does Enzo feel about their relationship?
10. How does Enzo's relationship with Eve develop in Chapter 7?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)