|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A play is said to be _____ when its characters move too quickly, jumping from emotion to emotion because they are one-dimensional, and their actions make little sense?
2. What does the author assert is imperative because it shows how a character can move from one emotion to another?
3. Tartuffe is whose houseguest in the play "Tartuffe"?
4. Who is the object of Tartuffe's lust in "Tartuffe"?
5. What is always relative to someone or something, according to the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author's example from "Tartuffe" regarding conflict?
2. How can messages be conveyed with dialogue? What should the writer avoid?
3. Where does the author assert exposition should exist in a play?
4. What does Egri cite from the play "Ghosts" to show transition?
5. What is the opposite of rising conflict?
6. What kind of conflict does the author exemplify in the play "Idiot's Delight"?
7. What does Egri show by example with the play "Stevedore"?
8. What are the four divisions of conflict related by the author?
9. How does the author relate conflict to genetics?
10. What work by Leonardo da Vinci does Egri cite as an example of transition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the element and characteristics of action. How is action defined by the author? What drives the action of a play?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Egri's definition of "bone structure." What components make up the bone structure of a character or a person?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the play "King Lear" and Egri's assessment of its premise. Who is the pivotal character? Who is the antagonist?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)