|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Classic Greek philosopher claimed character was secondary to action?
2. Whom does Oedipus marry?
3. According to the author, every sensible invention must have _____.
4. Who is the father of Oedipus?
5. The antagonist in a play or work of literature faces off against _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Egri relate man's mind with his physical body in describing character development?
2. How does the author define premise? What is the importance of the premise?
3. Do all writers know their premise? What are the author's thoughts on this?
4. How does the author claim a story moving from love to hate should be orchestrated?
5. How does Egri view the correlation between thinking and premise?
6. How important is a character's environment to their actions?
7. What does the author claim is the one key factor in obtaining conflict?
8. What does the author say about compromise between the pivotal character and the antagonist? Can it be achieved?
9. What example of growth does the author describe in "A Doll's House"?
10. How does the author show the importance of character in "Oedipus Rex"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the unity of opposites. How does the author define this term? What does he relate about compromise in the reading?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss static conflict as described by the author. What plays does he cite as examples of static conflict and why?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss strength of will in character development. Also, define and analyze the terms strength, will, fight, conflict, and transition.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)