|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A play is said to be _____ when its characters move too quickly, jumping from emotion to emotion because they are one-dimensional, and their actions make little sense?
2. Who wrote the play "Hay Fever"?
(a) Noel Coward.
(b) Henrik Ibsen.
(c) Govind Deshpande.
(d) August Strindberg.
3. Who wrote the play "Stevedore"?
(a) Henrik Ibsen.
(b) George S. Kaufman.
(c) Paul Peters.
(d) Edna Ferber.
4. Who wrote the play "Tartuffe"?
5. Who is the priest in the play "Ghosts"?
(a) Cleric Engstrand.
(b) Pastor Engstrand.
(c) Pastor Manders.
(d) Cleric Alving.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hedda Gabler's father in the play of the same name is _____.
2. It is stated by the author that rising conflict will result in _____.
3. In one line of dialogue, a character will be delighted with their life, and two lines later, disturbingly mad. What kind of conflict is this an example of?
4. What is the name of Hedda's husband in "Hedda Gabler"?
5. Who is about to dedicate an orphanage that they have built in the play "Ghosts"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first division of conflict the author describes in detail in the text?
2. What does the author show in the play "Design for Living"?
3. How is transition shown in Moliere's "Tartuffe" in the text?
4. What is Egri's response to Aristotle's theory on story structure?
5. What are the four divisions of conflict related by the author?
6. What work by Leonardo da Vinci does Egri cite as an example of transition?
7. What is the author's example from "Tartuffe" regarding conflict?
8. How does the author approach the discussion of exposition in a dramatic work?
9. What does Egri cite from the play "Ghosts" to show transition?
10. What is the definition and importance of conflict in drama?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)