|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The action of "Hedda Gabler" takes place in a villa in _____.
2. Shakespeare, according to the author, ignored _____ rules for writing.
3. What does the author assert is imperative because it shows how a character can move from one emotion to another?
4. How many children does Nora have in "A Doll's House"?
5. Who is the pivotal character in "The Cherry Orchard"?
(b) Leonid Andreyevitch Gaev.
(c) Mme. Ranevsky.
6. What is often referred to as the scene for which everyone is waiting, the scene which has been promised throughout and which cannot be eliminated?
7. The author stresses that it is bad play writing to create atmosphere and gather evidence of the problem before establishing _____.
8. The author believes the writer to be lost if he is spending his time worrying about _____.
(a) The introduction.
(b) What others will think.
(c) The climax.
(d) Developing secondary characters.
9. What does Egri define as the no-return point and the highest in the scene?
(c) Event horizon.
10. Who is the object of Tartuffe's lust in "Tartuffe"?
(b) Madame Pernelle.
11. Who wrote the play "Dinner at Eight"?
(a) Henrik Ibsen.
(b) Edna Ferber.
(c) George S. Kaufman.
(d) George S. Kaufman and Edna Ferber.
12. What does Lajos Egri define as a state of things in which a decisive change one way or another is impending?
(b) Fork in the road.
(d) Turning point.
13. Who wrote the play "Black Pit"?
(a) Paul Peters.
(b) George S. Kaufman.
(c) Henrik Ibsen.
(d) Albert Maltz.
14. According to the author, a good _____ is where something vital is at stake at the very beginning of a play.
(b) Point of attack.
15. What playwright does the author assert produced badly written plays after World War II had just finished, and dealt with problems rather tame and different, compared to what people had just gone through with the war?
(a) Erskine Caldwell.
(b) Osias L. Schwarz.
(c) Robert E. Sherwood.
(d) Noel Coward.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "Tobacco Road" first performed?
2. In the beginning of "Hedda Gabler", the heroine has just returned home from _____.
3. To examine how gradually a person moves from one pole to the other, the author cites from one of _____ works that studies the peaceful death of a perfectly healthy old man.
4. What dance does the character of Nora famously dance in "A Doll's House"?
5. Lajos Egri believes that the greatest fault of the play "Stevedore", is a serious lack of _____.
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)