|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the basic physical unit of heredity; a linear sequence of nucleotides along a segment of DNA?
2. What is Hedda's married name in the play "Hedda Gabler"?
3. Who wrote "The Cherry Orchard"?
(a) Henrik Ibsen.
(b) Anton Chekhov.
(c) Albert Maltz.
(d) William Shakespeare.
4. What is the last name of Sorel and Simon in "Hay Fever"?
5. A play is said to be _____ when its characters move too quickly, jumping from emotion to emotion because they are one-dimensional, and their actions make little sense?
6. When did "The Cherry Orchard" premiere?
7. What does the author assert is the ideal type of conflict?
8. Who tells Krogstad that she only married her husband because she had no other means to support her sick mother and young siblings in "A Doll's House"?
(d) Dr. Rank.
9. When was "Tobacco Road" first performed?
10. Who is a carpenter in the play "Ghosts"?
(a) Jacob Engstrand.
(b) Oswald Alving.
(c) Pastor Manders.
(d) Captain Alving.
11. Who wrote the play "Black Pit"?
(a) Paul Peters.
(b) Albert Maltz.
(c) Henrik Ibsen.
(d) George S. Kaufman.
12. "Hymn to the Rising Sun" is cited in Book IV: General, Chapter 3: Dialogue to prove how _____ can be put forth competently without force or illogical, out-of-character dialogue?
13. It is stated by the author that rising conflict will result in _____.
(b) Second-rate dialogue.
(d) First-rate dialogue.
14. When the character neither has a strong will nor knows what he wants, what kind of conflict arises?
15. Shakespeare, according to the author, ignored _____ rules for writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosopher surmised that "every story must have a beginning, middle, and an end"?
2. Who is the priest in the play "Ghosts"?
3. The author stresses that it is bad play writing to create atmosphere and gather evidence of the problem before establishing _____.
4. According to the author, a good _____ is where something vital is at stake at the very beginning of a play.
5. The author asserts by example that what act more as a unit than humans?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)