|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In one line of dialogue, a character will be delighted with their life, and two lines later, disturbingly mad. What kind of conflict is this an example of?
2. How many children does Nora have in "A Doll's House"?
3. When was "Tobacco Road" first performed?
4. What does the author assert arises from environment and one's social situation?
5. What term refers to a test, trial, or tentative procedure; an act or operation to discover something unknown or of testing a principle?
(b) Guess work.
(d) Dry run.
6. When a play jumps, the conflict lags, and if that happens, the trouble is directed back to not having a clear-cut what?
7. Who wrote the play "Tobacco Road"?
(a) Erskine Caldwell.
(b) Osias L. Schwarz.
(c) Robert E. Sherwood.
(d) Noel Coward.
8. Who wrote the play "Black Pit"?
(a) George S. Kaufman.
(b) Albert Maltz.
(c) Henrik Ibsen.
(d) Paul Peters.
9. "Hymn to the Rising Sun" is cited in Book IV: General, Chapter 3: Dialogue to prove how _____ can be put forth competently without force or illogical, out-of-character dialogue?
10. Lajos Egri believes that the greatest fault of the play "Stevedore", is a serious lack of _____.
11. What philosopher surmised that "every story must have a beginning, middle, and an end"?
12. Who wrote that the obligatory scene "is the immediate goal toward which the play is driving"?
(a) John Howard Lawson.
(b) Albert Maltz.
(c) Anton Chekhov.
(d) Lajos Egri.
13. What happens at the end of "The Cherry Orchard"?
(a) The cherries are harvested.
(b) Everyone drinks cherry wine.
(c) The orchard is cut down.
(d) A new orchard is planted.
14. What does Lajos Egri define as a state of things in which a decisive change one way or another is impending?
(b) Turning point.
(c) Fork in the road.
15. What verb means to lay stress upon stress?
(a) None of the answers is correct.
(b) Blow up.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the basic physical unit of heredity; a linear sequence of nucleotides along a segment of DNA?
2. To examine how gradually a person moves from one pole to the other, the author cites from one of _____ works that studies the peaceful death of a perfectly healthy old man.
3. In the beginning of "Hedda Gabler", the heroine has just returned home from _____.
4. Who wrote the play "Tartuffe"?
5. In Book III: Conflict, Chapter 1: Origin of Action, the author claims that every action has components that _____.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)