|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who translated Ibsen's "The Pillars of Society" to English?
(a) August Strindberg.
(b) Anton Chekhov.
(c) William Archer.
(d) Lajos Egri.
2. What childless widow is friends with Nora in "A Doll's House"?
(a) Christine Krogstad.
(b) Christine Rank.
(c) Christine Linde.
(d) Christine Torvald.
3. What refers to a dramatic form that does not observe the laws of cause and effect and that exaggerates emotion and emphasizes plot or action at the expense of characterization?
(b) Over dramatization.
(c) Ultimate drama.
4. Whom is Christine in love with in "A Doll's House"?
(c) Dr. Rank.
5. What was Lajos Egri's profession when he arrived in the United States?
(a) Garment worker.
(c) Shoe shiner.
(d) Chimney sweep.
6. What are defined as habitual patterns of behavior, thought, and emotion?
(c) Personality traits.
7. What term refers to a person represented in a drama or story?
8. Who reveals he has entered the terminal stage of tuberculosis in "A Doll's House"?
(a) Dr. Rank.
9. Who wrote the play "A Doll's House"?
(a) Henrik Ibsen.
(b) Anton Chekhov.
(c) August Strindberg.
(d) William Shakespeare.
10. What does Lajos Egri state first and foremost the writer must have of his characters?
11. What classical Greek Athenian philosopher was credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy and was known chiefly through the accounts of later classical writers, especially the writings of his students?
12. In Book II, Character, Chapter 11: Unity of Opposites, the author states that the antagonist and pivotal character absolutely cannot do what?
(b) Have a common friend.
(c) Kill each other.
(d) Be friends.
13. Where was Lajos Egri born?
14. The author takes a look at when a play's story moves from something like love to hate, and claims that in order to have this, things need to be _____.
(c) Blurred together.
15. What refers to the psychological classification of different types of individuals?
(d) Personality type.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Nora borrow money in "A Doll's House"?
2. According to the author, it is essential that the main character have no _____ toward his ends.
3. Who kills Macbeth at the end of "The Tragedy of Macbeth"?
4. Book II, Character, Chapter 2: Environment discusses how a man's environment, health, and what will shape him into what he is?
5. What term refers to any contest or struggle?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)