|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author undoubtedly wants his characters to be the play in order to express _____.
(a) The suspense.
(b) The ending.
(c) The premise.
(d) The plot.
2. In Book II, Character, Chapter 11: Unity of Opposites, the author states that the antagonist and pivotal character absolutely cannot do what?
(a) Be friends.
(c) Have a common friend.
(d) Kill each other.
3. Who hid Desdemona's handkerchief in Cassio's lodging in "Othello"?
4. What must every planned sprint have, according to the author in Book I: The Premise?
(a) A destination.
(b) A starting gun.
(c) Resting points.
(d) A start line.
5. Who is the father of Oedipus?
(a) King Laius.
(b) King Pelops.
6. What term is called storyline, the plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story?
7. Whom does Macbeth first kill in "The Tragedy of Macbeth"?
(c) King Duncan.
8. What term refers to a lack of conflict in a scene or play?
9. Where is the man who meets the dog going in the author's scenario in Book II, Character, Chapter 11: Unity of Opposites?
(b) The Library.
(c) The courthouse.
(d) A restaurant.
10. What French author and dramatist is cited in Book I: The Premise as stating "How can you tell what road to take unless you know where you are going?"
(a) Henri Bergson, the Older.
(b) Jean-Paul Sartre, the Older.
(c) François Mauriac, the Younger.
(d) Alexandre Dumas, the Younger.
11. In Book II: Character, Chapter 3: The Dialectical Approach, the author exemplifies his approach by creating a female character who turns to _____.
(a) Her mother.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her father.
12. What does Lajos Egri define as being what a writer sets out to prove with his story?
(a) The plot.
(b) The truth.
(c) The laws of science.
(d) The premise.
13. What is needed to make life keep constantly going, according to the author in Book II: Character, Chapter 3: The Dialectical Approach?
14. In Book II, Character, Chapter 11: Unity of Opposites, the author creates a skit where an abandoned street dog makes friends with what?
(a) A girl.
(b) A woman.
(c) A boy.
(d) A man.
15. When did Lajos Egri die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Oedipus Rex"?
2. When was "Oedipus Rex" first performed?
3. What classical Greek Athenian philosopher was credited as one of the founders of Western philosophy and was known chiefly through the accounts of later classical writers, especially the writings of his students?
4. What does Lajos Egri claim to be the premise of "Romeo and Juliet"?
5. What does Lajos Egri claim to be the premise of King Lear?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)