|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Oedipus do in the ending of "Oedipus Rex"?
(a) Hangs himself.
(b) Blinds himself.
(c) Shoots himself.
(d) Cuts his wrist.
2. Whom does Macbeth first kill in "The Tragedy of Macbeth"?
(b) King Duncan.
3. According to the author, every sensible invention must have _____.
(a) A purpose.
(b) An owner.
(d) A price.
4. What childless widow is friends with Nora in "A Doll's House"?
(a) Christine Torvald.
(b) Christine Rank.
(c) Christine Linde.
(d) Christine Krogstad.
5. When did Lajos Egri come to the United States?
6. In Book II, Character, Chapter 11: Unity of Opposites, the author creates a skit where an abandoned street dog makes friends with what?
(a) A girl.
(b) A woman.
(c) A man.
(d) A boy.
7. What French writer and critic born in 1849 said every play needs a goal?
(a) Jean Michel Jarre.
(b) Ferdinand Brunetière.
(c) Jean Giraudoux.
(d) Pierre de Ronsard.
8. Who is Romeo's cousin in "Romeo and Juliet"?
(b) Friar John.
9. When focusing on exactly how the pivotal character will come to lead a cause, the author explains that something is to be _____.
(a) At stake for them.
(d) In conflict.
10. What refers to the psychological classification of different types of individuals?
(c) Personality type.
11. When was Lajos Egri born?
12. What term is called storyline, the plan, scheme, or main story of a literary or dramatic work, as a play, novel, or short story?
13. Whom does the man live with, in the scenario created by the author in Book II, Character, Chapter 11: Unity of Opposites?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His wife.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
14. When did Lajos Egri die?
15. What character element is established from detailing his body and health, the people around him and his environment, and his mind?
Short Answer Questions
1. What term is defined by Webster's Dictionary as "a proposition antecedently supposed or proved; a basis of argument. A proposition stated or assumed as leading to a conclusion"?
2. Whom do Juliet's parents try to get her to marry in "Romeo and Juliet"?
3. What French author and dramatist is cited in Book I: The Premise as stating "How can you tell what road to take unless you know where you are going?"
4. According to the author, a character must represent the influence his _____ has had on him.
5. According to the author, characters must do what, for if a character is the same way in the beginning as he is in the end, the play is bad?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)